Gransnet forums

Chat

Does no one else share similar usernames?

(38 Posts)
Luckylegs Tue 03-Apr-18 00:03:07

I’ve been on holiday and just caught up with the good news about Annie’s unwanted lodger as I’ve been following it and commented once. I’ve been on GN for years and took my username from my childhood nickname. I was surprised to see a post on that thread by someone with a similar username to me that she was confused that GNHQ had allowed me to have my name. I feel a bit upset about this as if I’m not allowed to be part of our forum. You never know, I might have been on first and they decided that the names were different enough to be ok. I feel embarrassed to post or comment now and am wondering if it would be better to leave Gransnet if I can’t comment if I want.

Bathsheba Sat 07-Apr-18 16:16:56

I completely get why the system can't refuse names that are similar, only names that are identical.
What would be good is if, as a new member types in their chosen nickname on registration, a list of users with similar nicknames was generated. In this way they would at least see that there are others already registered with near identical names and they could then perhaps think about choosing something else.
I've been on forums where there is a search facility for members, and the entire member list is generated. I can't think of a single reason why that would be a bad idea, though I'm willing to be persuaded why it could be.

BlueBelle Sat 07-Apr-18 15:41:28

Oh dear, I m me Lemongrove
i did see a Bluebell123 the other day which i d never seen before would that be who you mean ?
Maybe I should change it to BLUEBELLE then you d all think I was shouting at you ??but you wouldn’t miss me would you?

lemongrove Sat 07-Apr-18 15:19:09

BlueBelle I get you and a similar named poster mixed up.

BlueBelle Sat 07-Apr-18 11:00:43

I do think names plus a number are too confusing are people really going to remember that Daffodil is a fervent feminist but Daffodil1 can’t stand feminists ( made up names in case anyone is jumping up and down I haven’t seen a daffodil on here.)
Can’t you make a rule no numbers you could have a name plus a spelled numer Daffodilone would be much less confusing

PamelaJ1 Sat 07-Apr-18 10:45:48

What a good idea seacliffe?? I totally agree.

Farmor15 Sat 07-Apr-18 10:23:51

One way of distinguishing people with similar usernames is to include a number- and not just a single digit (especially not a 1 (one) as that can be confused with L. When I was choosing a name, I wasn’t sure if there would be other Farmors so added 15.

I wonder would Gransnet allow existing users to modify usernames to include a number, or change the computer settings so all new names had to include a number- as with many websites? I’ve definitely got confused by the similar names, especially if it’s a controversial subject.

glammanana Sat 07-Apr-18 10:03:25

When I first joined GN on that first day all those years ago there where only a couple of hundred members then.but now we are in the thousands and it is difficult to find a suitable name by some people.
There are now a few glamma's on the forum with slight differences but I am the original so to speak.
Luckylegs you just stay as you are we know who you are and would be so sad to loose you.

seacliff Sat 07-Apr-18 09:47:56

When we first join, before we choose a name, could we do a search and see if any similar names come up? Does that work?

PamelaJ1 Tue 03-Apr-18 16:39:29

I just wish I could remember anyone’s name.?
I shouldn’t think that the poster with similar name to you meant to upset you luckylegs so don’t take offence.
Is there a list of names somewhere so new members could avoid ‘taking’ a name that is too close to an existing one? If not, why not? It would also be useful to give tips on how not to pick a name that is easily identifiable.
I wish I had chosen a more obscure one but, at the moment, I don’t think anyone else in my life is on GN.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 03-Apr-18 16:36:39

grin grin

You are!

Nonnie Tue 03-Apr-18 16:29:01

And there was me thinking I was special Cari grin

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 03-Apr-18 16:25:35

Humptydumpty is absolutely right I am afraid - but as mentioned earlier, anything that is an issue or of concern do please tell us and we can look into it.

And yes, as well as Nonnie there was a Nonny, a Nonna, a Nonnanna and a couple of others that were similar at one point!

Nonnie Tue 03-Apr-18 16:03:34

I suggest you simply give it time. People often come on with a particular subject they want to share and then get bored or leave for some other reason.

There used to be a Nonny and a Nonna but both seem to have gone away. I had no complaint about them as I often have other things which are more important and don't come onto GN for weeks so I can fully understand they they wouldn't know about me.

maybetoday Tue 03-Apr-18 16:00:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

humptydumpty Tue 03-Apr-18 15:51:39

Actually, speaking as a computer programmer, it's not that easy to automate checks for similar names even though it is easy to eyeball, I don't know what the application to GN is but maybe it's not possible to check manually...

Agus Tue 03-Apr-18 15:48:52

I do remember, correctly I hope, quite a few of us suggesting a change of username was due Luckylegs due to circumstances at that time, many moons ago and all agreed you made a good choice with your new name.

Your input on here would be sorely missed so please don’t go.

I think GNHQ should consider if a new member chooses a name which is too similar to an established member, which does cause confusion re posts, they could be asked to choose a different name

Luckylegs Tue 03-Apr-18 15:31:48

I just thought I'd better explain a bit - I had (and still have) very thin legs so I got teased along the lines of "here comes Luckylegs, lucky they don't snap"!!! Haha, hilarious!

Luckylegs Tue 03-Apr-18 15:29:48

I've thought about changing my name but I know it's frowned upon and to be honest, I think I was here first so I feel a bit bolshie about it! Maybe the other person will change theirs? Thank you very much for posting such warm generous replies. I was worried a bit that I'd get blasted..........!

lemongrove Tue 03-Apr-18 11:49:40

Change your name?

jollyg Tue 03-Apr-18 11:40:53

Do stay as you give us income
.Or am I being a cynic?

gillybob Tue 03-Apr-18 11:34:24

Wouldn’t it be fairly easy just to prevent usernames that are too similar ( ie similar characters ) ? Potentially not very nice for a long standing member who has her/his name almost hijacked, especially if, (as has happened recently) , the other user has very controversial views .

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 03-Apr-18 09:21:35

Hi lucky - the way usernames work is that when people join, they choose whatever they like and as long as no one has exactly the same it is allowed by the system - we don't actually get involved in this at all so would not be aware of similarities unless they are pointed out to us.

One thing that has become clear over the years is that there are very many names that have similarities to those chosen by other users. In the main this is pure coincidence (nicknames that we believe to be unique turning out not to be - this happens a lot) or people choosing similar names for similar reasons. When joining, unless you scroll through all our talk forums, you probably wouldn't be aware that your name might be similar to one already in use unless you have seen a post by that particular person - and when most people join they do so without being overly familiar with what's on our threads etc

So the chances are that it is pure coincidence and their reasoning for their choice may be coincidentally the same as well (I thought I had an unusual childhood nickname but it turns out it wasn't unusual at all).

The other thing is that sometimes people join but don't actually post for a long time (sometimes years) after so it can be that two people have long-held usernames that are similar without realising it.

Of course, if there are posts from people taking issue then please do report them to us and we will happily take a look.

Most importantly - do stay - you are a greatly valued member of the site!

Grannybags Tue 03-Apr-18 08:52:44

I agree. As one of the "doddery old folk" mentioned by kittylester I do get confused ! Sometimes I think what a strange post from someone who normally has the opposite point of view then realise it's another poster!

Luckygirl Tue 03-Apr-18 08:46:02

You could simply change your user name and let everyone know that you have done this - you could call yourself "Changedmyname"! Several people have done this, including me.

Your username is a bit like mine - but I forgive you! smile

BlueBelle Tue 03-Apr-18 08:42:22

That’s the major trouble if someone with a very very similar name has totally opposing views it would be awful

I think GNHQ who keep a very tight reign on everything else should be much more on the ball with these similarities, there really are enough names in the world but it is HQ s problem because when as a newbie we choose a username it isn’t clear to us that there is already a similar one but it must be clear to HQ as they don’t allow you the exact same one but allow one with a number or letter added on which really isn’t good enough it needs to be quite different