Gransnet forums

Chat

Is there a point when you realise you're too old for .......

(86 Posts)
Willow500 Sun 22-Apr-18 07:20:53

No not that! I've been idly looking through Right Move at properties way out of our league financially but suddenly realised if we miraculously won the lottery I no longer would want to buy a 6 bedroomed luxury house with vast acres of garden or dozens of rooms. Gone are the days when a huge house even appeals. All that cleaning, all that gardening - although I guess if you did win the lottery you'd be able to employ a little man grin

Are there things you once desired but now feel too old to want or need?

grandtanteJE65 Sun 22-Apr-18 10:07:52

I never wanted a large garden, but we have one now, because we fell for the house! I feel far too old to take up gardening now! Make do with the basic minimum.

I too feel to old to balance on ladders cleaning gutters and the like!

Where, oh, where, is the nice young man who would do it for us?

Jane43 Sun 22-Apr-18 10:10:54

Riding a bike - I ached for at least two weeks afterwards.

Road trips in America. Even though we have learnt all the rules of the road over the years the drivers over there last time we went are crazy. Not do they ignore speed limits and signs they expect other drivers to as well.

Linked to the previous we have no desire to go on long haul flights any more; home is much more attractive to us now.

MawBroon Sun 22-Apr-18 10:16:57

Eyeing up younger fit men grin
You can still look, but don’t expect it to be reciprocated ??sad

merlotgran Sun 22-Apr-18 10:23:43

Hosting lively parties. We did our last one two weeks ago. Great fun but it took us nearly a week to recover.

Coconut Sun 22-Apr-18 10:23:59

Nannylovesshopping .... I share your pain !! ?Also, with clothes, have always loved fashion but you get to an age where you have to totally change your style and go for the sophisticated look ! Nothing worse than “ mutton dressed as lamb” ...????

Teetime Sun 22-Apr-18 10:26:24

I'd still like to go on that very expensive Safari in Botswana. I have been fortunate enough to go on 2 Safari holidays (Kenya and South Africa) so I suppose anything more would be greedy.

paperbackbutterfly Sun 22-Apr-18 10:47:37

Not going to a music festival when I was younger. Now the thought of dirty loos and sleeping in a tent fill me with horror and I know I will never go but I would have loved the music and excitement

Lilyflower Sun 22-Apr-18 11:02:32

We always wanted a period property, the Georgian rectory, with a view of the church. We could possibly swap our extended and nicely done up 1930's house for 'the dream' in somewhere like mid Devon where knockout property is still not overpriced. But now I want to be near the children, one of whom still lives at home as he works in the village and another of whom lives 20 minutes away.

GeminiJen Sun 22-Apr-18 11:04:56

There are activities I miss because I'm no longer physically capable, things like high level walking in the Alps, scuba diving in the Red Sea, cycling for miles without falling off in an unexpected gust of wind...I'm so glad though that I have the memories. Nowadays, I just enjoy the fact that, as I become increasingly decrepit, those younger fit men mentioned above are still around to help lift my carry-on luggage into the overhead locker and I can enjoy giving them a grandmotherly beam of thanks grin

Witzend Sun 22-Apr-18 11:12:13

Must say it's donkeys' years since I've eyed up younger fit men! Would rather have a dog any day! Still plenty of exercise - with an adoring companion who doesn't give a toss about cellulite or unshaven legs!

DoraMarr Sun 22-Apr-18 11:23:27

To Welshwife: you're describing my home! I sold my big suburban house, much to the concern of my children (I"d lived there 30+ years) and that's exactly what I have, with a park, a cinema and an arts centre on my doorstep-and a supermarket-and a JL ten minutes away.
I think I'm too old for running, though. Tried it last week, to catch a bus, and could hardly lift my feet of the ground. And what a sight I must have looked! sedate walk from now on.

Peardrop50 Sun 22-Apr-18 11:23:39

I do have my dream home, four bed rectory with a view of the church. An acre of manageable garden. We have recently completely gutted the house and made it very user friendly and uncluttered so that we can continue to enjoy it for a while longer.
We are currently making more gravelled parking area to cut back on garden maintenance and have requested very raised raised beds for flowers and veg.
We have decided that one car is enough now that we’ve retired and have gone for a Skoda yeti so that I can get in and out without bending. Marvellous.
So hopefully we can continue to entertain family and friends for another ten years or so before looking at retirement homes.
By the way, my physiotherapist friend says that moving to a bungalow too soon is not wise, she treats lots of what she calls bungalow knee.

GabriellaG Sun 22-Apr-18 11:24:57

Er...'two of hers'? I should have mentioned they belong to a friend. blush

henetha Sun 22-Apr-18 11:36:51

I always had two dreams. One was a cottage in the country and the other was a holiday home in France.
I partially achieved the first one, except that it's a Park Home instead of a cottage. The second one I honestly think I'm now too old for. Not sure I could be bothered with setting up a new home and all that entails. Instead I would travel the world staying in nice hotels and being waited on.

sweetcakes Sun 22-Apr-18 11:50:48

When the lottery first started I remember an rather elderly couple won and the first thing she was going to buy was a decent set of teeth for her husband at the time I thought what a waste BUT now I kind of understand she was content with life and that's all she needed to buy!
But yes I too have dreamed of the big house lots of money so no to the big house but I would like a smallish one where I didn't have neighbours so close by the sea would be nice......

millarhandbags Sun 22-Apr-18 12:00:59

Never to old to look. However thats as far as it goes.

dbDB77 Sun 22-Apr-18 12:12:15

I love cooking - when I was younger I wished I could afford genuine Le Creuset pots & pans - now the children are grown up and gone and I could afford to buy them, my poor old hands and wrists can't lift the d**n heavy things grin

nellgwin Sun 22-Apr-18 12:16:10

Sex grin

Chinesecrested Sun 22-Apr-18 12:20:13

I'd like to catch up on all the travelling that I didn't do when I was younger. Not too old yet, and in reasonable health. I suppose when I had the money I didn't have the time, OR spent it on other things eg the house. Now that I'm retired, I've got the time but not enough spare money unless I borrow. And DH is still working. Must start doing the lottery!

Nannylovesshopping Sun 22-Apr-18 13:16:58

MawBroon hahaha I still scrub up quite well, was out with dd last week, she said ye gods mum you’re flirting with him, he’s half your age, omg he’s flirting back!!grin

tubbygran Sun 22-Apr-18 13:49:17

We have had a dog since we married 48 years ago. Unfortunately, our lovely Labrador died last October.
I feel too old to take on a puppy and the dogs in rescue homes all appear to have problems. If only we knew of someone who was unable to continue looking after their dog for genuine reasons.

tubbygran Sun 22-Apr-18 13:50:41

PS please feel free to dm me if you know of such a dog.

BRedhead59 Sun 22-Apr-18 13:54:45

I've lived in the country most of my life and now want to escape to the town where there are bus stops, and things going on I can get to if I can't drive at some point. ...Oh and no gardening!

Marionjean54 Sun 22-Apr-18 14:01:19

Try the Cinnamon Trust Tubbygran

annodomini Sun 22-Apr-18 14:09:54

I used to fancy a nice speedy convertible car, speeding around the country with the wind in my hair. Then I thought a large, comfortable SUV would be ideal for going to visit my grandchildren. Now? I'd settle for a small automatic with air conditioning, like a Smart Car. And hopefully no more speeding tickets. blush