Gransnet forums

Chat

Relocating to Cheltenham.

(11 Posts)
royalfreenurse74 Fri 16-Mar-18 09:46:59

Hello
I am moving to Cheltenham in just over 4wks and I'm terrified! I don't know anyone there, and I have this vision of me sitting alone and isolated in my flat. Can anyone suggest some clubs/groups that I can join. Thank you so much. Dee

Tegan2 Fri 16-Mar-18 10:43:01

Well, the S.O. and I could always join you for a week when it's the Cheltenham Festival smile. Seriously, though, it's a lovely place; I'm quite envious...

Oopsadaisy12 Fri 16-Mar-18 10:48:29

Get onto Google and find the area you are moving too, then check out the clubs, societies etc.

TBH I would have checked this out this before I thought of moving there.

However, I hope you enjoy living there, it’s a beautiful place and I’m sure that you will find some GNrs close by.

Teetime Fri 16-Mar-18 10:52:12

Hello royalfreenurse Cheltenham is lovely and I'm sure there is lots to do there. We moved here 7 years ago and don't know a soul so we tried several things like U3A, golf clubs, tennis clubs, gyms etc etc. Some worked lout , some didn't. Don't let that put you off. There is a life for you in your new home but it does take a little time to get it going. good Luck with it - enjoy the adventure. wine

Marthjolly1 Fri 16-Mar-18 11:54:29

I moved to an area I had never been to before when I was newly single after 30 years. I needed to build a new life for myself. It was the best decision I have ever made. I tried a number of clubs and organisations and stuck with 3 of them. I joined MeetUps.com who have a social group for every hobby interest of all age groups from cinema to walking, reading, lunching, tai chi, and so very many more. It's nothing to do with dating but making like minded friends. They are a world wide organisation. I met some really lovely people. Also became involved in a little voluntary work. There are so many organisations needing volunteers. It's great fun and very rewarding. Good luck, keep positive and be open to new experiences.

Nonnie Fri 16-Mar-18 12:41:03

Every time we have moved I have accepted every invitation whether it appealed or not for the first 6 months. Its a good way to get to know people and then you can drop the ones you are not so keen on later.

Our next door neighbours came round to introduce themselves the day they moved in, you could do the same.

I love shopping in Cheltenham!

Mapleleaf Fri 16-Mar-18 12:48:11

Maybe invite your immediate neighbours round for coffee to introduce yourself. You could ask them if there are any groups/societies they know of / go to in the vicinity.
I hope you settle in quickly and love your new area. Good luck. ?

thecatgrandma Sun 18-Mar-18 11:53:01

If you are a church goer it’s a good place to start. I’m not, but I have friends who are and they became involved when moving to a new place.

Pittcity Sun 18-Mar-18 12:12:19

Try starting a meetups thread headed Cheltenham, both here and on the local forum. You may find some gransnetters nearby.

Deedaa Sun 18-Mar-18 12:23:54

When my mother moved to Cornwall the first thing she did was join the WI. She soon had a whole lot of friends.

Daisymay1 Sun 18-Mar-18 12:56:49

I agree Church is a great place to start if you go to church . If you don't it's never to late to go , people are usually welcoming and friendly . You could try U3A or volunteering somewhere . Good luck on your new venture . ?