Gransnet forums

Chat

What would you grab if you had two minutes to leave your house?

(74 Posts)
Menopaws Sat 17-Feb-18 19:44:28

Not in a nasty situation but just for fun, what would you grab if you had two minutes before you left your house. Apart from the obvious like children, grandchildren, pets and documents, is there something else? I have a bronze figure of two racehorses which I bought with help from my family for my 40th which I would hate to lose.

M0nica Mon 19-Feb-18 17:59:39

Photograph albums and family archive.

The present can be recreated, the past can't

whitewave Mon 19-Feb-18 10:48:42

The dog.

Then purse and laptop as all the necessary information is on there. Plus phone to make all phone calls.

We do have a big file box/ safe thing with everything in it like the will, house deeds etc but I doubt in my panic I would remember it.
Family photos sound good as well but I would be a bit loaded down and probably perish in the fire!

Willow500 Mon 19-Feb-18 09:40:39

Grabbing either of my cats would be very difficult so I'd probably die in the attempt (or open the doors for them to escape). After that it would be my contact lenses if it was at night or my glasses if it was during the day, my iPad and handbag and as many photo albums as I could carry! I've often had a dream where I've come downstairs to find the house has been burgled and my bag gone - for some reason if I'm ever at home on my own at night I always take it to bed with me but don't bother if I'm not which is daft. We were burgled years ago and they did take my purse so that's probably why it's always at the back of my mind!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 19-Feb-18 09:09:58

The cat in his basket. Mobile phone, photograph albums, patchwork quilt. Keys, laptop.

loopyloo Mon 19-Feb-18 08:11:01

Which reminds me, I must buy a fireproof safe to keep all our certificates and passports in. And a new fire extinguisher, the one we have is out of date.
Melon, why did your rooves catch fire? Had there been a loft conversion?

Magrithea Sun 18-Feb-18 22:03:29

The scrap book photo albums that DH has created since before we got together. They document our life together as I first appear about halfway through book 1!!

Moving1 Sun 18-Feb-18 20:28:46

My photos of family and 3 very old cuddly toys ..

shirleyhick Sun 18-Feb-18 20:09:02

A coat in case it is cold outside, my photo albums & my phone

Smithy Sun 18-Feb-18 19:44:17

The memory box I made of momentoes of my mum dad and brother and my bag with keys fone and money.

newnanny Sun 18-Feb-18 19:38:32

Jewelry, phone, marriage certificate, photo of my Mum and Dad and handbag.

B9exchange Sun 18-Feb-18 19:22:00

Handbag, jewellery and photos. After cats and husband of course! grin

Legs55 Sun 18-Feb-18 18:23:18

Peardrop50 you made me laugh with night-time list. Mine would be my teddy bear, he's gone everywhere with me over the last 62+ years, medication (I'm Epileptic & Diabetic) & my jewellery, 3 gold chains & gold bracelet which was my Granny's 21st Birthday present. Clean knickers if timeblush.

First thing I would grab is PJs as I don't wear anything in bedblush oh & car keys

Sheilasue Sun 18-Feb-18 18:20:56

My sons ashes.

Peardrop50 Sun 18-Feb-18 18:02:02

Day time it would be photos, laptop, glasses and car keys.
Night time it would be teeth, glass eye, wig, hearing aid and wooden leg

TwiceAsNice Sun 18-Feb-18 16:48:04

Purse car keys and glasses. Passport is kept at my daughters as we always holiday together if we go abroad. iPad if I had time. Everything else can be replaced easily. I too have many diaries but I fear 2 minutes wouldn't be enough time to grab them.

Grandmama Sun 18-Feb-18 16:39:57

Laptop for my family history, late father's signet ring, parent's Quaker marriage certificate(signed by all present at the Meeting during which they were married) and my two teddies, both the worse for wear, having been loved so much.

oldgaijin Sun 18-Feb-18 15:41:44

Laptop, handbag which has passport/driving licence in it, family photos and a spare pair of knickers.

Billybob4491 Sun 18-Feb-18 15:24:31

My husband's wheelchair, with my husband in it!

MaggieMay60 Sun 18-Feb-18 14:48:57

my Laptop, the diamond ring that my DH bought me for my 60th - we couldn't afford an expensive ring when we got married, my beautiful bronze hare that my friends gave me for my big birthday and my scrapbooks/photo albums. I would need a wheelbarrow I think!

varian Sun 18-Feb-18 14:38:03

What a dreadful experience, gmelon. You must be grateful to your neighbour. I would not have thought about car keys.

Beavermist Sun 18-Feb-18 14:33:41

My 3 dogs then phone and handbag

farview Sun 18-Feb-18 14:26:19

Photos(many as possible) car keys coat maybe the wine rack? !!!

gmelon Sun 18-Feb-18 14:24:49

This actually happened to me.
4am there was hammering on the door to evacuate because the rooves of our houses were on fire.

My very clever neighbour made me get my car keys and money/cards.

He somehow knew that cars near the fire are moved forcibly because of the petrol in them. Windows smashed etc to get access and get the vehicles away fast.

I'd have just run outside with nothing.

Myself and four other neighbours sat in my car behind the taped off shut road and watched the houses go up. I did not know flames could reach that high. It looked as if they'd touch the heavens.

The whole row of roofs caught fire , mine was a three storey victorian house in the middle.
The houses were structurally unsound afterwards so not allowed back in. All i had were the clothes i stood up in.
But....I had my car and that was a godsend.
Thankfully I've always kept my photos in the garage or outside brick shed. Seal them in those plastic storage boxes that shut tight.

harrysgran Sun 18-Feb-18 14:24:42

Family photos and my mother's wedding ring hopefully I would have my mobile phone with me to ring fire brigade

Saggi Sun 18-Feb-18 14:24:07

Photos and file with documents in. Nothing else matters