Gransnet forums

Chat

The Weather

(91 Posts)
watermeadow Tue 17-Apr-18 19:16:25

It’s spring and we expect fickle weather but this is sheer bloody-mindedness! They’ve been promising a heatwave for at least a week and it’s STILL cold, grey and windy.
I’m wearing two jumpers and have the heat on. It has only been turned off on three days since last October. Gas and electricity have gone up but surely we’ve all used record amounts.
I used to never feel the cold but now I’m never warm. I feel so sorry for the baby birds and lambs and the farmers who can’t turn their livestock out.
I blame Theresa May. It’s all her fault.

Coconut Wed 18-Apr-18 10:57:30

Just been for a 40 min power walk over the woods/fields near our house. Lambs out in the fields, sun shining, birds singing .... am sending some spring and sunshine your way ???☀️

Lindylo Wed 18-Apr-18 10:58:48

It's lovely here in the south east today. Warm enough to go out without a coat. Went to the local supermarket and got really cold as they have all their freezer/chill cabinets on full blast. Don't think it's quite that warm!

Tessa101 Wed 18-Apr-18 11:05:32

Gorgeous day here in Hertfordshire, think warm weather they predicted has arrived.

hildajenniJ Wed 18-Apr-18 11:11:36

Where is it then? The sunshine and warmth I mean! It's overcast dull and breezy here. I was hoping for better, but it might improve later. I'm fed up with the lack of sunshine.???

hildajenniJ Wed 18-Apr-18 11:12:48

BTW here is south west Northumberland.

madmum38 Wed 18-Apr-18 11:15:25

Not very warm here but can’t remember last time heating was on,years now,even had someone come to make sure the meter was working,think they thought I was rigging it someway to get free gas

BBbevan Wed 18-Apr-18 11:22:14

SW Wales. Grey start but now the sun is out. Everything is sparkling and it should be a lovely day.

Blinko Wed 18-Apr-18 11:27:27

Sun and blue skies just appearing here in the Black Country after a cloudy start.

Craicon Wed 18-Apr-18 11:47:56

I live on the Atlantic coast and it’s thick mist this morning and pretty cool. We have a modern house with lots of glass so when it’s sunny, the house warms up really quickly but no sign of sun so far today. Tomorrow’s forecast looks much better, thank goodness.

Midge Wed 18-Apr-18 11:51:59

Constant drizzle in the Lake District this morning . When will spring finally arrive?

Greyduster Wed 18-Apr-18 12:11:43

Panache that was my mother’s go-to explanations for the vagaries of the weather! “It’s the Russians - they’ve got a weather machine you know!!” At the height of the Cold War she was ready to believe anything!
We have blue sky, in South Yorkshire, but the temperature is slightly less balmy than it should be due to the chilly wind. I think this is the first day we have not had the heating on, though. Long may it continue.

newnanny Wed 18-Apr-18 12:24:45

Blue sky and nice weather here in West Midlands but wind is cold. Nice to go out for a walk if you wrap up warm. I have putting heating on for a couple of hours in morning at 8am then off then on again about 4pm. We have stopped using the electric blanket though. I have already had letter from electricity and gas bills people stating my direct debt needs to go up as used more over winter.

Chinesecrested Wed 18-Apr-18 12:27:08

It's lovely here in north Essex. Sitting here in ddil's garden with dgd playing at my feet in the sunshine. We seem to have been waiting forever for this.

DanniRae Wed 18-Apr-18 12:39:45

The weather is beautiful here in South East London and I shall be sitting in the garden later to make the most of it! sunshine

BonnieBlooming Wed 18-Apr-18 12:41:42

Same here in Northern Ireland. My daughter got married on Monday and it was at least dry and bright, but not all warm! A friend who is a keen gardener planted up two old milk churns for us to decorate the venue, but ended up buying most of the plants as nothing grew how she hoped because of the horrible cold spring.

meandashy Wed 18-Apr-18 13:26:22

I haven't been out today (nor am I going to) but I have it on good authority that it's a bit blowy again today up here! (Scotland). Yesterday started overcast but by the time afternoon came I was melting. No change there for me.... menopause is not my friend ?

Growing0ldDisgracefully Wed 18-Apr-18 15:02:33

Really warm here today in Bristol though we have had the heating on in the evenings. Just about to depart to Devon where we have a caravan. Looking forward to sitting in the awning, listening to the birds, doing some lacemaking and enjoying a glass of wine! Bottoms up! ?

MaryXYX Wed 18-Apr-18 15:20:43

Hmm ... the heatwave arrived this morning.

luzdoh Wed 18-Apr-18 15:39:50

watermeadow Yes,Theresa May and Brexit. The weather would go back to normal without them.

cavewoman Wed 18-Apr-18 15:48:24

Sunburned arms here in on East Essex coast blush

TwiceAsNice Wed 18-Apr-18 15:56:57

Just got home from work a few minutes ago. It's beautiful here in Surrey although I work in West Sussex, it was beautiful there too. Wore shoes without socks today and if it continues tomorrow ( no work) the sandals will be out . Can't wait!

quizqueen Wed 18-Apr-18 16:06:26

To the first two posters, I'm very surprised you didn't blame Trump or Putin or Brexit for the bad weather....Those three usually seem to get the blame for everything!

It's lovely down in the New Forest today and I have just mowed my lawns for the first time this year. I have had the heating on a lot this winter though as I have been housebound a lot recovering from a knee replacement so I'm dreading how much in arrears I will be with my energy bills.

Greciangirl Wed 18-Apr-18 16:06:53

First day sitting out in my garden today.
Glorious sunshine. Also first day out without a coat and scarf on.

SueDoku Wed 18-Apr-18 16:42:47

Well, at least I've dried one load of washing on the line (first of the year) but it was very cloudy and grey here (Worcestershire) until about 1pm - and I've worn a fleece all day and been glad of it, as the promised warm weather hasn't arrived... sad
My friend, who lives about 12 miles from me, has been sitting in her garden basking in the sunshine for most of the day..! Ah, the good old British summer - every season in one day...!!! ?

David1968 Wed 18-Apr-18 16:53:33

Woo-hoo! Lovely in Lancashire!