Gransnet forums

Chat

A warm welcome to Prince Louis Arthur Charles,Prince Louis of Cambridge.

(41 Posts)
Panache Fri 27-Apr-18 15:16:33

Indeed it seems that despite the various discussions and long wait for the new baby Prince`s name to be released so many have lost their bets and have been rather confounded by the names.
Personally I like the name Louis and its meaning "famous warrior" means he certainly has much to live up to.

I am sure you will all have your own thoughts.

travelsafar Sat 28-Apr-18 14:38:36

Maybe they wanted to use Louis for their first son but were advised against as so used as part of his name. Now they can use it for their second son. If i am correct doesn't the name has to be approved by the Queen.

Jalima1108 Sat 28-Apr-18 13:03:52

All the men in DH's family have the same middle name (a saint)
Deedaa when my DC were very young I was chatting to another mum who queried the fact that all our little boys had saints' name.- - they were careering noisily round the park at the time.
grin

Anniebach Sat 28-Apr-18 12:54:47

And I believe there is a Phil in Eastenders. Then we have Georgie Porgie. Lizzie Dripping . Andy Pandy. Lord Charles. We can go on on and on

Grandma70s Sat 28-Apr-18 12:47:53

There isn’t a King Louie in the Jungle Book, only in the Disney film. The Jungle Book is a book ?, by Rudyard Kipling.

Blinko Sat 28-Apr-18 12:10:54

Googled Big Louie - it seems I may be more down with da yoof than I realised. Big Louie was a character in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film.... Also one of Donald Duck's nephews (just Louie) and King Louie the Oran Outan in Jungle Book. Thought it rang bells. hmm

Anniebach Sat 28-Apr-18 11:49:39

Never heard of Big Louie

Grandma70s Sat 28-Apr-18 11:25:56

It’s just you, Blinko.

Blinko Sat 28-Apr-18 10:32:32

Is it just me or does the name Louis pronounced Louie, bring to anyone else's mind a fictional/comic American Gangster character called Big Louie?

grannyactivist Fri 27-Apr-18 22:21:35

We have a Louis, Arthur and a Charles in the family so no complaints from me. One of the little boys in the family has a French name and I would have much preferred Louis!

Anniebach Fri 27-Apr-18 21:59:15

I think Phillip is very happy with the chosen name of the baby, Mountbatten took on the role of father and gave him a home , and he was brother to Phillip's mother Princess Alice, she was buried in St.Georges Chapel, Windsor until her body was moved to Jerusalem, her father was Louis too.

Deedaa Fri 27-Apr-18 21:15:31

All the men in DH's family have the same middle name (a saint) and the girls have the feminine version of it.

Iam64 Fri 27-Apr-18 21:11:09

I wish I was a betting person as I expected Louis and Charles to be included and hoped Arthur would be.

I like all this little boys names. Louis Mountbatten was very important to Philip and mentor to Charles. Its my view he was a bad choice and didn't do Charles any favours in his mentor role. However he has been important within the RF. He was Viceroy of India 70 years ago, when Independence took place. Without getting into the rights and wrongs of the Empire or the difficulties that inevitably follow when any country is divided as India was, to call the new Prince born in the year of the 70th anniversary of independence doesn't seem unlikely.

Jalima1108 Fri 27-Apr-18 20:09:03

and my DGF was John Edwin and his brother was Edwin (called Bill)
confused
We're as odd as the Royal Family

Jalima1108 Fri 27-Apr-18 20:07:25

I find it strange to give the same name to both siblings, won't George think they've given away HIS name when he's older?
My father and his brother both had the same middle name, a family name.

Oh pul-ease!! Who cares?
Well, perhaps people who think it could start an interesting discussion on family names.
But not you, obviously, Newquay wink

Greyduster Fri 27-Apr-18 18:19:20

We had three Kings Richard and I wouldn’t say any of them were exactly ideal role models ?. Having said that, both my DS and SiL bear the name and they’ve turned out alright grin.

Newquay Fri 27-Apr-18 18:03:11

Oh pul-ease!! Who cares?

Gagagran Fri 27-Apr-18 17:57:22

Oh I'd forgotten the Duke of Gloucester - he's Richard.

Gagagran Fri 27-Apr-18 17:54:56

I'm not a fan of the names Louis or Arthur either. I thought Richard would have been a good choice - we had Kings called Richard after all and it's not in use in the wider Royal Family at present. My Dad was Philip so I would have been happy with that in the mix too!

Mapleleaf Fri 27-Apr-18 17:54:42

I like it as a name.

Mamie Fri 27-Apr-18 17:50:45

William is English really as the French is Guillaume.
Of course this origin of the name Louis is German from the Hesse and Battenburg lines, who were Philip's family.

tanith Fri 27-Apr-18 17:02:24

Pronounced Looeeee ? not Lewis

tanith Fri 27-Apr-18 17:01:38

My youngest Grandson is Louis so I’m biased ? but I do like it anyway.

Situpstraight Fri 27-Apr-18 17:01:08

My Grandads name was Louis and a couple of Uncles and a cousin. I’ve always loved it.

Grandma70s Fri 27-Apr-18 16:57:30

Charles and William are both French names, really. We only think of them as English because they have been in use here for so long.

Pittcity Fri 27-Apr-18 16:43:13

We have a Louis Charles in our family and think it is a fabulous name.