Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you ever been locked out or locked in ?

(57 Posts)
OldMeg Tue 17-Apr-18 07:54:57

When I was younger I was always getting locked out of the house or cars. I remember one car I had when I’d somehow locked the doors and left the keys inside, but I was able to open the boot. I climbed through the boot and pushed down the back seat and was able to crawl through to the front.

It was very undignified but at least I was back in control.

Marthajolly1 Tue 17-Apr-18 07:50:08

I was on a train once with one of the loos mentioned by Grammaretto. The large curved ones with. The first time I had used one and found the door lock mechanism a bit confusing. I settled on the loo and 'let go'. To my horror the door slid wide open and people were walking past! So embarrassing.

Fennel Tue 17-Apr-18 07:40:41

We're currently staying in a flat belonging to our son (long story). The first evening we went out without the keys and the door slammed shut behind us - locked out shock.
The flat is in a small block and luckily one of the other owners was in and kindly called a locksmith. He came and all it took was a piece of plastic to open the solid Yale lock. Relief.
I daren't tell son as he's very security-conscious.

Grammaretto Tue 17-Apr-18 01:18:29

I was on a train in one of those extra large loos with buttons to close and then lock. This one didn't open when I tried to leave. There was an emergency button but i was scared I'd stop the train!
I had to press it eventually and a light shone and the guard came and talked me through turning a handle which let me out.
I was so relieved I thought I'd go to the buffet car and order a treat.
I walked the length of the train and the person serving asked me if I was the one who had been stuck in the loo!

tassiegran Tue 17-Apr-18 00:54:21

I was in a CWA restroom with a completely sealed cubicle. Suddenly the lights went of, complete darkness, couldn't see door, scary! Luckily the lights came back on fairly quickly and when I got out the staff explained that by turning off the power this could deactivate the door locks. This was done because one of the cubicles had been occupied for a very long time and they had had trouble with drug addicts passing out in the cubicles.
Well it turned out the cubicle was occupied by a young girl who had been dyeing her hair!!!

Chewbacca Mon 16-Apr-18 23:49:41

I went to my employers home for a business meeting and after a little while, I asked if I could use their loo. I went in and locked the door and did what was necessary and then tried to leave. But the lock would not move. I tried calling, ever so politely, "hello?", but everyone was in the back of the house and couldn't hear me. After 20 minutes, I was hammering on the door, but still no one came. When I'd been in there for almost 45 minutes, my boss came looking for me. They tried shoulder barging the door, but that didn't work and they had to resort to taking it off its hinges. By the time I got out, it had taken almost 2 hours and their loo door was a wreck. So was the business meeting. Not the best way to impress your employer. grin

NanKate Mon 16-Apr-18 23:38:23

We went to an open air concert. At the interval I went to the loo where there were about 4 portaloos and about 20 women queuing up to use them. There was however one not being used and I asked why. Someone said because the light had gone in it. I decided to chance it. All went well as I sat there in the dark. I stood up to go only to find I couldn’t remember where the lock was in the dark. ? I had left my mobile phone with DH so couldn’t use the light from it. It took me ages feeling around the door in the pitch black. I eventually managed to locate it and made a very hasty
retreat.

Over to you.