Gransnet forums

Chat

Cordless stick vacuums

(34 Posts)
Luckygirl Wed 04-Apr-18 19:03:59

Anyone got one? Any recommendations?

I have been looking these up and am surprised to see that the charge only lasts between 10 and 20 minutes; even the expensive Dyson ones - is this really how it is? Doesn't seem much to me.

All advice gratefully received - many thanks.

Avamiller Thu 25-Apr-19 16:43:51

very nice review smartercomputingblog.com/dyson-v6-vs-v7-vs-v8-vs-v10/

Thingmajig Mon 01-Apr-19 11:29:04

I've had my Dyson DC44 (I think) for 5 years now and it still works perfectly. The charge lasts more than long enough to do as much as I need and has only ever run out during more intensive cleaning up after having work done in the house.
Best thing ever in my humble opinion.

Avamiller Mon 01-Apr-19 10:42:34

The Dyson vacuum cleaner is widely considered as one of the best vacuum cleaner. What exactly makes them best is their design that is quite functional as well as beautiful. In addition to this their price is something that also plays a significant role in making them best. They are having more features as compared to other vacuum cleaners and some of their features that make them famous are

Luckygirl Thu 26-Apr-18 12:54:21

I have finally taken the plunge and ordered a Dyson V7 Motorhead - it was on offer and looked a very good deal. Fingers crossed!

callgirl1 Wed 25-Apr-18 21:15:54

I have a G Tech, plus the little Multi, and I love `em! Hoovering takes much less time, as has been said, because there`s no messing about getting plugged in and manoeuvering (sp) around the house, and the charge lasts 40 minutes, plenty of time.

Luckygirl Wed 25-Apr-18 18:20:08

One of the reasons I am looking at a cordless is that we only have one carpeted room - the rest are parquet with large rugs on top. The Roomba does the carpeted room just fine, but not the wood floors - it does not get the fluff off the carpet edges. And doing that is a fiddle!

Jangran99 Thu 05-Apr-18 23:27:27

I was lucky enough to win a Shark cordless in a GN competition and I LOVE it. I already had a Dyson but that is now on light duties upstairs and the Shark is my go-to for all the harder jobs,especially the car.
Admittedly it is heavier than the Dyson.Its best feature is the fact it has 2 batteries so I can get much longer cleaning time by always having a charged battery ready for use.Of course it can also be hand held and has a great range of tools for every job.

Jalima1108 Thu 05-Apr-18 23:08:05

I have a robot too but it is a bit temperamental.

OldMeg Thu 05-Apr-18 22:53:08

Exactly Primrose

Chewbacca Thu 05-Apr-18 19:51:20

Does the handheld bit for the stairs do a decent job though? I've been dithering about getting a cordless for ages and really need one that has a good attachment for the stairs and inside the car.

Primrose65 Thu 05-Apr-18 19:33:11

I'm a Roomba fan too OldMeg. Why vacuum every day when a robot can do that for you! Although I do have a cordless Bosch for days when I want to look as though I'm doing some housework grin

NotAGran55 Thu 05-Apr-18 16:47:28

Inspired by this thread I have bought a Dyson V6 today - on offer in John Lewis for £188 . First impressions - very good .

OldMeg Wed 04-Apr-18 22:22:55

Just asked DH - he says he likes his cordless Dyson. I prefer my Roomba. I set it going in the kitchen every night and open the doors to let it in to do the other downstairs rooms when I get up to make morning tea. Then it recharges and wanders around upstairs during the day.

I can’t persuade it to do the stairs though, so that’s when DH and his stick come in. .

sodapop Wed 04-Apr-18 21:47:22

Same here, easy to use and the charge time is ample. I only use it upstairs at present though.

gummybears Wed 04-Apr-18 21:24:51

The Dyson has good power for the never ending dog hair and crumbs, and its obviously very light and portable. I am very happy with mine!

merlotgran Wed 04-Apr-18 21:08:39

I love the way it whizzes across a laminate floor with a mind of its own.

It reminds me of the dogs looking for a biscuit that has rolled under the table and between the legs of a chair.

Cherrytree59 Wed 04-Apr-18 21:00:58

Oops should have said mine is also a Dyson stick thingyblush

cornergran Wed 04-Apr-18 21:00:18

Dyson for us too. Very easy, efficient and quick to use. Most weeks the ‘big’ Dyson doesn’t see light of day.

Cherrytree59 Wed 04-Apr-18 20:57:33

Whizz it around after DGC departgrin
Attachments great for curtains cobwebs etc
Easy to vacuum under furniture.

tanith Wed 04-Apr-18 20:13:23

Another vote for Dyson it was the best thing OH ever persuaded me to buy I love mine. So easy and quick I can do my 2 bed house ? including the sofa ? and chairs before it runs out of ? power.

Jalima1108 Wed 04-Apr-18 20:04:58

It depends on the size of your house Luckygirl - I can whiz round the ground floor in 20 minutes, including the bottom half of the stairs - the charge lasts for less time if you use the 'boost' facility.

However, if I want to do a really good 'spring clean' and move all the furniture then I use the plug-in cleaner.

As merlotgran says, you can just grab it and have a whiz round daily without too much fuss.
(or not daily if you don't want to grin)

MargaretX Wed 04-Apr-18 19:48:26

Its true they need to be plugged in again after 20 minutes but because you are free to walk every where without having to pull the thing behind you, you get enough done in 20 minutes.
I love mine!

Fishpieplease Wed 04-Apr-18 19:46:32

Another vote for the Dyson V6 animal. Merlotgran,I agree as I’m far more tempted to vacuum more often as it’s soooo easy to use.

merlotgran Wed 04-Apr-18 19:36:27

It's that feeling of not 'having to get the hoover out' that I love. Just grab it off the wall, quick whizz round and put it back again. I don't worry if I have to stop and carry on later for whatever reason because you're not tripping over the damned thing that you've left in the middle of the floor.

As you can probably tell, I used to hate vacuuming. grin

J52 Wed 04-Apr-18 19:32:44

Yes, just flip the lid on the container. Every so often I take the whole container off and give it a good clean out, wiping any dust from the machine end.