Gransnet forums

Chat

How many lipsticks do I need?

(80 Posts)
Diggingdoris Sat 05-May-18 09:45:48

I am trying to clear out some of the old cosmetics I've had for years. I only use lipstick nowadays, and I seem to have about a dozen different brands and colours. But do you have favourites? I tend to use about three , but I'm loathe to throw the others out. Sadly my very best favourite is no longer available, so I am frugally using a lip brush to use up every last bit inside the dispenser. So I'm trying now to use up some of the other half used colours, that no longer seem to suit me by mixing two together, either with the lip brush or just putting two different coats on. I sound like a miser, but as most of them were expensive brands (from when I was working), it seems a shame to waste them.
Is anyone else out there as daft as me?

bikergran Tue 19-Jun-18 09:30:43

Lindylou I am with you I dont like skirts.I love trousers jeans (Im sure I really should have been male) hmm

I love any kind of tools..so you would find me in the D.I.Y department rather than the make up department lol.

But! recently I have been wanting to try a little make up.
I work on a checkout at well know supermarket and are therefore face to face with customers all the time.
A lot of my colleagues to make an effort with make up, some dont. (me being one of them)

In fact I had a nice comment few weeks ago where someone said they had pleasant service...and after describing me with the lady that looks natural with no make up and mousy blondish grey hair lol. (I think I was pleased lol)

Anyway my dd bought the JML product so whilst she was out I put it on one half of my face...and waited...and waited....eventual she said.."Ohh you've put some make up on"! lol oh that looks ok better than it looks on me as its a bit pale..but I have pale skin.

So going back to lipstick...my trouble is ..around the edge of my mouth is always dry sort of lacking moisture I have no idea why, maybe im lacking a vitamin? or Ive thought it could be my toothpaste but nope.

So when I put any lipstick on its all wiggly and not defines as my skin seems rough and dry

Any suggestions gratefully .received.
I've tried Vaseline every night, also numerous creams co co nut oil etc etc .

I ate some beetroot the other day and what a mess as the beetroot had sort of soaked into the rough dry bits (my lips were nice and pink though lol grin

12Michael Tue 19-Jun-18 09:17:37

Being a bloke I find this amusing, last weekend I was on a bus ,and the person who sat next to me brought out her I phone , only to use the camera facility to apply lipstick , she brought out the lipstick applied using the IPhone, instead of a mirror which many still do use.
Mick

kendraallen Tue 19-Jun-18 08:36:50

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

kendraallen Tue 19-Jun-18 08:35:22

I only use one colour from one brand (aren't I boring) but I have at least 6 - one in the car, one in my bag, one in the cabinet in the downstairs loo,

gillybob Thu 10-May-18 07:04:58

Why is it when I find a lipstick I love (and actually suit) they discontinue it soon after? I love the diamonds range from Maybeline but sadly all discontinued. I loved a shade called Hello from Rimmel but discontinued again. My daughter has managed to find one or two for me on one of those “discontinued” cosmetic carts they have in the shopping centre where she works but once they’re gone it’s back to the drawing board.

Marydoll Wed 09-May-18 23:18:28

I can't resist buying lipsticks abroad. In my head, a lipstick bought in Rome or Paris is more sophisticated than one bought in Glasgow. ??
As a result, I have a ridiculous amount of unopened lipsticks, purchased on holidays abroad.
Of course, in the cold light of day, they are all much of a muchness and definitely not the perfect colour I was seeking?

lemongrove Wed 09-May-18 23:09:18

I can’t use any eye make up now, sadly, no liner, eyeshadow or mascara as I get too many eye problems when I use them.Have even tried buying good quality ones for sensitive eyes, but no go.

lemongrove Wed 09-May-18 23:06:35

Winter is that a recommendation for a colour? ?
Must have a look.
Have just bought two Revlon lip tints/balm which I tend to wear in Summer more than actual lipsticks, they keep lips smooth.

Carole28 Wed 09-May-18 20:36:18

I love this thread. I am so glad I am not alone. I love buying lipsticks and I have loads. When I find one I really like I buy three or four in case they discontinue it and I love buying new shades or sets. It always makes me feel better. It's not a terrible thing to do.its quite harmless. I have a big bag of make up that I don't use anymore and my granddaughter's love trying it all on.

winterwhite Tue 08-May-18 19:46:32

lemon Revlon, Pink in the afternoon smile

Jalima1108 Tue 08-May-18 19:37:20

Throw them out after two years!

OurNan Tue 08-May-18 19:34:41

I wear makeup every day. I know I should bin old lipsticks but as long as they don’t smell off I keep using them. Too expensive to chuck! I don’t feel right with no lipstick

mumofmadboys Tue 08-May-18 13:17:14

I never wear lipstick and have never owned one. Use lipsalve sometimes

Happysexagenarian Tue 08-May-18 13:01:21

I very rarely wear makeup, maybe just for a special occasion such as a wedding, and I certainly never carry makeup in my handbag.
Just rummaged through my dressing table drawer and found . . .
1 Mascara (dried out)
1 Creme Blusher (at least 10 years old)
3 Lipsticks (2 broken)
1 Eyebrow pencil
1 Blemish Concealer (probably 20-30 years old)
2 bottles of Clear Nailpolish
No foundation - never worn it.
I have no plans to use or replace any of it.
When shopping with my DIL recently I was horrified at the prices of makeup and beauty products these days, so I think I'll stick with the 'au naturelle' look.

Blondiescot Mon 07-May-18 20:36:24

Is it bad that I don't actually own ANY make-up? I don't see the point - it wouldn't make any difference to me anyway. As the old saying goes "you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig"...

Treebee Mon 07-May-18 20:17:58

Not keen on lippy, but love lip balm, cherry chapstick is my favourite.
I do have 2 nude lipsticks though, one an Avon one and the other Bobbi Brown. Also 2 darker ones that I don’t like on me but wear when singing in a concert ( so our mouths can be seen, apparently).

millarhandbags Mon 07-May-18 18:49:57

Maybelline 24 hours is the best for staying power and I have tried a lot. Currently got 15. This one still the best for staying power.

Lindylo Mon 07-May-18 10:24:09

I only have three shades of lipstick that I rotate in using, depending what I'm wearing. I used to have more but cut down when I read that you should discard used lipsticks after twelve months (not that I do!) so it seemed sensible to cut down and use less.

Elrel Mon 07-May-18 09:47:28

Lipstick? Sure I've got one somewhere!

JanT8 Mon 07-May-18 08:59:50

L’Oreal also do the long wear lippies, with the waxy shine thing at one end.
I always use that or Max Factor Infity or similar by Maybelline, they all last and I only re-apply the shiny bit.

HannahLoisLuke Mon 07-May-18 08:26:25

I haven't counted but recently threw out about twenty that had developed slightly rancid smell.
I like a nude rose shade and recently bought a new one thinking it was nearly perfect, only to discover I'd already got the exact one already!

Lyndylou Sun 06-May-18 22:42:40

I haven't worn lipstick since the 1960s. I don't like the feeling of it on my lips and I was terrible at remembering to keep it topped up, so I stopped bothering. Mind you I'm not good at buying shoes, handbags etc and I think the last time I wore a skirt was for a job interview in 2005. I've always thought I was missing one of the female genes!

Bez1989 Sun 06-May-18 22:25:55

I like Elizabeth Arden ĺippies and
one M&S colour too.
I tend to keep to keep to the same
colour and buy more than one in case it becomes discontinued.

I also buy them online now that
I know ťhe colour.

Legs55 Sun 06-May-18 22:08:05

Not many lipsticks & I really need to have a clear out & just buy one or two. I use mascara when I go out as I have very pale lashes, replaced every 3 months. I can no longer use any other eye make up (irritates my eyelids). Nail varnish is my downfall, I wouldn't like to count how manyhmm

Nanny41 Sun 06-May-18 21:39:31

Oh dear I only have three