Gransnet forums

Chat

Why tell everyone?

(17 Posts)
Nonnie Thu 01-Mar-18 11:01:09

Yesterday I reported a thread because it was clearly spam but I didn't tell everyone I had done it. I have just PMd someone and not told everyone I had done it because why would everyone want to know? As long as the recipient gets the message what is the point of telling everyone else? Same with petitions and surveys, why does everyone want to know I have done them? What am I missing?

I was recently accused of 'rubbing my halo' about something I said so is it that? Are Gns 'rubbing their halos? I genuinely want to know as I am always perplexed when I see it.

MissAdventure Thu 01-Mar-18 11:03:27

If I report spam then I say, so it saves lots of people reporting it.

Nonnie Thu 01-Mar-18 11:15:39

Yes, that makes sense. Any ideas about the others?

Nonnie Thu 01-Mar-18 11:18:57

Another thought, if you report a thread because you think it does not conform to GN guidelines, why don't you post that you have done it? I'm thinking of when several people assumed a thread I started was about a thread and reported it but if they had read carefully they would have seen that it was not about Gn but about social media in general. Not recent so really this is not a 'thread about a thread' it is about threads in generalt.

NanaandGrampy Thu 01-Mar-18 11:33:05

Maybe the difference is when you report a plainly spam thread there is no come back.

Having observed here for a few years now I'd put money on the fact that if you said you had reported a thread all the fires of hell would be rained down on you smile just a thought !

Teetime Thu 01-Mar-18 11:43:40

I like to see someone has reported something then no-one else feels they have to do it so Yes I have reported Spam and said I have - got it wrong once or twice too.

merlotgran Thu 01-Mar-18 11:51:51

When I first joined Gnet I was up late one night and spotted a post that was clearly spam. I reported it and said so on the thread because I seemed to be the only one posting at the time.

The next morning I received a pm from another gransnetter telling me it was bad form to 'blow one's own trumpet' by announcing I'd reported a post. hmm

Whenever I spot that poster doing the same I am so tempted........grin

Nonnie Thu 01-Mar-18 11:55:28

merlot there is always one.............................grin Wish everyone would remember Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 01-Mar-18 12:01:49

Hi, just to clarify from HQ, we're very grateful for those who report very obvious spam. As Teetime says, if you post underneath that it's been reported, it does save it from being reported multiple times. Definitely not blowing one's own trumpet!

ninathenana Thu 01-Mar-18 12:12:58

It has never occured to me that posting you've reported spam is "blowing your own trumpet" as has been said it saves me the bother of doing it and I'm sure HQ would rather one message than 10. In fact (I await the pm smile) I really don't understand that idea.
As for PM's I don't announce them but I can see some may think it's helpful to post "Fred have pm'd you" as Fred may not have e-mail notifications enabled or like me be lax at checking if there is a red dot on the symbol at the top of the page.

DanniRae Thu 01-Mar-18 12:48:12

Sorry if I am being daft but what is SPAM? confused

Eloethan Thu 01-Mar-18 13:19:07

Of course it's sensible to tell people when spam has been reported, it saves replication.

I think probably people say that they have reported a thread or a post to Gransnet because they want to be up front about it and avoid others jumping to conclusions as to who is responsible.

I'm not quite sure why some people announce that they have sent a pm to someone.

petra Thu 01-Mar-18 14:04:56

Merlotgran
You must be a very forgiving person. I wouldn't let it pass.
Eleothan
I very rarely communicate by email so I don't look that often, so it's best that people let me know that they have sent a PM.

merlotgran Thu 01-Mar-18 18:13:12

Least said, soonest mended, petra. Far easier to just block the bossy boots sender. grin

Jalima1108 Thu 01-Mar-18 18:33:37

How odd merlotgran

I have sometimes reported a spam thread and sometimes an old thread will be revived with spam too - if you say 'reported' then it saves others doing it and GNHQ being inundated with reports.

Jalima1108 Thu 01-Mar-18 18:34:13

which GNHQ has just said if I had read Lara's post first blush

grannyactivist Thu 01-Mar-18 18:35:12

Golly merlot - I've reported several SPAM threads and I think I would have been really disconcerted to have received such a pm in response. hmm