Gransnet forums

Chat

No more jeans ????

(39 Posts)
ruthiek Sun 25-Feb-18 14:29:09

Ok I will openly admit I haven’t got a lot going for me , 65, 14stone 5’2 and a half and short legs - but up till recently I hsve managed to get jeans from M&S thst are not wide at the bottom so don’t look like they are sails , but after getting rid of their wonderful relaxed skinny I can’t find a decent pair , this weekend I have tried a total of 10 different pairs but all look awful , does it mean I have to give up my faithful jeans??? confused

Niobe Mon 26-Feb-18 15:01:33

I really like the M and S Per Una Slim Bootcut jeans. I bought a black pair and will buy the denims too.

Rosieroe Mon 26-Feb-18 12:18:53

I’m 5’9” and am so fed up with M&S inconsistent sizing. Until recently I was always happy with M&S Per Una Roma fit. I always used to buy longer length but then they suddenly got really long. (I think it must be because those huge platform shoes came back into fashion.). I then got a few pairs of regular and found they fit well. This month I brought home two pairs of regular, only to discover they were too short, so I ordered the same size in long. Well - the thighs were really baggy and the crotch was drooping. Absolutely dreadful! Like you, I too am at a loss as to where to get jeans that fit. (I have favourite Roma bling but have found with the navy and plum ones they are fading with washing.)

I also agree that the quality of fabric in most of the jeans in M&S this year is awful - and no doubt there will be degree courses soon on Jean ‘styles’. The whole ‘skinny’, slim, straight, slim-boot, super-skinny carry-on has me baffled. Just like all the varieties of coffees!

MawBroon Mon 26-Feb-18 11:21:42

I do think the style and colour of the jeans makes a difference.
I am 5’2” and a size 16 and I just know that for me, jeans have to be dark and straight.
Not “skinnies” as my legs aren’t, and while I do like bootcut, they seem to look a bit dated, but that may change.
I like M&S Roma Bling (it is very discreet) for summer wear and bought some “spare pairs” last year in case they stop making the style. That happens all too often.
Hope they still fit this summer ??

Witzend Mon 26-Feb-18 09:41:31

M&S also do 'Roma' fit jeans - what on earth?
I had to ask an assistant, and even she didn't know!
2nd one I asked said it was where the waist sits halfway between high and low - so why can't they say so?

I assume the 'Mom' jeans label - I really hate that - means baggy and unflattering - not that I've tried any on, but that's what they look like.
I suppose we should just be grateful that they don't call them Fat Old Granny jeans.

And BTW, M&S, I would really like a better selection of non baggy jeans with a high waist.

Teetime Mon 26-Feb-18 09:01:51

I'm short and round and still wear M & S Per Una Roma rise jeans but only in black- I only wear traditional blue jeans for gardening now.

kittylester Mon 26-Feb-18 06:30:05

I've found that Lands End last far longer than cheaper ones. And they were 30% off yesterday so more money but much better value.

Ailsa43 Mon 26-Feb-18 00:39:54

Bon Marche for sure, because they go from very petite length 25 inches to 31 inch leg...

Being petite myself I find it hard to get short leg jeans ( 29; L).. and as I couldn't afford Lands End et al Bon Marche have them at an affordable price..

sodapop Sun 25-Feb-18 21:37:38

I have had some nice jeans recently from Next, advertised as bottom shaping but lovely and stretchy.

Menopaws Sun 25-Feb-18 21:27:47

Never give up the jeans, I wear stretchy skinny jeans for work and play and I love them

OldMeg Sun 25-Feb-18 21:11:54

Fair enough ruthiek

Best of luck in your quest

POGS Sun 25-Feb-18 19:49:07

I buy my jeans from Bon Marche and Asda .

Asda have a good selection of trousers in shape and colour.

I particularly like the £12.50 jeggings with the wide elastic waist band , so comfortable.

Nelliemoser Sun 25-Feb-18 18:53:14

If you think you look wrong in jeans don't wear them,
Not everyone has the figure for them. Try some looser styled trousers that skate over your figure as it is.

I had a colleague who was a big woman and always would be but she always dressed elegantly with stylish draped clothes.

nanaK54 Sun 25-Feb-18 18:53:05

I'll second lemongroves suggestion of Debenhams

Bridgeit Sun 25-Feb-18 18:51:34

Not everyone one likes catalogues, but Damart is reliable & do have some modern looking comfy skinnies, & you can try them on at home before buying .

ruthiek Sun 25-Feb-18 18:46:40

Hi Old Meg I didn’t think you were being rude, but I wasn’t asking for advice on my weight as at the moment medication for an illness is making it even hard to keep my weight level , but I am winning at that, what I would say however perhaps think about the bigger picture before replying , I was asking for advice on alternative jeans not my weight

seacliff Sun 25-Feb-18 18:30:29

I am bigger than you Ruthie, although I am working on it. I used to love George at Asda Moda jeggings. Alas no more.

They were good quality denim, straight leg but not too tight in leg, elastic waist, just perfect. If I could find them again I'd buy 6 pairs.

They still do some quite nice jeggings, but leg is too tight for me. Also Bon Marche Sara straight leg are quite good.

glammanana Sun 25-Feb-18 18:25:12

I have just this week bought a pair of "Tu" jeans and am very pleased with the fit and the quality after searching through all available at M&S and coming away empty handed.
As long as the OP feels good in what she buys please don't fret about trying to squeeze into a smaller size as my mum would say it would be a miserable world if we where all the same.

Luckygirl Sun 25-Feb-18 18:03:56

Cotton Traders flared denim jeggings are my go to option for jeans. They are not ultra-tight like some leggings and have a gentle flare at the very bottom, so that they basically look like jeans - and are very comfortable - and come in all sorts of sizes with a comfortable elasticated waist.

OldMeg - I am sure the OP already knows how wonderful it would be to be a size 14, but she isn't, and even if she were aiming in that direction she cannot run around naked till then!

Maggymay Sun 25-Feb-18 17:57:48

I wear Dorothy Perkins Ashley straight leg jeans short length.I find them a better fit than M and S

SueDonim Sun 25-Feb-18 17:48:50

Oldmeg you must be reading a different OP to me. Nowhere does Ruthiek say she doesn't look good in jeans. You've inferred that from her statement of her body measurements.

She didn't ask for opinions on her body image. She asked for suggestions for jeans to wear, which other, kinder, people have given. Women of all shapes and sizes find it hard to get jeans that suit them so I think your comment was out of order.

Baggs Sun 25-Feb-18 16:42:40

I've also found Land's End jeans good (high waist (so they say! it isn't really except when compared to others iyswim) and straight leg is what I go for). They are dearer than some I got from M&S last year (recommended by DD1 so I tried hers on and got the same) but the fabric is stronger and I think the LE ones will last longer than M&S. Actually, I've relegated the M&S ones to summer wear because they are so much thinner than the LE ones.

Iam64 Sun 25-Feb-18 16:37:36

Next also do various leg lengths but many are skinnies or have ripped bits. I prefer to rip my old jeans when gardening, rather than pay a premium for pre ripped. John Lewis has a number of franchises and a large jeans section.

GrandmaMoira Sun 25-Feb-18 16:25:24

I wear M&S super skinny jeans which are stretchy and comfortable. I find the high waist ones fit better but it can be better to get a size larger than normal. I'm a 14/16 and started wearing them when 16/18. They have a new Curve range in larger sizes which may suit. I like Sainsburys clothes but don't think they offer a shorter leg.

OldMeg Sun 25-Feb-18 16:01:29

Come on kitty why is it none of my business? The OP was quite open about her weight and height. She is obviously struggling to look good in jeans and I’ve simply addressed another aspect of her problem.

Try not to be rude. At least I phrased my post politely. You may not have liked the suggestion but it was worded kindly.

kittylester Sun 25-Feb-18 15:46:06

I was going to suggest Lands End (expensive but last for ages and they appear to have stopped doing some of their bootleg version) There are always offers on. I've just bought DH a couple of jumpers at 30% off. But, don't worry there will be another offer along tomorrow.

Sainsbury's are good and you can buy 4 pairs for the price of Lands End but they no longer do bootleg either. They do not last as long.

OldMeg - mentioning it at all was not helpful and also none of your business!!