Gransnet forums

Chat

OCD or plain bonkers!

(122 Posts)
Silverlining47 Mon 12-Mar-18 13:02:21

I don't consider myself excessively houseproud or even very tidy but the other day when a visiting friend offered to hang out my washing I was surprised at my own reaction to the line of washing! It was pinned up hickedly pickledy and all the clothes mixed up. My fingers positively itched to change it!
I then realised that I always hang the socks in pairs, DH's all together and then mine. Then his pants and then mine in order and so on. T-shirts, shirts, blouses etc the same way. They get taken down and folded in that order too. Whites only get washed together. I have a slight sense of revulsion when I see people put all their things in the wash together confused
Do other GNs have extreme habits that don't match the rest of their life?

kezia Mon 12-Mar-18 16:38:05

Is it very sad that I've just got excited at the thought of stainless steel pegs and have even been on eBay to price them?
Thanks Juggernaut !

M0nica Mon 12-Mar-18 16:44:45

Speed and efficiency are my criteria. As long as a clothes peg does its job, I couldn't give a toss about colour or the material it is made of, nor the order things are hung up.

tessagee Mon 12-Mar-18 16:49:18

Agree with you Silver.

mcem Mon 12-Mar-18 16:51:36

Pretty relaxed about most of theses tasks but how do I deal with my sister?
We do a weekly shop together but when she helps pack my bag she chucks everything in willy-nilly!
Last week as I unpacked I found an egg had been cracked when a can of kidney beans landed on the carton!!!

When I was a SAHM many years ago, a friend pointed out that I was colour-coding the children's clothes as I pegged them up. I stopped doing that and returned to teaching very soon afterwards!

OldMeg Mon 12-Mar-18 16:55:03

I’d be happy to find pairs of socks in my wash. I put what I find into the machine but either DH didn’t put pairs of socks in in the first place (most likely) or I’ve dropped one on the way (quite possible) or another me in a parallel galaxy somewhere is extracting three socks from her machine as mine is obviously an inter-galactic time portal.

nanaK54 Mon 12-Mar-18 16:59:59

Oh I do the mug handles to the right too, had never noticed that before

BBbevan Mon 12-Mar-18 17:36:56

Sadly I even hang towels big to small, and also same colours together. My wardrobe is organised the same. T shirts short sleeve white, T shirts long sleeve white etc. I say it is for ease of finding things but I know it is really because I don't like things mixed up.

BlueBelle Mon 12-Mar-18 17:39:06

I m reasonably tidy but blimey never even notice what way round things are as long as they are there loo roll I couldn’t care less which way round clothes are washed hung out which ever way they come out the basket, pegs can be any old colour shape or size I ll drink out of whatever is at hand There is so much in the world to worry about can’t waste my time on household things Shopping oh that’s goes in as it arrives on the counter but I wouldn’t throw it in
You are a fussy lot

lemongrove Mon 12-Mar-18 18:54:02

Us ‘fussy lot’ like to think we are keeping the planet on an even keel, possibly Ford Prefect recommended a clean and folded towel to take on intergalactic travels when space hitch-hiking, and we are just awaiting a call.smile

Marmight Mon 12-Mar-18 20:36:21

I was always quite fussy - everything in its place and a place for everything - until I had 2 moves last year. Being out of my comfort zone and with most of my long term possessions either in store or gone, I suddenly became carefree..washing all in together on a low heat, sheets & towels mixed not matched. No washing line so former peg matching & colour coding out of the window, no ironing - fold and put heavier items on the top. No dishwasher so handwashed & left on rack to dry; far fewer items in the larder as cupboard space was less than an eighth. I could go on. Now settling into a permanent home and reunited with my 'stuff' realisation is dawning: I have too much of everything now there's just me and not a family of 5, and each day I fill boxes to take to charity shops. I only keep a minimal amount of foodstuffs and instead of 2 big freezers now have one very mini one. I feel a weight being lifted, it's a strange but welcome feeling. I still have a long way to go... but I'm on the way

Barmeyoldbat Mon 12-Mar-18 21:01:12

I am the same as Luckygirl, and I have not even thought about the colour of the pegs and how I hang the washing. Everything is done in a haphazard way in this house so feel free to come to my house and sort it out. I have just been and looked to see which way the mug handles are and it is on the left, probably because everyone in this house is left handed

sodapop Mon 12-Mar-18 21:21:19

Fussy yes but not OCD. This a distressing and limiting illness not to be taken lightly.

Bathsheba Mon 12-Mar-18 21:32:01

Whites are washed on a 60deg wash, as are towels and bedding. Everything else goes on a 30deg wash.
Socks are hung in pairs, by the toe. If the first sock is pegged with the heel pointing to the right, then every sock thereafter must point the same way.
Sweaters and t-shirts are hung over the line, so that the pegs can be placed in the armpits, to avoid peg marks in a more visible place on the garment.
Towels are folded in a particular way, as are tea towels (although they have a different folding pattern hmm)
The dishwasher must be loaded in a particular way, and is frequently re-arranged after DH has put something in it in the 'wrong' place.
The loo roll should feed from above, not below - there is actually a kind of logic here: if the holder is on a painted wall, having the paper feed from above avoids grubby little hands touching the wall. It was a habit I got into when the children were little, and it's stuck!
Shopping is placed on the checkout belt in the order which best suits packing. That is to say, tins, bottles, cartons, cereal packets etc go on first, and soft fruit and veg, and eggs, go on last, with everything else somewhere in between.

Thing is, in general I'm one of the untidiest people going, with no organisational skills whatever. I can't understand how I've developed such pernickety ways confusedgrin

Chewbacca Mon 12-Mar-18 22:44:51

Mugs and cups put back in the cupboard must be placed with their handles all facing me, at a 45 degree angle. It makes perfect sense. -- to me anyway--

DanniRae Tue 13-Mar-18 08:54:54

For me it depends how much time I have. Plenty of time and the washing is hung out beautifully with socks all matched and pegs matching too. Short of time and it all goes on the line as it comes out of the basket - but still hung up correctly, of course, so no peg marks!
However, the dirty clothes are always sorted by white, light and dark colours before they go in the machine no matter how busy I am.
Does anyone else use the dye catcher sheets if unsure about colours running? I find them very useful.

Cabbie21 Tue 13-Mar-18 09:11:22

When I was very young, it was noticed that I folded the top of my ankle socks over very correctly and precisely when I put them on, whereas my sister couldn’t care less.
Now I do like things done properly, but nowadays am less fussy, unless there is a logic and reason to be precise.
So there is a best way to fill the dishwasher to make best use of the space, but am not too bothered how I hang out the washing, as long as it all fits.
And I do have parts of the house which are awaiting re- organisation = untidy, but there is so little space that it becomes a major job to sort those areas.

Mnhmhall Tue 13-Mar-18 10:07:22

I always try to match the colour of the pegs to the clothes I'm hanging and if I can't do that the two pegs have to match. My cousin was visiting from Australia and she does exactly the same! Her husband sometimes changes the pegs around when her back is turned!

Kim19 Tue 13-Mar-18 10:20:18

Gosh, GranEd, thank Heavens for you. Thought I was standing alone on this. I certainly have the time but absolutely no inclination whatsoever.

oldgaijin Tue 13-Mar-18 10:22:06

Oh Silverlining, I thought I was the only one that did that! All the pegs have to match, too. As for my knicker drawer, they have to be stacked in colour order.. Another mild oddity is the butter...woe betide anyone who dives in with a knife. I have to square it off again! Am I nuts?

AlicEaton Tue 13-Mar-18 10:23:14

Just love this discussion! So reassuring to hear about all these funny little ways.... and know I'm not alone in being inconsistent - eg tidy knicker and tights drawer, chaotic medicine cabinet! and so on...

Urmstongran Tue 13-Mar-18 10:30:54

Bet left handed GN’s put the cups into cupboards with handles on the left! I think it’s just the way we pick them up really.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 13-Mar-18 10:31:20

Yippee!!!! I am not a freak. I have/do all of the above. Drive family members mad - pegs, colour match clothes, mug handles to the right, shopping at check out, dishwasher, even the clothes I washing machine. As for bedding, I cannot abide using DH pillows or pillow cases.

jacqui67 Tue 13-Mar-18 10:31:26

Oh would love to be able to be spick and span just need to get rid of husband DD/SIL/3GC and a dog

Marianne1953 Tue 13-Mar-18 10:35:55

No it’s not OCD. You are pegging them out in the order that they are going to be put away, makes it so much quicker when bringing them in, a task I hate. I do the same with my shopping , so that all the veg etc are together to be put away into the same places.

KatyK Tue 13-Mar-18 10:36:52

I love this thread! I don't do many of these things mentioned above but I do have my own little foibles! DH always gets up first in the morning and opens the kitchen blinds. He never positions them as I like them so each morning I alter them. I have a certain way of pegging washing out but don't do the colour co-ordinating pegs thing, although after reading this, I have a feeling I might start!