Gransnet forums

Chat

Cosmetic procedures

(88 Posts)
Dontaskme Wed 14-Mar-18 18:18:20

Just read on a different thread someone who has had dermal fillers and (I think) feels better for it. Has anyone else had anything done? I've had fillers and my DD says its knocked 10 years off and I've had botox in a horizontal frown line between my eyes. I will have both topped up as I am more than happy. DH has noticed nothing including the fact he paid for it!

Beavermist Thu 15-Mar-18 12:17:46

If you do it to look younger you may be disappointed but if you just want to look better, then why not . I would if if I could afford it .

GrannyAnnie2010 Thu 15-Mar-18 12:20:36

Sazzz, what exactly was your treatment, and is it permanent?

Sazz1006 Thu 15-Mar-18 13:43:27

GrannieAnnie, I had restylane fillers down both sides of my face, lip to chin. I had a tiny amount of bruising around the injection site but nothing noticable at all. I had it done in June 2015 prior to my August wedding just in case there was any bruising. I don’t look younger but as other people have said, I look just a teeny bit better and fresher. I wouldn’t have Botox but that’s mainly as the areas that Botox works on aren’t problem areas for me. I’m going to have it done again soon

Urmstongran Thu 15-Mar-18 13:46:29

I wish I could afford / wasn’t such a scaredy cat as I would have my ‘inverted smile’ lines done. Not to look younger.... it would be nice not to look miserable!

Tessa101 Thu 15-Mar-18 14:18:33

Yes I had dermal fillers in my nasal lobes the droop from side of nose down to mouth. I’m really pleased with result well worth the money and it also knocked 10 years off me. It last for around 18 months and will definitely have them again. I had no problems and it doesn’t really hurt as it goes in just under the skin.

valeriej43 Thu 15-Mar-18 14:21:03

Dontaskme you are doing whatever makes you feel better, and i agree with you, why look tired and feel old when you can have help to make you feel better,
It isnt a case of wanting to look younger i think, but look and feel more confident, and most of us feel as if we are still younger than we are
I had bags removed when i was about48, i had them even as a teenager and had no confidence, they were really bad
I had them done by a NHS surgeon,but privately, they made me fel like a different person
I couldnt really afford it.but my daughter paid half for me,
Recently i had fillers in my upper lip lines, just enough to soften them, as i had been a smoker but stopped a few years before, but also losing your own teeth can give you what looks like smokers l;ines,
I did have botox recently which went very wrong, due to the practitioner, injecting in the wrong place, and ended up with 2 very bruised and black eyes and nose, [she injected into the top of my nose, not between the brows
I have had it done before,with no problems [different person], and i would have it again, with a different person
For most ordinary people it just freshens your face, not overdone to look frozen
My neck is my biggest problem, and if i could afford it i would have a necklift
Vain?, maybe, but i am all for anything which helps someone to feel better and more confident
I dont smoke now,or drink, and would rather spend my money to look better if possible, my skin is good and i look after it, but cream can only do so much
It really annoys me to hear younger people especially say they would never have any cosmetic work done, i say wait until they are older, then decide
No one can turn the clock back altogether, but look as good as you can for as long as you can,it does make a difference to how you feel

GabriellaG Thu 15-Mar-18 15:15:27

Dontaskme
Thanks for that. I think I'll go for it. Fortune favours the brave...and all that.

valeriej43 Thu 15-Mar-18 16:31:09

Each to their own, why be unhappy with whatever the problem is, and if like me you,[or ]doesnt smoke or drink or simply can afford it go for it
Hope all turns out well, since having my did=saster with botox last time i have been put in touch with a lovely lady who is friends with plastic surgeons, she has told me to check the BACN site]british association of cosmetic nurses,
Oh, and they should be a prescriber too, which meabs if anything goes wrong,they can act straight away to stop it getting worse
The woman i went to was a retired midwife,which a lot of them are,and only found out after she should have had someone with her,eg;if too much filler is used,they should have something that can dissolve it immediatelyif she wasnt a prescriber herself
Let us know how you get on, im sure it will all be fine,if you check them out first,good luck

Saggi Thu 15-Mar-18 16:46:51

You are right Nightowl.... Youth is 'lost' for a reason...it's meant to be lost !!

greeneyes Thu 15-Mar-18 17:04:27

I recommend Teosyal derma fillers www.dermalfillers.co.uk/brands/teosyal-reg.html

Also make sure you go to a reputable clinic preferably a private hospital ( I went to a Spire Hospital) where nurses will give you a consultation before deciding what is suitable for you. I have had derma fillers this way and can only say the results were fantastic and I would not hesitate to go again if I think I needed to, for me the results seem to have lasted and as the nurse said they encourage the production of your own hyaluronic acid. There I have given away my own beauty secret lol

Loobs Thu 15-Mar-18 17:08:10

I must admit I would like to look 'healthier' as opposed to younger - just less tired I guess, which would mean eye lids and maybe round my mouth plus teeth whitening etc. etc. However, I occasionally work as an extra and recently saw myself in a film - dear lord, I could have all the work in the world done but from a distance there was no mistaking my age - I walked across the background of the film looking 80 - I'm only 61 - back to the drawing board.

LynneB59 Thu 15-Mar-18 17:46:29

I'm 58, and for some years I've been unhappy about my VERY deep Marionette lines (mouth to chin). finally did something about it, after seeing yet more photos where I was smiling and still looked really miserable. About 6 weeks ago, I did some research online, found a very reputable clinic in my town, and had dermal fillers. 2 weeks later, I went back and the doctor topped it up with more filler. I was absolutely thrilled (despite the swelling - and the £700 total for 2 visits) with the results. The lines are still there but are MUCH softer. I don't ever want to try to look younger than my years, but I wanted to look my age without looking miserable....and now I do.

Kacee Thu 15-Mar-18 18:23:51

I would have my double chin done

TrishP2 Thu 15-Mar-18 18:24:25

I have aged badly due to sun and smoking. I have had botox once and it did smooth out the lines. I am considering an eye lift as I have (genetic) droopy eyelids. i am waiting until my daughter has it done first to see the result.

Jalima1108 Thu 15-Mar-18 18:26:35

The secret to my younger face now is I got FAT and it has ironed out the wrinkles lol.
jenwren DM used to say 'it's your face or your figure when you get older - nothing worse than a scrawny neck'.

I would have an eyelift though - some taken away rather than some pumped in!

Envious Thu 15-Mar-18 18:37:27

I’ve always had the makings of eye bags it’s just how hollow underneath my eyes are. It’s gotten to be the fatty ones as I’ve aged. I also have some upper eye drooping but it doesn’t effect my eyes. I don’t think I’d look like myself if I had upper eye lift but I’d love to have the eye bags fixed.

HurdyGurdy Thu 15-Mar-18 18:55:48

I think we (the old buggers) are falling prey to the same kind of psychology that the young young young generation is - inasmuch as they are fed that a size 0 figure is the only way that you are acceptable. For us OBs, it's "you have to look much younger than your years" to be acceptable.

I am neither a size 0 (nowhere near), nor do I look younger than my years, and won't be blackmailed by media into thinking I should

Chrishappy Thu 15-Mar-18 19:32:13

I'm 65 and have just had my eyebrows microbladed.!! Being fair skinned and overplucking years ago I hardly had any and had to draw them on each day. Now everyone tells me I look 10 yrs younger as they seem to have lifted my face as they have a slight arch. It's done wonders for my self esteem and I absolutely love them..

Jalima1108 Thu 15-Mar-18 19:35:48

HurdyGurdy Isn't it sad that older women have to feel that they need to look younger before they are valued!
It has come across the Atlantic and is now in the UK.

Some other cultures would be astonished that older people feel the need to make themselves look younger before they feel that they can earn respect or a place in society.
sad

M0nica Thu 15-Mar-18 19:51:11

I am amazed all these people whose spirits are raised if they are described as looking 10 years younger.

I mean what does it mean? someone of 60 can be grey haired, grey faced, and constantly tired looking. Someone of 70 can have beautiful skin, sparkling eyes and be youthful looking - and look much better than someone of 60. Beauty is in inside thing and has nothing to do with facial appearance.

I hate being photographed because I think I always look awful, but I have the sense to realise that that is all about how my mind works rather than how I actually look.

Legs55 Thu 15-Mar-18 20:34:40

I believe that having any cosmetic procedure done is a personal choice & would never judge. I personally wouldn't but over about 6 months last year I lost over 2 stone, not deliberately but my Diabetes (I'm Type 2) had become uncontrolled. The lines on my face deepened & made me look "drawn". Since a change of medication & my Diabetes being better controlled I have gained about 10 lbs, I look much better as my face has filled out again, I've still got lines when I laugh but at 62 I can live with that. I'm not slim, definitely on the large side but that's me.

So if it's what you want Dontaskme go ahead & I wish you well.

valeriej43 Thu 15-Mar-18 22:15:41

I agree that a bit exra weight helps, i have awful difficulty putting weight on, which is why i have a scraggy neck, i hate wearing something low cut
I went up to 9stone last year, never been that in my life ,but looked better for it, as i am only just under 5 ft,dont want too much, but through having a stressful year gone down to 8 stone
Trying to put some back on, but however mucgh i eat, although not a big eater,its not working

icanhandthemback Thu 15-Mar-18 23:22:55

Dontaskme I always said I would never have anything done but nowadays I look in a mirror and wish for any procedure that is completely painless and free! However, as that is unlikely to become available, I may see if I can get the red veins on my face reduced if I ever have the money. I did have an implant done when my crown failed and it was worth every penny so I would definitely have more done where I have missing teeth if I had the money. Even if people choose not to get something done, I find it hard to believe they wouldn't like to look a bit more like their younger selves given half the chance.

lizzypopbottle Thu 15-Mar-18 23:23:48

I think you have to be a bit careful with fillers. So many aging celebs look as if they have a couple of ping pong balls in their cheeks.

pauline42 Fri 16-Mar-18 01:16:56

Its so entertaining to read all these comments! In middle age (around 50) I had cosmetic surgery to remove the bags under my eyes......as a "young" senior turning 60 I had a face and neck lift - a big procedure with all stitches behind my ears, incisions under my chin etc. When I turned 65 I had cosmetic work on my teeth (porcelains crowns etc.to even them out and improve my smile). At 70 (as my face lift "faded"), I concentrated on having a series of skin peels and micro abrasion treatments to improve my skin texture and fade some brown spots, and also had a few Botox sessions too! And now at the age of 75 I can honestly say that I don't think I look better or worse than any other healthy, active, happy senior of my age who had paid attention to their skin through the years using conventional yet basic skin care products. At this age it's all about loving life, and being happy, fit and content in your own skin! But do I have any regrets about having all or any of this stuff done over the years - nope - not one bit - I just put it down to "additional life experience"! As a side-note - all costs related to these procedures were paid for out of my own pocket...... I had worked full time for 33 years whilst raising our kids and running a home.