Soop's friendly kitchen

(1001 Posts)
soop Wed 04-Apr-18 16:18:57

Here we are again
Happy as can be
All good pals and jolly good company

Welcome to all our friends...

aggie Wed 04-Apr-18 22:59:19

Hi the kitchen , leaving all sweeties buns and cakes aside ,is there a rice ,thingy to go with my glass of water ?

JaneD3 Wed 04-Apr-18 23:05:51

Farview, Soops Kitchen is a place where virtual friends drop in to chat, seek support, let off steam and sometimes share exciting news. It is always warm and cosy and never gets snippy like some other threads.
Does that help?

MawBroon Wed 04-Apr-18 23:53:10

This may explain why I am feeling fragile at the moment.
Paws passion was his books.
Link that to his conversion to Catholicism 20 years ago and it is not hard to see the reasons behind a rather good library of Bible commentaries, books by eminent theologians and books with nice dustjackets (actually I made that last one up)
So not the sort of books you trundle along to your average Oxfam bookshop.
I have at last found a home for these, a Seminary where the two deacons at his church did their training , so today I have emptied a full height bookcase in the study and filled 5 big boxes for the seminary, two boxes of “lighter” books, Nicky Gumbel, Rabbi Lionel Blue etc, for something called The Well at our local Hospice, and one box of books which the Deacons have chosen. Oh and a box of Bibles, missals and similar stuff. They are being picked up tomorrow.
I know I am doing the right thing and I am sure that if we had discussed this while he was alive he would have approved, but I have cried for most of the last 2 days and am now a snivelling wreck. These were as much a part of him, if not more so, than personal items like clothes.
It is so HARD to say this protracted Goodbye. Perhaps I have done it too soon, but once started I have to go through with it.
???
I have not made any changes to the other 8 full height bookcases or the two walls of floor to ceiling books - History, politics, biography and nor will I. This house without Paw’s books just wouldn’t be our home.
Feeling better for sharing that and after an evening at a live streamed Macbeth from Covent Garden with friends.
Thank you for your patience. ?

cornergran Thu 05-Apr-18 08:24:50

No wonder you’re fragile maw, the letting go isn’t a one off that’s for sure. Sending love and anything else that might help just a little bit. Please be kind to yourself.

Charleygirl Thu 05-Apr-18 08:27:04

Maw I did not realise that the upset was so personal- I had thought that GN had upset you. He will be pleased that his books are going to a good home- they are not quite material for the local charity shop and they will be loved and cherished in their new home as much as they were in yours.

Callgirl I do hope that Mia does not sharpen her claws on the new carpet. I have laminate floor and bedside rugs in my bedroom and Tara has ruined one rug because she uses claw sharpening to get my attention and she knows she is spot on 100% of the time.

I received my on line delivery yesterday and one Sweetex packet came in its own carrier bag which cost me 5p. Do they not apply common sense?

Alygran Thu 05-Apr-18 08:52:03

Morning the kitchen
Bright and sunny on the edge of the Peaks but am off back to North Yorks today. Two lovely days with DD1 and DGS despite the rain and hail.
Maw flowers the books are going to a good place. I did similar with DH’s but kept the Bibles and Prayer books he used. As a Rev I also have a wardrobe full of his robes which will go to Leeds for new ordinands shortly. I am keeping the embroidered things like stoles and his home communion set which was an ordination gift from me and the girls.
I wanted everything to be used that did not have a close sentimental attachment.
Not looking forward to being back in the empty house again, but at least the sun is shining.

JaneD3 Thu 05-Apr-18 09:35:42

Maw you are going through times that I dread, along with lots of the Kitcheners, I guess. The books are going to places where they will be used - please take comfort from that. flowers

grannyqueenie Thu 05-Apr-18 09:50:29

I’m with you on that JaneD3. I’ve no idea how it would hit me if my old boy wasn’t around, but I suspect like a sledgehammer wouldn’t even come close.
flowers for you maw and others who’re walking that path

soop Thu 05-Apr-18 11:38:02

A warm welcome to Doodle and farview I shall endeavour to summarise what the kitchen is about.
It's a virtual kitchen (no need for washing up and all that rubbish) where people gather to share experiences. The cake is calorie-free. The banter is at times nonsensical BUT we all get along and are good listeners. Experience has taught us a great deal. It's good to share. We do not judge each other and unkindness is a big NO-NO! Hang around, and get to know us. As I've already said...you are very welcome. smile

soop Thu 05-Apr-18 11:42:29

Hello Alygran...haven't heard from you in some time. You and Maw have something special in common. I shall pull up a chair so that you can sit together and empathise with each other. flowers

soop Thu 05-Apr-18 11:51:55

Greyduster Your response to kitty's post made me hoot.

I'm preparing for a proper spring clean. hmm First thing to do is empty the entrance hall of clutter (shoes, walking sticks, umbrellas and an assortment of hats and gloves) and dispose of certain stuff. Then I shall prepare to paint the scuffed skirting boards. After that - on into the kitchen. Then the utility room will be blest with blitz. MacSporran will disappear into the loft. There will be much scraping, bumping and banging, after which, he'll have a box or two of non essentials to take to the tip.

soop Thu 05-Apr-18 11:53:25

I shall return in the fullness of time. wink

soop Thu 05-Apr-18 11:55:37

aggie Are rice thingies calorie-free? Do they resemble cardboard? If so, that's a tall order. grin

Teetime Thu 05-Apr-18 11:57:19

Hello can I come in and bring my poor battered foot with me. I have to stick it up higher than my hip and I feel cold so can I sit by the fire please? Hallo all in here I'll soon catch up with the chat but firstly can I say Hallo to mawbroom and offer my condolences.

Mapleleaf Thu 05-Apr-18 12:02:07

? Maw and ?Alygran
It’s so hard sorting through the things of our departed loved ones, but as some have already said, they are going to be used and cherished by others.

NanaandGrampy Thu 05-Apr-18 12:34:15

Afternoon all !!

Popped out to a new ( to us) garden centre first thing so only just logged on. Its a glorious blue sky day here and us 'ex-townies' are delighted to see the pheasants out, hares boxing and squirrels running amok. I am sure over time our delight will wear off but for now we exclaim over each sighting !!

What don't you get Farview? Hello by the way!!! :-) Jane summed up the ethos perfectly I think.

Many have been visiting for a long time and so now know about the troubles and joys of other kitcheners. Why not sit a while and share an insight into your day?

Ha GrannieQueenie that's exactly what I need - a virtual exercise bike ;-)

Its difficult isn't it Maw? Do you do a swift clear out like ripping off a plaster or a lengthy one? I think the answer is whatever feels right for you.

Hello Teetime ! Hows the foot?

I must go and do some bits and bobs but back later !!

soop Thu 05-Apr-18 13:01:48

Good afternoon, Teetime How die your foot get battered? Sounds like a proper inconvenience. Or, as some Kitcheners would say - a right buggeration. wink

I'm in a right royal mess. Is that a good sign? hmm It means that I am hurtling headlong into serious spring clean frame of mind. If anyone should visit they will justifiably think...messy mare. Or worse.

The weather here in Kintyre is marvellous. I shall share some sunshine with those of you who need some.

soop Thu 05-Apr-18 13:02:51

Teetime That should read...how did your foot get battered.

Agus Thu 05-Apr-18 13:10:31

I am having a very lazy day today as we woke up to heavy snowfall yesterday which meant DD and the girls staying another day. This had us changing the rules of ‘put the iPads down and join in’?. Do I feel guilty.....not a bit

Beds to strip, housework to do so spit spot.

I do remember the day you opened the kitchen Soop and the reason. It was and still remains a wonderful sanctuary to visit thanks to youflowers .

My heart goes out to you Maw. I only have experience of clearing out my parent’s house, which I always regarded as home and it was heartbreaking. To even think about clearing anything of DH is a thought so unbearable.?

Alygran Thu 05-Apr-18 13:18:11

Thank you soop for the restful chair and good company. I often sit quietly in the corner listening to all the tales. North Yorks is as pretty as a picture today. One to lift the spirits if not to fill the empty space.

Charleygirl Thu 05-Apr-18 13:20:36

soop you need a long lie down I think because a serious spring clean cannot be correct. You have muddled that up with leisurely days methinks.

MawBroon Thu 05-Apr-18 13:40:16

What a lovely picture/view!
Well the books have gone but prompted by Alygran I have extracted some bibles for the girls and myself and feel better about it now. A very good friend who is a deacon at Paw’s church and whose children I taught so we knew him well came along with a priest from the seminary, a lovely down to earth man who said the right things about my orchids and climbing hydrangea but also said he was saying a prayer for Paw as they carried the boxes to their cars.
Tears have been shed of course but I am happier in my mind.
Specially for you Soop but anybody having a rush of blood to the head regarding Spring cleaning, I would like you to take careful note of the attached .
I think Hattie has the right idea!

Charleygirl Thu 05-Apr-18 14:44:06

I agree Maw Hattie has hardly put a paw wrong since she took over that house all of those months ago. She enjoys her rest and has earned it.

Tara I think has a very serious contender for the longest sleeper.

The sun is shining here but it is not particularly warm. Still anything is better than the deluge my friend in Berwick is experiencing.

Gagagran Thu 05-Apr-18 14:47:53

We have had a productive morning using our new toy - a power washer. It is definitely one of my better buys according to Mr Gaga and between us we have cleaned the patio and garden paths plus the garden furniture. The glass top table and chairs have never been so gleaming since the day we bought them, which is 15 years since!

Our window cleaner power-cleaned the patio and the path from the back gate a couple of years ago and charged us £180 so I reckon the £75 this machine has cost us is well worth it.

I'm going to to make a nice pot of tea now - anyone want one? (Or coffee if preferred)

MawBroon Thu 05-Apr-18 15:25:30

Which make did you get gaga?
I shelled out over £40 for a product called Wet and Ignore or some such, plus a sprayer and while it has killed the moss and improved things, the slabs are still a uniform grey and I know that when I chose them they were varying shades of beige/grey/pale terracotta confused
I once borrowed a power washer from a friend and it was very satisfying to blast everything that didn’t move plus some that did! I think it is a —toy— gadget I would enjoy!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion