Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you ever been locked out or locked in ?

(58 Posts)
NanKate Mon 16-Apr-18 23:38:23

We went to an open air concert. At the interval I went to the loo where there were about 4 portaloos and about 20 women queuing up to use them. There was however one not being used and I asked why. Someone said because the light had gone in it. I decided to chance it. All went well as I sat there in the dark. I stood up to go only to find I couldn’t remember where the lock was in the dark. ? I had left my mobile phone with DH so couldn’t use the light from it. It took me ages feeling around the door in the pitch black. I eventually managed to locate it and made a very hasty
retreat.

Over to you.

Situpstraight Tue 17-Apr-18 19:32:11

Only twice , thank heaven.

Once not our fault, we were in Italy staying with friend in their 5th floor apartment and we went up onto the roof terrace, for lunch, we went to go back down when our hostess,not with the mostest, realised she didn’t have the keys. No worries says DH, so he jumps off of the roof and landed onto their balcony 2 floors down, I still shudder when I remember that one.

Second time , I dropped DH at a pub just outside town for an evening meal with clients, got home to find that my bag wasn’t in the car, my door keys and everything else, obviously inside. Went back in the dark to where I dropped DH off and in the hedge found my bag, he had kicked it out of the car when I dropped him off , phew!

Magrithea Tue 17-Apr-18 19:47:38

Many years ago as a student physio I lived in the nurses home at the hospital in my first year. Facilities were fine but no en suite in those days - there was a row of cubicles half way along the corridor with basins in each. One night we had a party and some lads came. For some reason one of our number went and locked herself into a cubicle and couldn't get out!!! Cue 'rescue' mode by the chaps resulting in a damaged door that took some explaining!!

MamaCaz Tue 17-Apr-18 20:35:27

DS2 got up to go to the loo when staying overnight in a hotel. He opened the wrong door and found himself on the landing, but only realized as the door slammed shut. So there he was - stark naked!!!

He decided to try to get close enough to reception to call for help, but without 'revealing' himself. In an attempt to do this, he spent 30 mins wandering around, but couldn't find a way to get there without being seen.
Eventually he realized that he could call for help from a lift, and a member of staff came up with a key card to let him back in his room, somehow keeping a very staight face.

He was at the hotel for a conference, and having only been in the job for three weeks, didn't know many people on arrival. Word soon spread, so when he left they all knew who he was.

I bet the hotel's CCTV was revealing! blush grin

LinAnn52 Tue 17-Apr-18 21:37:49

On holiday in Tenerife one year, we had a large curved balcony, accessed by two sets of patio doors. One morning OH and I were sitting on the balcony reading, when the maid arrived to clean our room. It was only after she left that we realised she had shut (and locked!) both sets of doors, not realising we were outside. We were three floors up, and spent quite a while trying to attract the attention of any passers by, particularly English speaking, to ask them to go into reception and explain our predicament!
The staff were very apologetic when we were finally rescued!

curlilox Wed 18-Apr-18 11:39:31

In January my husband was in our bathroom, the door was unlocked, but the handle mechanism broke and although I removed the handle from the other side I couldn't get it open. He has a brain injury and began to panic, so I ended up calling a locksmith, who released him in about 5 minutes. He charged over £150 !! shock

Maggiemaybe Thu 19-Apr-18 19:59:17

Oh dear, I've two tales.

One, three year old DS insisting he was desperate to go to the loo on a brand new coach bound for the continent before we'd even set off from the local bus station. He locked himself in, the door had to be taken off its hinges, and so we set off on the journey with a toilet in full view. We were popular.

Two, DH desperately needed the loo in Paris as we were following a self-guided walk on my Kindle. He flatly refused to go to the one in front of us, with automatic lock and flush, as he had a flashback to using one years earlier, getting locked in and having to shout for ages for someone to let him out. I laughed so hard I dropped my Kindle on the cobbles and broke the screen. Serves me right for being so heartless.

DoraMarr Thu 19-Apr-18 20:24:39

When I was in my twenties I lived in Rome. Our apartment had a roof terrace, where you were allowed to hang your washing. It was a perfect sun trap, views of the seven hills, and a nice cooling breeze, but we had a very grumpy concierge who would not allow us to sunbathe up there. (It was something to do with the rental contract.) We used to take our washing up then strip off to our bikinis, but she always seemed to catch us! One day I did several loads of washing, sunbathing in-between, and she didn't appear, Emboldened, I took the last load up without putting my clothes on, and gave the door a shove as I left. I'd left the keys inside! As I reached the roof it began to thunder. I had to walk past her cubicle in my bikini, along the busy road by the Tiber to a friend's house, in a bikini and flip flops, with the enraged portiera shouting at me. Fortunately the letting agent saw the funny side.