Gransnet forums

Chat

Raining again ...

(29 Posts)
MrsJamJam Sat 07-Apr-18 15:21:15

and I was feeling fed up that the garden is still too wet to get going. Then I opened the back door and in the oak tree right outside there was a chiffchaff singing his little heart out. And then I remembered how thrilled my darling dad was every spring when the summer migrant birds started to arrive. Find happiness in the small things sunshine

chicken Sun 08-Apr-18 08:12:57

Cherrytree59---thanks, but it's not a robin. I know that one well. I don't think I'll be standing outdoors listening for the song today, it's bucketing with rain--again.

goldengirl Sun 08-Apr-18 12:07:30

Wrapped in an anorak I ate my lunch outside yesterday in the garden and thoroughly enjoyed the birdsong. I only recognise a couple - one is like a squeaky gate and I looked it up on the internet and it's a great tit. The bats are beginning [well the first time this year I've noticed them] flying about too. Our bird table has seen all sorts and I've put a poster up so the GC can learn to identify what they see - however the sizes on the poster are grossly out of proportion but they are learning and enjoying pointing out the ones they see.
I also learned last night on a programme about Owls that their feathers can't cope with the wet unlike other birds. This means that feeding the partner nestling on eggs is very dependent on the weather. I also learned that squirrels [greys] are not averse to seeing off owls and taking over their nesting places!!!

eazybee Sun 08-Apr-18 12:17:50

My father, Lancashire born and bred, used to refer to my ex as a nowt. I never heard nowty before; useful one to add to my vocabulary.