Gransnet forums

Chat

Would the age of a cleaner bother you?

(36 Posts)
littleflo Tue 20-Feb-18 11:47:50

I have employed cleaners for the past 20 years. They have always been much younger than me. My latest lady has gone back home and I am currently advertising for a replacement.

A lady is coming tomorrow for a trial. She is 65 and quite tiny. I don’t know why, but the thought of having someone so close to my age makes me feel odd.

NanaPlenty Thu 22-Feb-18 20:18:20

I clean for a lady around the same age as me, I'm 59. We get on really well. She knows she can trust me in all respects and I just get on and do what's needed. When we do meet up we share a lot in common so it's really nice to have a natter. I'm sure it will work out just fine - what's to lose!

goldengirl Thu 22-Feb-18 15:53:30

I'd love a cleaner but after my best ever lady [older than me] left] I had some right bad ones. I have now purchased duster on a long pole and a rotating scrubbing head gadget both from TV shopping which are proving successful. I have the vacuum cleaner [cordless] and a floor mop and hey presto! it doesn't take as long as it did, keeps me a bit fitter than I am and is cheaper than a cleaner. Mind you my efforts would not suit someone who likes things to 'gleam'!!!

newnanny Thu 22-Feb-18 13:37:36

I have employed a couple of cleaners the first was 63 when she arrived and we had her for almost 7 years unfortunately she got cancer and had to leave. The second was in her mid 50's and not so good. We kept her for 2 years but then when she kept leaving up to half an hour early each time we let her go. I prefer older cleaners because they have had time to build up experience and are not afraid of hard work. Now I have retired early so at home to do my own cleaning.

FarNorth Thu 22-Feb-18 11:29:24

As the older lady seems the best applicant, why not have a trial period to see how you suit each other?

littleflo Wed 21-Feb-18 13:53:26

I advertised locally in Newsagent window. I ask applicants for home address, NI number and references. I advertised for a mature cleaner. You are not near me or I could have passed on some names. Not sure if this is allowed, But there is another company called Maid2Clean. I have not used them, but they find you a cleaner, do references and homecheck and then send the cleaner to you for interview. You pay the cleaner direct and the admin fee to the Agency. The only drawback I saw was that they needed 2months notice to cancel.

annodomini Wed 21-Feb-18 09:35:38

littleflo. I am in North East Cheshire - not far from Stockport. After having my hip 'done' and a year later a shoulder operation, I used a cleaning agency who sent a young woman fortnightly. I was very reluctant to give her up but had to admit that I was fit to do my own housework. Now, with arthritic knees and dodgy hands, I could do with more permanent help. One of my friends says she will ask her cleaner if she has time for another client.

PamelaJ1 Wed 21-Feb-18 08:33:48

I’m 64, I swim and play tennis, am quite capable of cleaning.
A way to keep fit? Maybe your potential cleaner is saving on gym fees and excercise classes as well as augmenting her pension.

littleflo Wed 21-Feb-18 07:55:07

I had 2 men apply as well. That is the first time I have had male applicants.

mollie Tue 20-Feb-18 22:51:00

I couldn’t imagine employing a cleaner of any age - I’d have to clean before she came so it would be pointless.

MawBroon Tue 20-Feb-18 22:49:45

My cleaner is a man in his early 50’s. He and his wife used to come as a pair but now she runs their B&B as well so he cleans on alternate weeks and does decorating the other.
Brilliant for me because he can also do heavy lifting (garden furniture into the garage or winter/summer clothes up and down to/from the loft).
Age doesn’t come into it, but I suppose I would feel guilty if a frail old dear were to totter round the house on my behalf (frailer and older and dearer than me, that is)

MissAdventure Tue 20-Feb-18 22:16:59

Well, the lady obviously wants to work, so it seems churlish not to employ her. She'll only go elsewhere to clean, so I wouldn't worry.

littleflo Tue 20-Feb-18 21:04:21

I know it is stupid to feel uncomfortable about it. I think it is because I now feel a bit lazy, which I never have before. I have always been very lucky with my cleaners. The first two I employed were local women but I was in full time in work so I never saw them. Then I went over to an Agency who supplied Eastern Europeans who were all excellent.

Of the three ladies I interviewed she did seem the best, because she is already cleaning for two other ladies.

Annodomi I, what area are you in.

MissAdventure Tue 20-Feb-18 19:01:19

I'd feel a bit uncomfortable about it, as if it was 'taking advantage' in some way. Even though that's ridiculous.

ffinnochio Tue 20-Feb-18 18:57:52

Let her work speak for itself, not her age.

Nanabilly Tue 20-Feb-18 18:27:34

I would never employ a young cleaner .
Youngsters today seem to think they are doing you a favour by turning up for work.
When I was working I managed a fairly young team and they were a nightmare. I much preferred older ladies . Older men were grumpy lol

annodomini Tue 20-Feb-18 18:13:26

i'm in no position to quibble about age. I have difficulty finding a cleaner around here - they are all booked up!

BlueBelle Tue 20-Feb-18 17:55:54

Tomato or mushroom ?

Gaggi3 Tue 20-Feb-18 17:49:55

We stayed in a B and B years ago ( so we were a lot younger) and the very nice lady serving our breakfast was very 2 soups. I felt so guilty being waited on by her.

Suki70 Tue 20-Feb-18 17:45:51

I've had the same cleaner for seven years, she's now 62, 12 years younger than me. She used to be good, lots of strength and energy but over the last two years she's had a couple of health issues, often complains of being tired, is now much slower and does far less. I've kept her on because she needs the money but she's really not doing a good job. Before I took her on, I employed the 18 year old daughter of a previous cleaner and she was brilliant. After a year though she took a full time office job.
Never had a vest cleaner as don't own any! grin grin

kittylester Tue 20-Feb-18 16:55:25

You've never lived! grin

BlueBelle Tue 20-Feb-18 15:46:02

Never had a vest cleaner either Kitty

kittylester Tue 20-Feb-18 15:36:23

My cleaner is 62 and the vest cleaner I've ever had. She sees things that want doing and does them.

BlueBelle Tue 20-Feb-18 15:31:24

I ve never had a cleaner but have no idea why age would come into it or even why you would need to know her age When the man came to cut my tree down I didn’t ask him how old he was I expected him to do a good job whatever his age was and he did

BBbevan Tue 20-Feb-18 15:13:29

My aunty has a cleaner who is older than her, and she is 86. Said cleaner faffs about with a duster while they have a good chat.. Result, aunty gets company, cleaner gets money

gillybob Tue 20-Feb-18 15:13:25

I don’t have a cleaner ( I’m a diy ) . I would draw the line at a 25 year old stunner .... I know she wouldn’t give DH a second glance but she would make me feel so very old and inferior . grin