Gransnet forums

Chat

Family portraits

(92 Posts)
Blondiescot Sun 11-Mar-18 20:50:47

This is going to sound really silly, but is there anyone else who doesn't have any family photos? To cut a long story short, I absolutely dread having my photo taken and will go to any lengths to avoid it. We have lots of photos of the family - but none with me in them. I'm always the one taking the pics. My daughter has actually said on several occasions that if anything happened to me, they wouldn't have any photos of me. I know it's ridiculous, but I can't stand looking at myself. I see friends with beautiful portraits of their whole family and would love to have something like that, but the idea fills me with horror.

HarrietRiley Tue 12-Nov-19 03:53:08

I do have a few photos of myself together with my family, relatives or friends. We also experienced hiring this professional photographer for an official family photoshoot Crawley, and it turned out pretty well. But as long as I can, I often avoid having my pictures taken. I’m not just comfortable with it. On the other hand, having photos with your loved ones is still a very special thing. It’s a great way to look at those photos and reminisce the times that you are having fun with the people important to you.

jogginggirl Wed 14-Mar-18 19:29:09

I am not a fan of the camera. However, over the last few years whilst caring for my mum - I took loads of pics of her - on her own; with me; with family members; and with friends - I also took videos. I just used my phone.

She passed away in December and these photos and videos are now giving me (and others) enormous pleasure smile
The videos are amazing because I can see her move and hear her speak and sing..... They bring back so many great memories of her ?❤️

auntbett Wed 14-Mar-18 14:17:08

I perfectly understand why you don't want to have photos taken. I hate it too. However, I haven't got more than a couple of photos of my late mother because she cut herself out of every photo she could and I do wish she hadn't. I've love to be able to show her image to my son and grandchildren.

Grandma2213 Wed 14-Mar-18 02:07:33

My passport and driving licence photos look like those ones the police take of unidentified dead bodies!

A lot of us seem to be the ones who take the photos. Since digital cameras my DGC have had their whole lives recorded and they love looking at their own history already. It also helps to remind us of fun times we have had.

I have given in to being photographed more in recent years so they have visual memories of me too. In the few that were take of me in the past I think I look quite good now, though I hated them at the time. Maybe in another 10/20 years if I live that long I will be happy with the present day

Oopsadaisy12 Tue 13-Mar-18 21:30:33

My passport photo looks as though it should have Reward Offered printed underneath it. I feel slightly offended that the passport officers recognise me!
I look awful in ordinary photos too, so I’m always the one behind the camera.

petra Tue 13-Mar-18 17:34:20

Ginny42
Have you ever seen a picture of Victoria Beckham smiling?
It's not a good look, somewhere between trapped wind a a sneer. That's why she always smilefree in her pics, not that she doesn't like them being taken.

Nelliemoser Tue 13-Mar-18 08:15:10

I don't like having my photo taken either. I am not photogenic. My wedding photos are about the best.

Ginny42 Tue 13-Mar-18 07:55:50

Oh I must write a codicil to my will - no photos of the deceased!

I don't think we're alone. Look at Victoria Beckham, I think she feels the same as she looks very uncomfortable being photographed.

My passport photo always draws looks of pity from the poor official trying not to laugh. I've known a few people who were good looking but hardly stunning, but who always look amazing in photos. Some people are just very photogenic.

Purpledaffodil Mon 12-Mar-18 23:15:44

granma47 the funeral PowerPoint showing photos of the deceased looking happy and doing interesting things became so popular in Canada where my brother lives that he now takes selfies and group photos ready for the purpose grin

granma47 Mon 12-Mar-18 22:13:32

We attended a funeral recently where photos of the deceased were shown during the crematorium service. Afterwards, my husband said to me 'I don't have many photos of you if this should happen to us' . That is because I am the one who takes the photos.

lizzypopbottle Mon 12-Mar-18 22:04:39

I think I've finally convinced my daughter to stop taking photos of me with no warning. I hate photos that catch me needing to brush my hair or lift my chin! She thinks she's making memories but most of the shots are incredibly unflattering! ?

Daddima Mon 12-Mar-18 21:47:25

I remember reading an article which said that you shouldn’t worry aout looking your best, as your family will be glad of these memories.

Shizam Mon 12-Mar-18 21:41:37

I am 36ish in my head. Pix say something else. All my lovely childhood pix stolen by mad brother, also of my mum who died when I was young. He’s a twisted weirdo. Stopped myself from swearing!

gillybob Mon 12-Mar-18 21:23:22

I have never been pretty or remotely attractive . I was a plain child and have grown into a plain /ugly woman. I avoid cameras like the plague as I only spoil perfectly good photographs. My family will be hard pushed to find a photo of me after I’m gone.

kwest Mon 12-Mar-18 21:17:44

I know how you feel. Whenever I see a photograph of myself it sets me back for ages. In my head I never look as old or as fat or as unattractive. It is said the camera never lies. It is not my friend so I prefer to keep it out of my life.

kwest Mon 12-Mar-18 21:17:44

I know how you feel. Whenever I see a photograph of myself it sets me back for ages. In my head I never look as old or as fat or as unattractive. It is said the camera never lies. It is not my friend so I prefer to keep it out of my life.

tidyskatemum Mon 12-Mar-18 19:56:49

Wild horses wouldn't drag me to a professional photo shoot. To me these posed family portraits just look so fake and I never wanted one even when I was a lot prettier and less wrinkled. I also wanted pictures of my kids looking like my kids not the Waltons. DH takes loads of photos, especially on holiday but he doesn't see me wielding the delete button when he's out of the way!

Camelotclub Mon 12-Mar-18 19:40:32

I HATE having my photo taken. Why don't you go to one of those makeover studios and have a professional shot taken, and have prints made up for anyone who wants them.

thecatgrandma Mon 12-Mar-18 19:08:54

It’s so easy now to pick and chose which photos you keep - ie the flattering ones. I always make sure I have just one with me on it on most big occasions, and delete the ones I hate, which is most of them. Usually I’m the one taking them anyway. And I still print out a select few and put in the family albums, just so they remember I existed. My mum did the same and I’m so glad she did now.

Gransha22 Mon 12-Mar-18 18:39:45

I agree I don’t like my picture taken but I love the way the young people can pose instantly do it makes us laugh and then pics aren’t so bad

nannyof4 Mon 12-Mar-18 18:29:33

Hate seeing myself in pictures too,it makes me cringe.

NannyTee Mon 12-Mar-18 18:18:08

And whoever invented the mirror needs a good seeing to !!!

NannyTee Mon 12-Mar-18 18:16:34

Our DC see us differently to how we see ourselves. I for one hate myself in pics. My kids think Im still lovely no matter what. My DM is 84 and still the most glamorous pretty lady on this earth. I dread the day when she is gone. So YES. Give them all the pictures they need .

Legs55 Mon 12-Mar-18 18:15:25

I too hate having my photo taken, the best ones I have are when I've been caught unawares.

My Driving Licence photo makes me look like a criminalgrin

Ellie Anne Mon 12-Mar-18 18:14:02

No photos of me either. I just look ugly. But about 20 year ago I won a photo shoot and those pics are great . Out of date now though.