Gransnet forums

Chat

Purple Bricks Advert

(29 Posts)
Grandmarnia Thu 01-Mar-18 23:22:39

Please tell me I am not the only person who gets annoyed with the ludicrous Purple Bricks advert? The one set at a wedding reception where the older man (presumably the father of the bride) is shouting at he new son in law.

varian Fri 02-Mar-18 17:08:19

The only ads I've got much time for are Specsavers because they are quite funny and memorable.

Having said that I have to admit that my OH has just persuaded me to go to our local small town optician because, although he charges a bit more, he's had such good service from him and thinks we should support local traders.

DanniRae Fri 02-Mar-18 16:31:23

I love the Amazon ad where a tiny horse is ignored by all the other horses and the owner buys a cat flap big enough for him to get indoors. It is so sweet to see him come trotting in to be with his owner! smile

Caledonai14 Fri 02-Mar-18 16:26:12

I think the problem with the wedding reception advert is the implication a most precious moment would be ruined by a temper tantrum over something trivial. It could have been made lighter and funnier. For some reason the pottery one is much better.
And now I've read other comments here and discovered there is an up-front fee, I think they might regret making the ads about anything to do with finance.

Nonnie Fri 02-Mar-18 15:52:49

Grandmaria I don't think their target audience is mature people, I think it is dim people!

Grandmarnia Fri 02-Mar-18 14:03:50

@vampirequeen I totally agree about the equity ones too.

Grandmarnia Fri 02-Mar-18 13:59:56

@grummpa thanks for the information. I haven't looked to see what they do charge for as they can't run a business for free as the advert implies.

Thanks to everyone else for their comments. Yes we are talking about it but I doubt we would ever use them (if the 'young' marketeers think they are targeting their market audience "us mature folks"). The potter one was funnier, but again they do charge...

Blinko Fri 02-Mar-18 12:23:33

A friend who's a conveyancing solicitor tells me PB are their worst people to deal with...

Nonnie Fri 02-Mar-18 11:50:06

It suits their target audience. It is quite clear who they are trying to impress.

If all you want is to get your house on Rightmove and/or Zoopla these people are fine but what if you are selling a house in a chain? What if there is some sort of problem along the line? Although not a fan of estate agents I do think that when there is a problem you need someone to do all the chasing and persuading and the online agents don't do this. I mailed PB to ask a question about one of their properties and they didn't reply. I emailed again and they just sent me what was on Rightmove.

OldMeg Fri 02-Mar-18 11:49:08

The worst adverts IMO are those stupid ones in between The Chase. Some Bingo site or other and I can’t even remember which.

henetha Fri 02-Mar-18 11:46:43

Yes Grumpa, that's the bit that has been getting up my nose.
They emphisise "no commission" but don't tell you about the hefty upfront payment which is non-returnable.
It's probably in the tiny print at the bottom of the screen which is hard to read, but I still think it's unfair.

Blinko Fri 02-Mar-18 11:42:42

Grumppa grin

vampirequeen Fri 02-Mar-18 11:42:20

I prefer the pottery class too.

I hate all the adverts that try to emotionally blackmail older people into buying life insurance or pre paid funeral. By all means sell you product but not with the idea that you will be a burden to your children even in death. Being a burden in life is a worry of many elderly people so let's not add death to the equation.

And I absolutely hate the 'take the equity out of your house' adverts. This is a financial mine field not a way of getting a new car or holiday or giving the grandchild a step up on the housing ladder. It's a loan on your property. It accrues interest for the rest of your life and by the end of it you may well find that the house and all your estate belong to the bank due to the interest charges.

DanniRae Fri 02-Mar-18 11:36:46

I like the pottery one eazybee too and the one where someone pours milk over his head. Ok, I get it, I should get out more!! blush

Notagranyet12 Fri 02-Mar-18 11:28:44

Yes, I turn the sound down when that advert comes on, I can't bear it and yes, it's also misleading because it implies they sell your house for free but as Grumppa just said, they charge a flat fee whether they sell it or not so you could still end up being out of pocket.

grumppa Fri 02-Mar-18 11:24:27

I am surprised the groom doesn't get up and say "But they do charge a fee up front which they pocket whether they sell your property or not, you daft old git!"

yggdrasil Fri 02-Mar-18 10:44:22

Answer, record all the programmes you want to see, or watch on Catch-up. This way, you don't see the ads

eazybee Fri 02-Mar-18 10:36:07

I think that Purple Bricks advert is daft, but I love the cameo performance from his wife, 'not now dear'.
And the object is , I do remember it.
I preferred the one in the pottery class, where he smashes the pot of the woman next to him. Very childish, but soooo satisfying.

loopyloo Fri 02-Mar-18 10:29:49

Hate it too. So implausible. Almost as much as that opera singer and the stupid skeleton man. Makes me want to avoid the product.

Charleygirl Fri 02-Mar-18 10:27:48

I change stations each time I see that ridiculous advert on. I suppose the advertisers have achieved what they set out to do- make a memorable advert- it is that alright but for the wrong reasons because it is so ludicrous.

Katek Fri 02-Mar-18 10:04:03

My pet hate ad at the moment is the Sun Life one where the neighbour calls round with his mail. What’s that bloke up to - lurking around his conservatory with a pair of binoculars?

BBbevan Fri 02-Mar-18 10:03:30

Exactly Oopsadaisy12

Oopsadaisy12 Fri 02-Mar-18 06:59:29

And we are discussing it, so free advertising for them.

BBbevan Fri 02-Mar-18 06:52:33

Hate it. , but you do remember it. Which is the object of the exercise I presume.

ninathenana Fri 02-Mar-18 06:41:43

There is another version set in an office I think. Hate them both.

Oopsadaisy12 Fri 02-Mar-18 06:24:26

Saw it for the first time last night, ridiculous advert, doesn’t make any sense at all.