Gransnet forums

Chat

Does no one else share similar usernames?

(37 Posts)
Luckylegs Tue 03-Apr-18 00:03:07

I’ve been on holiday and just caught up with the good news about Annie’s unwanted lodger as I’ve been following it and commented once. I’ve been on GN for years and took my username from my childhood nickname. I was surprised to see a post on that thread by someone with a similar username to me that she was confused that GNHQ had allowed me to have my name. I feel a bit upset about this as if I’m not allowed to be part of our forum. You never know, I might have been on first and they decided that the names were different enough to be ok. I feel embarrassed to post or comment now and am wondering if it would be better to leave Gransnet if I can’t comment if I want.

BlueBelle Tue 03-Apr-18 06:53:13

Well first and foremost don’t leave Luckylegs
I think it’s in everyone’s interest to have completely different names and I. think it’s utterly confusing when there is only one letter different Have you thought of a private message to her, when it happened to me the other Bluebell had a figure one instead of the letter l and it looked exactly the same she hadn’t realised and was more than happy to change her name as I d been on a lot longer
If a PM doesn’t work how about changing your name to Luckylegsthefirst

tassiegran Tue 03-Apr-18 07:21:23

Yes it's odd that the second luckylegs thinks that the first luckylegs should not have her user name!confused It almost seems as though she tried to register as just luckylegs and the site would have informed her that the username was already taken, so she just added the 9 to be able to use the name.

NanKate Tue 03-Apr-18 07:33:27

I suggest you contact HQ and ask them to sort out the problem. Please do not go.

janeainsworth Tue 03-Apr-18 07:46:36

I’ve posted on the abortion petition thread about this issue, as the OP in that thread has a very similar username to an established poster, and I think it’s confusing for everyone, and unfair to the member who had the name first, to allow such similar names.
I hope GNHQ take note.

kittylester Tue 03-Apr-18 07:49:32

I echo what Kate says. Talk to hq. That is far too confusing for doddery old folk like us!

But, please don't go

gillybob Tue 03-Apr-18 07:54:07

I agree with janeA the OP on the abortion petition thread it just one letter different from a long established poster .
I don’t think HQ should allow such close similarities .

gillybob Tue 03-Apr-18 07:55:32

Oh and I echo other posters. Don’t leave Luckylegs speak to GNHQ there must be something they can do .

absent Tue 03-Apr-18 08:00:01

I joined Gransnet at the beginning with the name "absentgrana", which I later changed to just "absent". Much later, someone else joined as "absentgrandma" or something very similar and she had some attitudes and political positions that were very different from mine. Through no fault of her own, some people just responded to her as "absent", which caused both confusion and distress, so I am in agreement that names that are similar enough for confusion should not be allowed.

Auntieflo Tue 03-Apr-18 08:02:29

Luckylegs you can't go. I think that there have been cases where an original Gransnetter has changed their name, but then has posted a comment with a broad hint as to who they are. IYSWIM. smile . Please get HQ to sort it out.

mollie Tue 03-Apr-18 08:07:33

There was another Mollie but I haven’t seen her for a while. I had to make a point that her views weren’t mine on one thread because people were replying to her using my name and not her full screen name. I was a bit miffed at the time. Is it so hard to find a distinctive screen name? I hope HQ can sort this out for you Luckylegs.

seacliff Tue 03-Apr-18 08:32:07

Me too, I agree with everyone. Don't leave over this please, have a word with HQ.

BlueBelle Tue 03-Apr-18 08:42:22

That’s the major trouble if someone with a very very similar name has totally opposing views it would be awful

I think GNHQ who keep a very tight reign on everything else should be much more on the ball with these similarities, there really are enough names in the world but it is HQ s problem because when as a newbie we choose a username it isn’t clear to us that there is already a similar one but it must be clear to HQ as they don’t allow you the exact same one but allow one with a number or letter added on which really isn’t good enough it needs to be quite different

Luckygirl Tue 03-Apr-18 08:46:02

You could simply change your user name and let everyone know that you have done this - you could call yourself "Changedmyname"! Several people have done this, including me.

Your username is a bit like mine - but I forgive you! smile

Grannybags Tue 03-Apr-18 08:52:44

I agree. As one of the "doddery old folk" mentioned by kittylester I do get confused ! Sometimes I think what a strange post from someone who normally has the opposite point of view then realise it's another poster!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 03-Apr-18 09:21:35

Hi lucky - the way usernames work is that when people join, they choose whatever they like and as long as no one has exactly the same it is allowed by the system - we don't actually get involved in this at all so would not be aware of similarities unless they are pointed out to us.

One thing that has become clear over the years is that there are very many names that have similarities to those chosen by other users. In the main this is pure coincidence (nicknames that we believe to be unique turning out not to be - this happens a lot) or people choosing similar names for similar reasons. When joining, unless you scroll through all our talk forums, you probably wouldn't be aware that your name might be similar to one already in use unless you have seen a post by that particular person - and when most people join they do so without being overly familiar with what's on our threads etc

So the chances are that it is pure coincidence and their reasoning for their choice may be coincidentally the same as well (I thought I had an unusual childhood nickname but it turns out it wasn't unusual at all).

The other thing is that sometimes people join but don't actually post for a long time (sometimes years) after so it can be that two people have long-held usernames that are similar without realising it.

Of course, if there are posts from people taking issue then please do report them to us and we will happily take a look.

Most importantly - do stay - you are a greatly valued member of the site!

gillybob Tue 03-Apr-18 11:34:24

Wouldn’t it be fairly easy just to prevent usernames that are too similar ( ie similar characters ) ? Potentially not very nice for a long standing member who has her/his name almost hijacked, especially if, (as has happened recently) , the other user has very controversial views .

jollyg Tue 03-Apr-18 11:40:53

Do stay as you give us income
.Or am I being a cynic?

lemongrove Tue 03-Apr-18 11:49:40

Change your name?

Luckylegs Tue 03-Apr-18 15:29:48

I've thought about changing my name but I know it's frowned upon and to be honest, I think I was here first so I feel a bit bolshie about it! Maybe the other person will change theirs? Thank you very much for posting such warm generous replies. I was worried a bit that I'd get blasted..........!

Luckylegs Tue 03-Apr-18 15:31:48

I just thought I'd better explain a bit - I had (and still have) very thin legs so I got teased along the lines of "here comes Luckylegs, lucky they don't snap"!!! Haha, hilarious!

Agus Tue 03-Apr-18 15:48:52

I do remember, correctly I hope, quite a few of us suggesting a change of username was due Luckylegs due to circumstances at that time, many moons ago and all agreed you made a good choice with your new name.

Your input on here would be sorely missed so please don’t go.

I think GNHQ should consider if a new member chooses a name which is too similar to an established member, which does cause confusion re posts, they could be asked to choose a different name

humptydumpty Tue 03-Apr-18 15:51:39

Actually, speaking as a computer programmer, it's not that easy to automate checks for similar names even though it is easy to eyeball, I don't know what the application to GN is but maybe it's not possible to check manually...

maybetoday Tue 03-Apr-18 16:00:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nonnie Tue 03-Apr-18 16:03:34

I suggest you simply give it time. People often come on with a particular subject they want to share and then get bored or leave for some other reason.

There used to be a Nonny and a Nonna but both seem to have gone away. I had no complaint about them as I often have other things which are more important and don't come onto GN for weeks so I can fully understand they they wouldn't know about me.