Gransnet forums

Chat

OCD or plain bonkers!

(122 Posts)
Silverlining47 Mon 12-Mar-18 13:02:21

I don't consider myself excessively houseproud or even very tidy but the other day when a visiting friend offered to hang out my washing I was surprised at my own reaction to the line of washing! It was pinned up hickedly pickledy and all the clothes mixed up. My fingers positively itched to change it!
I then realised that I always hang the socks in pairs, DH's all together and then mine. Then his pants and then mine in order and so on. T-shirts, shirts, blouses etc the same way. They get taken down and folded in that order too. Whites only get washed together. I have a slight sense of revulsion when I see people put all their things in the wash together confused
Do other GNs have extreme habits that don't match the rest of their life?

lemongrove Tue 13-Mar-18 22:30:09

silverlining ......we are perfectly normal ?

grannybuy Tue 13-Mar-18 23:29:13

I'm with Luckgirl, it gets done, but without much method. Sometimes wish I was more organised, but I can't help thinking that it's got a lot to do with how our brains are wired, causing us to do, or not, what comes naturally.

Grandma2213 Wed 14-Mar-18 01:48:02

I think my laundry habits are practical. Small items go where people tend to walk under the line. Different sizes are hung where they won't blow into bushes or tall plants. I peg trousers, dresses, skirts etc facing into the wind so that it blows right through them and dries them quicker. I do prefer wooden pegs but would not advise buying them from Poundland as they come apart almost immediately. My garden is now littered with bits of peg! I do hang socks in pairs to see if there are any missing but tend to gather them all in a bundle when they are dry.

Hmm supermarket checkouts I sensibly put bottles and heavy items first.

I can only think that putting pillows with the openings away from the doors is slightly OCD. On the other hand it looks neater.

barbaranrod Wed 14-Mar-18 08:06:21

oh thank goodness, i thought it was only me ,if a coloured item gets into my white wash ,i nearly have fits and hanging out has to be done properly ,,if DH does it wrong, i go out and redo it ,this seems to be the only thing a am fussy about ,strange person that i am .

sodapop Wed 14-Mar-18 08:42:28

When I did my nurse training in the year dot, we were taught to turn the open end of the pillowcases away from the door to prevent dust etc getting in. How I remember those days, 40 beds to make before breakfast, back breaking.

maddyone Wed 14-Mar-18 09:30:52

Magshard20, at last I’ve found someone who calls it a ‘maiden’, that’s exactly what I call it! I used to live in Cheshire and my mother always called it a maiden, but my grandmother from Derbyshire called it a clothes horse. Now we live in the south I find everyone calls it an airer! To me it’s still a maiden.
Anyway, back to the point, I always hang clothes out in a particular way, socks in pairs, other items all in their groups, if DH does hang out washing I also go and do it ‘properly’. I put all tins away in the cupboard labels facing out so we can read them, stack the dishwasher ‘properly’ and clean the kitchen ‘properly’. DH does lots of stuff in the house, but rarely ‘properly’ in my opinion grin, but he is a marvellous cook. I don’t stop him doing anything otherwise he may stop doing all the things he does and then I’d have to do them all myself!

LuckyFour Wed 14-Mar-18 09:37:41

Life's too short to be hanging clothes on a line. Everything goes in the tumble dryer and this means much less ironing if they are folded or hung up straight away. Cheaper to use the tumble dryer than the iron , both in time and money.

Magrithea Wed 14-Mar-18 09:57:23

I'm with you silverlining47!! I like to hang my washing out in 'my' way and it irritates me when it's not done that way. And I agree that putting everything in together gives me a shiver too!

Mercedes55 Wed 14-Mar-18 10:58:38

I've lost count of the amount of times I've put all the white bedding on a 60c wash cycle and found one of OH's black socks when I've taken the washing out, still looks white though!

lemongrove Wed 14-Mar-18 14:20:05

It’s the naughty red sock wot does the damage.wink

Mercedes55 Wed 14-Mar-18 16:27:49

I did wonder about that lemongrove as you often see ads on the TV where someone ends up with pink laundry after putting a red sock in with whites. Luckily we don't have any red socks in our household.

There is a radio presenter I listen to every day on LBC and he wears a brand new pair of socks every day then throws them away, he's never going to mix his socks up with his other laundry wink

lemongrove Wed 14-Mar-18 17:00:04

Why? Does he have particularly smelly feet??

MamaCaz Wed 14-Mar-18 17:25:18

I am not fussy about how my washing is hung out, though I do usually hang socks in pairs except, of course, for the those whose partner has mysteriously disappeared by that stage of the laundry process confused

I am another who logically likes to put heavy items on the checkout first. These days, DH often goes shopping with me but try as i might, I just can't train him to do this job properly. Why oh why does he still think it's ok to put a packet of crisps or a box of eggs on the conveyer while I am putting on cans and bottles? Grrrrrrrrrrr!
I can honestly say that I hate it when he accompanies me to the supermarket. I am a seething, quivering wreck by the time we leave the shop.

Mercedes55 Wed 14-Mar-18 17:47:51

I don't think so lemongrove, from what I understand he is diabetic and worries a lot about his feet, so he wears a new pair every day, washes the ones he has worn and donates them to charity.

AmMaz Wed 14-Mar-18 18:05:29

Oh dear Juggernaut ! ?

Happysexagenarian Wed 14-Mar-18 21:11:27

This is interesting! Initially I thought 'Oh I'm not that organised', but as I read everyone's replies I found myself saying 'Oh yes I do that too!' I could identify with almost all of Juggernauts list. I don't think it's OCD or fussy, we have just developed a pattern of doing some things in a particular way.

I always wash all our socks and underwear together in one wash, just in case the colour of a sock should run, then it won't ruin my t-shirts.
I like shirts hung on the line by their bottom edges, whereas my DIL will hang them by the shoulders. Though most of our washing gets tumble dried except bed linen in the summer.
When I lay the table the table mats have to be central to the seats and parallel to the edge of the table. And the cutlery parallel to the mats. My DH keeps moving them deliberately.
When we do our supermarket shop my hubby packs things haphazardly in our big trolly bags and I keep rearranging them to better distribute the weight and avoid squashing things. Just seems to make sense to me.

chelseababy Wed 14-Mar-18 21:23:06

I do my spices alphabetically too but there are so many starting with "c"......chilli cardamon cumin coriander cloves cinnamon (not to mention whole and ground of some)

Grandma2213 Thu 15-Mar-18 01:33:31

* LuckyFour* I gave up ironing years ago! I hang clothes on the line or even on a radiator when wet and then fold them or hang them up in the wardrobe. The creases that don't disappear then soon do when the warmth of your body gets to them!

How do you get the clothes out of the tumble drier at the right time? I find that I got distracted by other jobs and forgot they were there and the creases were infinitely worse! Now I only use it for emergencies eg school uniform, urgent sports clothes and am basically standing over it! Definitely not eco friendly and expensive to use. Have you watched that little wheel on the electric meter?! shock

Saggi Thu 15-Mar-18 07:15:01

Surely it's notOCD to separate whites and coloureds when doing washing?! It's how I was taught. Otherwise your whites go a dingy grey! But all this other stuff?? Weird!! Who cares!! There's masses of books out there to read folks!!

Saggi Thu 15-Mar-18 07:16:59

And for heavens sake ....... everybody knows that shirts (especially T-Shirts) should be hung from under arms... that way no ironing required!

NfkDumpling Thu 15-Mar-18 07:23:20

Oh dear, I hang exactly the same way as Silverlining. But I don’t believe I’m OCD, just practical. It’s so much easier to hang socks in pairs and match them up on the line and I have a whirligig line so smaller things have to go in the middle. And all shirts are hung upside down. But I’m not OCD.. No way.