Gransnet forums

Chat

A warm welcome to Prince Louis Arthur Charles,Prince Louis of Cambridge.

(40 Posts)
Panache Fri 27-Apr-18 15:16:33

Indeed it seems that despite the various discussions and long wait for the new baby Prince`s name to be released so many have lost their bets and have been rather confounded by the names.
Personally I like the name Louis and its meaning "famous warrior" means he certainly has much to live up to.

I am sure you will all have your own thoughts.

TwiceAsNice Fri 27-Apr-18 15:24:23

I really like the name Louis too but am I the only one to think it odd that Louis is one of George's middle name? I find it strange to give the same name to both siblings, won't George think they've given away HIS name when he's older? I think it would have been nice to include Philip in the list . He may not be still here if Kate decides to have another child at some point.

callgirl1 Fri 27-Apr-18 15:28:53

Someone I know is called David Richard, his brother is Richard David. I thought it was odd too.

Anniebach Fri 27-Apr-18 15:38:41

I like the name and don't think it at all odd the brothers share a name, quite usual in my family

Auntieflo Fri 27-Apr-18 15:43:29

I do like the name Louis, but dismissed it as a contender, as Louis Mountbatten was said to be so manipulative.

Synonymous Fri 27-Apr-18 15:47:31

Good names.

Down the generations all the boys in our family have the last one of their Christian names in common and it is proudly worn.

merlotgran Fri 27-Apr-18 15:48:44

Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 at lunchtime said, 'Well, I'm going to pronounce it Lewis unless told otherwise. 'Within a few seconds he said, 'Oh, it's Lewee.'

DH's response was, 'T**t! grin

Get practicing, Meghan.

sunseeker Fri 27-Apr-18 15:56:05

One of my uncles was named Albert William and was always called Bill, his brother was named William Albert and was always called Bert! I know - I come from a very weird family!

glammanana Fri 27-Apr-18 15:56:54

Good modern choice I like it,it had crossed my mind but thought they would stay more traditional to be honest.

Lona Fri 27-Apr-18 15:58:35

That made me chuckle sunseeker ?

Fennel Fri 27-Apr-18 16:01:52

I expect it comes from Louis Mountbatten. Personally I don't think it's right for an english royal.
But Louis Armstrong - that's another matter smile.

Grandma70s Fri 27-Apr-18 16:03:36

It’s pretty traditional among royals! I think they just have a limited set of boys’ names that they rearrange every time a new child arrives. William and George both have Louis in their names. I quite like it.

Anniebach Fri 27-Apr-18 16:06:33

Mountbatten did take on the role as father to Philip , expect Phillip will be please

Day6 Fri 27-Apr-18 16:15:49

I am not a fan of the name really, but I expect they were picking from a limited number of choices. I don't think a French (?) name is right for an English royal prince, but I didn't get a say in the matter. What a shame Philip or Michael isn't one of his names.

I heard three young people this morning chatting about his name and all pronounced it Lewis! hmm

Charleygirl Fri 27-Apr-18 16:38:06

I also do not really like the name but it is better than Alfred which I do not like. I thought that Philip would have been one of his names. My choice would have been Michael but Price Michael of Kent is still alive. Difficult.

Pittcity Fri 27-Apr-18 16:43:13

We have a Louis Charles in our family and think it is a fabulous name.

Grandma70s Fri 27-Apr-18 16:57:30

Charles and William are both French names, really. We only think of them as English because they have been in use here for so long.

Situpstraight Fri 27-Apr-18 17:01:08

My Grandads name was Louis and a couple of Uncles and a cousin. I’ve always loved it.

tanith Fri 27-Apr-18 17:01:38

My youngest Grandson is Louis so I’m biased ? but I do like it anyway.

tanith Fri 27-Apr-18 17:02:24

Pronounced Looeeee ? not Lewis

Mamie Fri 27-Apr-18 17:50:45

William is English really as the French is Guillaume.
Of course this origin of the name Louis is German from the Hesse and Battenburg lines, who were Philip's family.

Mapleleaf Fri 27-Apr-18 17:54:42

I like it as a name.

Gagagran Fri 27-Apr-18 17:54:56

I'm not a fan of the names Louis or Arthur either. I thought Richard would have been a good choice - we had Kings called Richard after all and it's not in use in the wider Royal Family at present. My Dad was Philip so I would have been happy with that in the mix too!

Gagagran Fri 27-Apr-18 17:57:22

Oh I'd forgotten the Duke of Gloucester - he's Richard.

Newquay Fri 27-Apr-18 18:03:11

Oh pul-ease!! Who cares?