Gransnet forums

Chat

Is there a point when you realise you're too old for .......

(86 Posts)
Willow500 Sun 22-Apr-18 07:20:53

No not that! I've been idly looking through Right Move at properties way out of our league financially but suddenly realised if we miraculously won the lottery I no longer would want to buy a 6 bedroomed luxury house with vast acres of garden or dozens of rooms. Gone are the days when a huge house even appeals. All that cleaning, all that gardening - although I guess if you did win the lottery you'd be able to employ a little man grin

Are there things you once desired but now feel too old to want or need?

Panache Mon 23-Apr-18 10:30:53

Sadly my OH and I are simply too old .......with too few miles left on our body clocks!!............to raise,train and thoroughly enjoy another dog through out its lifespan..............a fact that we find upsetting daily, especially on meeting other folk out enjoying "walkies" with their beloved pooches.

Westiegran Mon 23-Apr-18 10:54:05

‘There are no pockets in shrouds’ Jane10

That was one of my Dad’s sayings. My dear MIL, now in her 90s, was debating whether to upgrade her kitchen a few years back and was discussing the matter with my husband on the phone. He was telling her that if a new kitchen made her feel better or would help her cope better then she should go for it and added that you can’t take your money with you and to spend it on things she would enjoy.
I murmured, mostly to myself, the old adage about there being no pockets in shrouds. Both my husband and MIL burst into fits of laughter. Her hearing is very acute, moreso than my hubby’s, and he also had the phone on loudspeaker.
To say I was mortified is an understatement. None of them had ever heard this before and from that day on whenever my MIL would treat herself it was always backed up, very happily, with ‘their are no pockets in shrouds’ ?

Feelingmyage55 Tue 24-Apr-18 00:01:47

I believer retired greyhounds make wonderful pets and need very little walking.

Feelingmyage55 Tue 24-Apr-18 00:02:21

*believe

tubbygran Tue 24-Apr-18 15:49:37

Thank you to all who have made suggestions regarding our desire for a dog. We have found the Cinnamon Trust to be a fantastic organisation and we have registered with them.
At the moment we are looking after dogs of family and friends when they go on holiday and we sometimes walk a neighbour’s dog, but we really would like our own. We are still active and lead a very full life and take our dog with us whenever we can. But we feel that at our age, we don’t want a puppy or to adopt a dog with problems.

lemongrove Tue 24-Apr-18 15:56:28

That must have been me you were coming to see Witzend
grin
I too, do not want a bigger house and am happy to have downsized at our last move.
Good thoughtful post Willow500 smile

Raphaela99 Wed 25-Apr-18 11:23:14

One day you picked up your child and then set them down - never to pick them up again. I read this somewhere and find it so poignant.

Joelsnan Wed 25-Apr-18 11:52:54

I used to wish for a sporty Audi TT car if I could have afforded one. Recently my daughter has purchased one...I hate the blooming thing, having to try and fold myself in half to try and contort myself in.
I will now happily stick with my Micra

winterwhite Wed 25-Apr-18 14:35:59

Oh, Greyduster that’s very sad re hanging up your waders. Your posts make it so clear that fishing is your great love. Are you now confined to a tent on a riverbank? Good for contemplation and the creation of great novels I believe.

Daisyboots Wed 25-Apr-18 20:24:33

Two years ago when our elderly Irish Setter died we still had her younger sister but we decided that we wouldn't have any more dogs as we were too old to start training puppies.
Just a short while later I saw a small shaggy rescue dog who was just a skeleton covered in fur. My husband wasnt really impressed by him but agreed to us having him. 21 months on he is such an amazing companion for my husband who has PTSD.? He is so well behaved and loving that nobody can imagine why somebody had dumped him on the streets. Last summer we decided to get him a pal as old Irish Setter just wants to lay on a chair all day. So a 7 week old little bundle of fluff poodle cross came into our lives. Training her was not as difficult as we had thought and the two are a delightful pair. So don't think all rescue dogs have problems because most just want a loving home
Today though, having just returned from 18 days in America, I am suffering from jetlag and feeling I am too old for the hassle of travelling long distances by plane and all the kerfuffle at the airports.