Gransnet forums

Chat

Other ‘places’ to char

(31 Posts)
Sallyann1 Fri 13-Apr-18 07:32:07

So, when you lovely GNs are not on these forums ( and not childminding, parent caring, cooking, cleaning, playing the ukelele, dancing, singing, travelling, going to church, reading, etc etc) where else do you chat online? Interested to know if there are other forums ?

Sallyann1 Fri 13-Apr-18 07:37:02

“Other places to char”???? No I don’t want to know of big houses that have vacancies for cleaners! Meant other places to chat! ?

BlueBelle Fri 13-Apr-18 07:44:42

I go on a local site which used to be chatty but now is mostly games and links but not much chat
Play Words with friends ( although not necessarily friends) but that’s not chatting I use fb but again that’s not really chatting so I guess only GN for real chatting

TwiceAsNice Fri 13-Apr-18 08:12:00

Don't know of any others tbh and wouldn't have time for more then one. Happy with Gransnet

Greyduster Fri 13-Apr-18 08:17:18

The only other site I use is a fly fishing forum (we have a lovely badge grin) - mostly blokes; often very funny banter, but stacks of good advice based on long experience, and interesting information.

gillybob Fri 13-Apr-18 08:23:12

I don’t chat anywhere else either . I’m not on FB or anything . Happy just with Gransnet for company smile

baubles Fri 13-Apr-18 08:24:40

I’m a member of a couple of closed or private Facebook groups. Mainly Archers related or spin offs.

Pittcity Fri 13-Apr-18 08:29:01

Comment occasionally on Facebook and Twitter but prefer GN.

Anniebach Fri 13-Apr-18 08:42:00

Only here. Several Genealogy sites but no chatting. Play Words with Friends, with younger daughter and play solitaire and several games on my own.

Charleygirl Fri 13-Apr-18 08:48:44

I have no interest in Facebook or Twitter and I really waste enough time on GN without looking elsewhere. I do email 7 people frequently, one at least twice a day. That keeps me occupied and off the streets.

Sallyann1 Fri 13-Apr-18 08:53:53

Thanks! Thought maybe there were masses of similar sites I was missing out on, but sounds like not. We’ve got a VW campervan and look on related sites re that - but mostly for info rather than chat. Used to sell a lot on eBay and they had a Community forum that was quite jolly.
Have a good day! Grey and gloomy here ?

yggdrasil Wed 18-Apr-18 16:02:22

There are loads of other forums. I'm on 50+
www.fiftyplusforum.co.uk
which is excellent, also www.silversurfers.com which isn't so good.
Just Google :-)

Granny23 Wed 18-Apr-18 17:19:00

I've recently joined 'Talking Point' which is a forum for people with dementia and, mainly, their carers. It is an absolute mine of information, hints and tips. There are some threads where people just let off steam after a particularly stressful day and are comforted with empathy and support. I must admit that there are some where a few people vie for the 'I'm suffering the most' medal or wallow in their misery without making any attempt to take the advice offered. I avoid that type of thread.

I'm also on some Local Community facebook pages and several of the 'Independence' fora, which keep me up to date and allow me to join in discussions, even though I am now virtually housebound caring for DH.

These fora are are a life line for those of us denied the usual social contacts. I would be very lonely and left talking to myself without them.

maryeliza54 Wed 18-Apr-18 17:47:15

MN and Twitter

Menopaws Wed 18-Apr-18 18:09:02

I'm very happy with gn, did try another one but can't remember the name but it felt patronising, might try fiftyplus though

phoenix Wed 18-Apr-18 18:15:58

Charleygirl just snorted my evening glass of wine at your "keeps me off the streets" comment! The mind boggles grin

BlueBelle Wed 18-Apr-18 18:29:09

Fiftyplus sounds good I m going to have a look st it Are there older members because 50 seems a long time ago

DanniRae Wed 18-Apr-18 19:04:49

Just Gransnet for me! I don't feel the need to look elsewhere. I spend enough time on here!! grin

yggdrasil Thu 19-Apr-18 16:18:51

Bluebelle Fiftyplus sounds good I m going to have a look st it Are there older members because 50 seems a long time ago

Well there's me :-) And it is 50 PLUS. It has the usual range of talk, serious, chat, games. There are more men there so more of a range of views. And it is well but lightly moderated

GrandmaMoira Thu 19-Apr-18 16:21:10

I use Facebook a lot.

bikergran Thu 19-Apr-18 16:31:56

just had a look at 50+ and it states that what is posted in the forum...stays! in the forum...interesting..hmm doesn't go on social media etc.

bikergran Thu 19-Apr-18 16:34:46

hmm yet just looked on the first forum and it says "this forum is public and visible to anyone...so beware...conflicting. think I will stick to Gn smile

Fennel Thu 19-Apr-18 17:40:27

Gnet is my favourite too. But I also still belong to 3
francophile forums (membership dwindling) a WW2 forum, and one about the history of my home town.
No Facebook, Twitter etc.

phoenix Thu 19-Apr-18 17:45:48

I too play "Words with Friends" and am currently playing against another GN member.

kathsue Thu 19-Apr-18 18:00:25

I have ms and sometimes go on the ms forums to compare symptoms and pick up lots of information that doctors don't have time to mention. I like GN for a wider variety of topics.