Gransnet forums

Chat

Reheating cooked meat

(23 Posts)
M0nica Mon 19-Feb-18 19:16:47

I froze the remains of the turkey and have just finished the last few pieces. I usually use them in some made up dish. In this case I fried the turkey with some leeks, covered it with cheese sauce and a gratin topping, put it in the oven for half an hour and DH, DGD and myself ate it, with absolutely no deleterious effects. I still have a large container of turkey soup in the freezer, waiting defrosting, reheating, simmering for 4 minutes and then eating.

MissAdventure Mon 19-Feb-18 19:02:30

It was cooked pork. I heated it in the microwave, and no ill effects yet. I was worried with every mouthful though.

grannyticktock Mon 19-Feb-18 18:55:29

Oh I do that all the time - freeze surplus portions of stews, curries etc and reheat as required.. The only difference in this case was that it entailed slices of cooked meat, not necessarily covered in gravy etc.

Fennel Mon 19-Feb-18 18:00:04

I agree, M0nica. I also have (had) containers of frozen meat casseroles in our freezer. No problems after re-heating.
Being over cautious results in a lot of unecessary food wastage. Including throwing out over-date frozen foods.

M0nica Mon 19-Feb-18 17:47:59

Depends on when you cooked it and how it has been stored. Meat cooked yesterday, stored in the fridge, can be heated through this evening with out any worry.

What type of meat are you reheating. I have lots of home-made meat-based ready meals in my freezer and I either put them in a casserole in the oven until they simmer or in the microwave until heated through. I have been doing this for over 40 years, without any member of the family or friends ever being made ill.

I think the dangers of reheating cooked meat are over exaggerated. Use your commonsense and sense of smell and heat thoroughly.

grannyticktock Sun 18-Feb-18 20:37:34

I used to do that with turkey after Christmas, if there was plenty: put some slices in a flattish dish, cover with stock and freeze. Then I would thaw it and reheat in the oven or microwave, and thicken the stock to make gravy. Instant Christmas dinner - but it was never the same without the chestnut stuffing, which always got eaten up.

jusnoneed Sun 18-Feb-18 20:24:28

I sometimes freeze leftover roast
meat to use later, always put it in a container with some gravy and into freezer. When I use it I defrost it and put it in the oven for at least half an hour, making sure it's been heated through properly.

MissAdventure Sun 18-Feb-18 19:53:23

Well, we've eaten it now, but I was worrying with every mouthful in case it wasn't hot enough. blush
Time will tell, I suppose.

Jalima1108 Sun 18-Feb-18 18:56:19

Stick a metal skewer into it afterwards, put the skewer to your lip and it it feels very hot indeed (burning), then it should be OK.
Not very scientific and you could end up with a sore lip, but I used to do that before I had the meat thermometer.

MissAdventure Sun 18-Feb-18 17:53:57

Its thinly sliced, so i'll probably use the microwave now, and wait until its bubbling.

gangy5 Sun 18-Feb-18 17:30:40

In catering - all reheating has to be to a temperature of 70C to avoid food food poisoning. If you are worried there are food thermometers available. The main thing is to make sure that it is well heated through - nothing too thick.

grannyticktock Sun 18-Feb-18 17:14:09

Microwave would get my vote, it's the ideal way to get the meat really hot in minutes without drying it out.

MissAdventure Sun 18-Feb-18 16:17:42

Thank you, I think the oven with gravy is the way to go. Either that or i'll cook some chicken. smile

Fennel Sun 18-Feb-18 16:16:08

Slice the meat thinly first. As Melon mentioned.
Don't try to warm it up in a lump.

Jalima1108 Sun 18-Feb-18 15:23:38

I'd never just lay the meat in hot gravy, that way could lead to food poisoning; either serve the meat cold with the gravy over the vegetables or reheat the meat in the gravy thoroughly until piping hot and the gravy has been bubbling for a while. I use a meat thermometer which I bought cheaply from the farm shop.

gmelon Sun 18-Feb-18 15:19:39

Missed out the bit where the kitchen of the residential homes etc would put gravy in with the sliced meat.

Charleygirl Sun 18-Feb-18 15:17:50

Yes, it must be piping hot. You could pop it into the microwave- I personally would not re- heat cold meat but that is me. I would have hot potatoes and vegetables and as I am not a lover of gravy that would not bother me.

gmelon Sun 18-Feb-18 15:16:05

Hot gravy, foil or lid on the dish and into the oven.
Microwave can work too , need plenty of gravy.
I read about a lady who steams her turkey or chicken, puts it on a wire mesh tray (cake cooling tray type) and then over water or stock in a tray underneath. Seals it tightly with foil and puts in oven. I haven't tried this.

There was a working practice in kitchens of residential homesand places catering for large numbers etc that cooked large joints of meat on a Saturday, then refrigerated them overnight for Sunday's roast dinners.

On Sunday the meat would slice like a dream because it was cold and then it was loaded into large trays, covered in foil and into the ovens.
I really did save time for the mammoth task of all those Sunday roasts.

BlueBelle Sun 18-Feb-18 15:16:01

I use the microwave

MissAdventure Sun 18-Feb-18 15:13:23

I was thinking of putting it in the oven, in gravy, but I'm also no great cook. I'm sure it would need to be piping hot to be safe. I wouldn't mind, but I hold a food hygiene certificate! blush

silverlining48 Sun 18-Feb-18 15:10:48

What happened to the roast chicken?!

silverlining48 Sun 18-Feb-18 15:09:58

I would cook the meat very slowly on a low heat in the gravy or a tin of tomatoes. Stir every now and again.
If you just put it in hot gravy it won’t really warm up.
I am no cook so no doubt others will be along with better advice. [roast chicken]
Good luck

MissAdventure Sun 18-Feb-18 15:01:46

I'm unsure of the best way to go about it, so any tips would be welcome, please?
My friend says to just lay the meat in hot gravy, but I'm not sure that would heat it enough.