Gransnet forums

Chat

Memorial benches

(151 Posts)
M0nica Wed 14-Mar-18 13:23:18

Someone from the NT in Jersey has expressed concern about the number of memorial benches found at many beauty spots and suggests the number could be limited by only allowing them to be there for a given number of years.

I can only whole-heartedly support this measure. About 5 years ago we went to Whitby, staying in a hotel on the headland opposite the ruined abbey. The view from the headland to the abbey is superb. There was a broad sweep of grass around the headland in front of the hotel and as DH and I wandered along it I counted 67 memorial benches before I freaked out and insisted we went back to the road, crossed it and walked on the pavement as far from the benches as possible. I counted 67, but there were a lot more.

All the benches were so close together, to walk on the headland meant threading between the benches each with their little brass plaque saying that John, or Iris or Fred or Violet who died.... loved this view.

It is left me with a horror of these benches. I can just cope with them, if the bench is where a bench would be anyway, in an alcove in a garden for example, one or two at a popular beauty spot, but anything much more and I start shuddering.

I can see the point of benches, but not the need to mark them with brass plaques. The chances that anyone seeing the plaque to Mildred, or Reg or Joy, will know who they are, are remote and anyone else seeing them, especially in profusion won't care.

When DFdied we made a donation to a new quiet garden at the hospital. We chose a table and when asked whether we wanted a plaque on it DS and I were emphatic that we didn.t - and that was before my stay at Whitby.

MissAdventure Wed 14-Mar-18 13:27:31

I love them. I'm interested in who they're in memory of, too, regardless of whether I knew them.
If the place meant something to them, I think its a lovely way to have somewhere to sit and think of them.

Cold Wed 14-Mar-18 13:27:35

Being disabled I love memorial benches as it means I can sit when I need to

Nanabilly Wed 14-Mar-18 13:33:18

I saw them for myself last year and thought how silly to have so many.
A real eyesore but I think it's the numbers of seats that should be limited but the plaques interest me and should be allowed as I for one will read the plaques and then say "well fred or violet , let's see what your favourite view is all about then " before sitting on the bench and enjoying their view.

Do councils make money from them?

Luckygirl Wed 14-Mar-18 13:36:59

I think they are fine. There was a photographer a few years ago who did a project on them and it was fascinating - some, which had started life overlooking wonderful views, finished up overlooking such things as supermarket car parks.

Clearly there need to be some planning laws that prevent too many being placed together, but I do not see that as difficult.

OldMeg Wed 14-Mar-18 13:44:24

Why? They fulfil a useful purpose and they help families who have lost a loved one.

Bellasnana Wed 14-Mar-18 13:44:55

I think they are lovely. There is one dedicated to my sister in the Botanical Gardens in Edinburgh where her ashes are also interred.

I’ve always found it interesting to read the plaques and think it is a good way to memorialise those who have enjoyed spending time there.

OldMeg Wed 14-Mar-18 13:45:30

Yes Luckygirl there are restrictions as you need permission to erect one.

stella1949 Wed 14-Mar-18 13:46:43

We looked at having one for our Dad at Jennycliffe, near Plymouth where he grew up. It was going to cost over a thousand pounds, and the council said there were too many there already . We went to have a look and I counted 13 , all in a row overlooking the Sound. We could understand the problem and didn't go ahead with it . I like them but no en masse like that !

MissAdventure Wed 14-Mar-18 13:48:44

We have lots and lots here, all along the seafront.
I think they're lovely, and they all get used.
There has been much less vandalism since they were put there, so that's another bonus.

janeainsworth Wed 14-Mar-18 13:49:25

After MrA had his hip replaced we walked very slowly along the sea front at Whitley Bay looking in vain for a bench to sit on. They were all occupied by other old people. hmm

lemongrove Wed 14-Mar-18 13:50:25

A pity those benches are up on the headland Monica because whenever we visit Whitby town ( down below) we end up sitting on walls when tired as it is always so busy.
It could use more down in the centre, and I wouldn't worry about any brass plaques.

lemongrove Wed 14-Mar-18 13:54:30

Oh, those old people Jane grin pests aren’t they?
I never realised how important benches are until fairly recently as we are both slowing up ( the spirit is willing etc.)

M0nica Wed 14-Mar-18 14:25:43

Personally, I would rather read a gravestone than a bench plaque, they are so small and repetitive and the information is so limited

I do not dislike memorial benches in principle. It is the excess of them in the wrong places that so appal me. At Whitby In area approximately 100-150 foot square there were upwards of 80 benches, arranged randomly, like deckchairs around a band stand. There was no room to spread a picnic on the ground, to play a game like Badminton or just to lie out on a rug rather than sit on a bench, or stroll along with a pushchair or even a wheel chair.

Seaside benches along the front like benches in urban parks, lined up along the edge of the walks are an entirely different thing. The benches are in orderly rows and do not impinge on other peoples rights to enjoy the facilities

I think there should be a limit on how many benches can be put on a particular site with a standard, Say , every bench must have at least 10 metres of unobstructed space all round it. The exception being if it is up against a barrier or hedge, when this will be ignored when measuring.

I have been to too many beauty spots where the specialness of a rural setting has been destroyed by the excessive number of benches.

mollie Wed 14-Mar-18 14:51:34

No problem with benches but I’m fed up with road side shrines and memorials. They are distracting and disturbing and not the place for a commerative display.

Nonnie Wed 14-Mar-18 15:21:55

I like them but I live in an area where lots of people would like to donate one but they are limited by those in control and are only put at strategic points.

I'm all for people marking the loss of a loved one however they wish if it gives them comfort but I have told my family that if I die in a road accident and they put flowers on the spot I will come back and haunt them!

OldMeg Wed 14-Mar-18 15:29:16

Terrible isn’t it? I remember climbing up Snowdon and there was a bench every few yards, and the same up Ben Nevis and Scafell Pike.

Dartmoor and the New Forest are littered with them and as for the Forest of Dean....an absolute disgrace.

Teetime Wed 14-Mar-18 15:57:08

A dear friends husband died in January after a long and painful illness- he was just 63 a wonderful man sadly missed by very many people and the charities he was very active in. I was so happy to be able to arrange a tree in his memory for his widow to help 'plant' and soon there will be a bench nearby with his full name on. This small act has brought her great comfort and she intends to sit on it regularly and think about her husband.

lemongrove Wed 14-Mar-18 16:47:39

Obviously, the amounts of memorial benches can be overdone, and then it does look silly.
On holiday in North Yorkshire a couple of years ago, we did notice a lot, but then any holiday spot, where people have happy memories will no doubt be full of them, and it’s up to the Council to restrict them to the amount needed.

MamaCaz Wed 14-Mar-18 18:00:33

I don't like them in large numbers, as to me they can change the look and/or 'feel' of a place.

silverlining48 Wed 14-Mar-18 21:56:31

I like them, and appreciate the chance to have a sit down. I always read the plaques and say Thankyou and would be happy to have one in a nice spot with a view , in my name when the time comes.

Eloethan Wed 14-Mar-18 22:24:52

I honestly don't see what the problem is. It's not like a bench is going to completely block out a lovely view, and it's important that people - especially those who are elderly, ill or disabled - have somewhere they can sit. I like the plaques. I find them quite touching.

harrigran Thu 15-Mar-18 08:33:07

Our seafront has lots of benches with plaques and that is fine except people tie bouquets to them and limit the space for sitting.
I had a plaque made and attached it to a stone bird table in memory of my father, a keen bird watcher. The bird table is on my patio and I have been asked whether he is buried under the patio hmm

sodapop Thu 15-Mar-18 08:50:13

Benches are a good idea as they are useful but should be limited in number. It's ridiculous to have so many in one area. Tree planting is a good idea.
I hate the roadside shrines too with their awful plastic flowers, they are left indefinitely and end up looking tatty and sad.

grannysyb Thu 15-Mar-18 08:51:05

When we walked aling the pier at Swanage there were lots of little brass plaques on the floorboards. I thought it was lovely idea and I assume you would have to pay to put one there this helping to keep the pier going.