Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you feel old?

(128 Posts)
Bluegal Mon 16-Apr-18 20:19:32

I am 65 at the end of the month and wonder how that happened! I still feel 25! Anyone else?

mcem Mon 16-Apr-18 20:34:15

Turned 70 a month ago and generally I don't feel old.
However today my hip has been very painful and this is a new and unwelcome experience! Normally once I 'm up and about I have no problem but today it just hasn't. It has slowed me down, cut short a shopping trip and I cancelled drinks with DD2 this evening!!
That makes me feel old, not the 70 label!

Elegran Mon 16-Apr-18 20:39:46

I am organising my 80th birthday celebrations - the whole family will be together in a big self-catering house (and I do mean BIG) but I don't know who this strange woman is who will be 80. It can't be me.

tanith Mon 16-Apr-18 20:59:50

Don’t feel old, I’ll be 70 soon but it’s been the three funerals I’ve been to recently that’s made me realise time is passing swiftly and my eldest daughter is 50 next year so she reminds me.

Grannybags Mon 16-Apr-18 21:02:26

I'm 65. I don't feel old till I look in the mirror!! shock

Purpledaffodil Mon 16-Apr-18 21:11:46

Didn’t feel old until I came across a clip from a pop show in 1965. There I was in the audience aged 15. Bad enough, but my brother pointed out that when that film was made 50 years ago was World War 1.?

Cherrytree59 Mon 16-Apr-18 21:13:41

Granngbags before you look in the mirror just take the specs offwink

Chinesecrested Mon 16-Apr-18 21:19:54

I'm 66 and don't feel old, although the aches and pains can be annoying, especially at night. It's my belief that you don't consider yourself to be old until you're ten years older than you are now; and obviously that never happens - tomorrow never comes!

Iam64 Mon 16-Apr-18 21:20:02

I don't care what age I am but I'm beginning to feel a bit tired a lot of the time. I don't like to accept that might just be related to my age.....

hildajenniJ Mon 16-Apr-18 21:20:52

I'm 66 and feel no more than 23 on the inside.
At the funeral of an ex work colleague I met a young woman I used to work the night shift with. I haven't seen her for about 10 years. She greeted me with "Hilda, you look so young", I felt wonderful. Unfortunately the feeling didn't last long. Just looking in the shop windows on the way home, my Granny looked back at me.

humptydumpty Mon 16-Apr-18 21:23:45

I'm lucky that I had my daughter when I was 41, and the result has been that, when people know her age, they always assume I'm much younger than I am!

Deedaa Mon 16-Apr-18 21:56:21

That's always a good one humpty DD is 44 this year and her youngest has just started school so she obviously can't be all that old grin

I feel an awful lot younger than nearly 72 although I am getting quite stiff.

Grandma70s Mon 16-Apr-18 21:57:41

My mind doesn’t feel old, but my body does. I’m 78.

lemongrove Mon 16-Apr-18 22:01:58

It’s strange as most days I don’t feel old at all, and then another day will dawn when I feel really tired out easily.
Still here though, that’s the main thing, cheers! wine

Situpstraight Mon 16-Apr-18 22:06:48

Until early last year I felt much the same as usual, (sadly I didn’t look it though) then I suddenly developed an ear problem which means I now get Vertigo, then a couple of months later I was diagnosed with Asthma, I certainly feel my age now, as I never know how my day will turn out!

annodomini Mon 16-Apr-18 22:15:46

My knees feel old, and they are the same age as I am! When I look in the mirror, I can see my granny who always complained of lumbago - don't hear that term much nowadays - but lasted till she was 91, so I have 14 years to catch up with her. Like my other granny, I like 40 winks in the afternoon.

varian Mon 16-Apr-18 22:17:07

Thinking back nw, I do think I started to slow down from the time I turned seventy, so I am beginning to feel a bit old, but not very old. Very old will always be about fifteen years older than I am,

TwiceAsNice Mon 16-Apr-18 22:21:05

I don't feel old in my head I will be 65 in July. However when I look in the mirror and notice how much older some of my skin looks I'm disappointed!! I do have a spinal problem which sometimes causes me a lot of pain and I've noticed that my daughters treat me as if I'm old sometimes which is very disconcerting

Chewbacca Tue 17-Apr-18 00:04:50

I don't feel old until I take off all the bits of clothing that are pushing bits up or holding them in. By the time the make-up has been cleaned off, I feel and look ancient.

Chinesecrested Tue 17-Apr-18 00:19:11

I know what you mean, TwiceasNice. My dss pat me patronisingly but kindly on the head - no offence meant, none taken!

tassiegran Tue 17-Apr-18 00:47:49

I don't FEEL old but I know I must look and appear old to others. I get about easily and dress nicely, have to be careful though not to wear anything too young. My age certainly doesn't worry me, I would not like to be younger if it meant repeating some of my earlier years which were not happy. I am content at this age (67) .I can remember my mother saying to me that she didn't feel any differently than when she was younger and I thought "poor old thing"! Ah, the cruelty of youth! My husband however seems to have been an old man forever - he is younger than me but behaves as though he is 90.

Envious Tue 17-Apr-18 02:52:11

I’m 65 in a month and I definitely look and feel much older then I did two years ago. I went through a very stressful emotional period and I can only blame myself. I realize now i need to practice some self love before it gets worse!

Marthajolly1 Tue 17-Apr-18 08:00:35

I always wonder where the 30 something that lives in my head goes when I look in the mirror and see my mother looking back at me. Just turned 68 and very, very thankful to have no health issues or medication and lead an active life. Nearly all my friends are quite a bit younger than me which I think helps me to keep youngish.

MawBroon Tue 17-Apr-18 08:26:55

After Paw died the DDs were very solicitous and protective of me. Not letting me do long drives (“no we’ll come and pick you up”) ringing every day, more or less helping me across roads. While I appreciated it, it also made me feel like an old lady.
Worn off now, it’s “Mum can you have the kids for a sleepover” or “Mum can you come and babysit and stay over as we’ll be late”, back to the weekly phone calls and relieved to hear I am very much getting out and on with life.

I sometimes think we can live up or down to expectations.

Sar53 Tue 17-Apr-18 08:37:58

I'm 65 in June but don't feel or look my age. Still have mainly dark hair, a few aches and pains and like Situpstraight have the dreaded Vertigo, very debilitating.
The one thing that reminds me of my age is the fact that my two girls will be 42 and 39 this year.
I also see my mum when I look in the mirror.