Gransnet forums

Chat

What 'occassions' do you dress/make up for?

(102 Posts)
boheminan Thu 10-May-18 20:59:06

I've just returned from a meal at my local Beefeater. I went straight there from doing some gardening, so was wearing jeans (not too muddy) and no make up at all.

I remember going to the same restaurant around 30 years ago, and what an occasion it was. I spent ages getting dressed up in a posh dress, plus had my hair 'done' and splotched on make upgrin.

I just wondered, what occasions would you consider dressing up for?

Billybob4491 Wed 23-May-18 17:33:10

I like to wear a smart suit for Church, that's about it really, the rest of the time I just slob around!

GillT57 Wed 23-May-18 17:12:34

I always wear light make up, too depressing catching sight of myself in the mirror otherwise! Hair cut and coloured every 6 weeks, washed every other day, always tidy. Always perfume, always earrings. But clothing wise a bit more casual; usually jeans with t'shirt or v necked jumper and scarf depending upon the temperature, shorts and t shirts at the moment. When we go out at this time of year, I generally wear white linen trousers with bright coloured top of some sort, and coloured beads. Comfortable, colourful and looks as if I have made an effort. Also, that way I can wear flat sandals as I haven't worn heels (and tights) for many years.

Besstwishes Wed 23-May-18 16:23:08

It starts on Tuesdaypolly I’ve found out that rather than get the bus and have to walk for 15 minutes to the Courts, I can use the Park and Ride which will drop me off right outside the door, at least I won’t need to take an umbrella and coat with me.
I’ve just been into the spare room and found some linen trousers, they are wide cut, but will be fine for 2 weeks. Good job I didn’t get around to sending them to the Charity shop.

pollyperkins Wed 23-May-18 10:00:48

How did you get pn bestwishes?

pollyperkins Wed 23-May-18 09:59:27

Im so glad I wasnt invited to the Royal Wedding (!! ) I'd never have afforded a designer outfit or got my feet into stiletto heels!
I didn't hear of anyone wearing a high st outfit such as Jacques Vert let alone M&S!! Well done to Kate for recycling an outfit she'd worn 3 times before!
And the thought of the nation criticising what one wore (as we have done!) is awful.

TerriBull Wed 23-May-18 09:47:47

My footwear is adapted these days, no more high heels except for special occasions and then only if it's from the car to the venue. If I know I'm going to walk any distance then it's trainers for me, I don't particularly like them style wise but they do the job. Other than that most days I wear make up, not loads, certainly not the amount I would have worn in my younger days. I have a new found interest in eyebrows, not the slug like ones that are fashionable today, but I| do like to emphasise mine and try and achieve a nice arch. I shower everyday and wash my hair every 2nd or 3rd day and will always blow dry it and use a hot plug in brush to achieve the right look. I rarely wear the same thing twice before washing it, so whilst I wouldn't say I dress up, I like to feel fairly well scrubbed on a day to day basis when I tend to wear jeans/leggings or, at the moment, my summer gear 7/8th ankle skimmer trousers. I just adapt everyday for special occasions with a slightly more dressier version, I'm not keen on dresses tend to wear wide trousers and floaty top, plus heels.

Belgravian Wed 23-May-18 09:27:29

I wear suitable footwear and clothes for my daily hike with the dogs but my hair, make up and nails are always done.

If I'm not walking my dogs I always make an effort with what I wear. I can't see the point of buying lovely clothing if I'm not going to wear it and would rather be mistaken for Alexis Colby than Nora Batty!

silverlining48 Wed 23-May-18 07:24:56

I had a hospital appointment yesterday and wore a nice, but very old, ie Over 20 years, linen m and s dress, combed hair and a tiny bit of makeup. Nice sandaks with a bit if a heel ( regretted the sandals later!) .
On the way out popped next door to my neighbour who told me i looked really glam and asked where was i going. Felt rather embarrassed to say where i was off to. should i stick to my usual very casual at home look, or up the game. certainly i do feel more confudent with a little effort.

Besstwishes Tue 22-May-18 22:20:58

Thanks Mapleleaf, I’m aiming for smart casual, but to be honest, anything a bit better than ‘dragged through a hedge backwards’ would be an achievement.

I think the anonymous, but tidy, look is the one to go for.

Mapleleaf Tue 22-May-18 22:09:30

Besstwishes, I would suggest smart casual, so your trousers and tops you describe sound fine (though if you are worried your black trousers might be too warm for this time of year, maybe look for a pair of lighter coloured ones that aren’t too expensive). Layers, pollyperkins suggests, are a very good idea, in case the room is too hot or gets too chilly, and definitely your umbrella and mac. Good luck.

Going back to boheminan’s post, I like to dress up for weddings and other special occasions, but opt for smart casual for less formal ones. At home, it tends to be jeans or shorts with tee shirt or jumper depending on the weather. Minimal makeup, but a bit more for the special occasions.

janeainsworth Tue 22-May-18 00:03:00

Glad you kept up to standard jalima grin

Eloethan Mon 21-May-18 23:21:29

I nearly always wear make up, whether I'm going out or not. I usually wear trousers and tops and only wear dresses when it is very hot, when I'm on holiday or when attending a wedding.

Jalima1108 Mon 21-May-18 15:23:03

It's what one might term 'out in the sticks' janea. Not too far from a city but that was too far to pop along and buy tights!

I did find some - and didn't wear them in the end as it was too hot. However, I did paint my toenails a becoming shade of deep pink grin

janeainsworth Thu 17-May-18 23:28:30

jalima what a bother trying to find tights in our town as the first three shops I tried 'no longer sell them'.
Do you live in hillbilly country???

Jalima1108 Thu 17-May-18 21:47:29

You most certainly do, jalima!
Well, I decided I should - but what a bother trying to find tights in our town as the first three shops I tried 'no longer sell them'.

Allegretto Thu 17-May-18 14:51:16

I slob about only when I know I’m not going out and when I’m not expecting anyone to call. I do wear very light make-up every day. I always make an effort if going out, but usually stick with smart(ish) casual clothes.

pollyperkins Thu 17-May-18 14:12:24

Good luck!

Besstwishes Thu 17-May-18 13:04:15

Good idea polly I’ll have to fish some woollies out.
I also have to find somewhere to park my car, catch a bus and then a 15 minute walk to the courthouse, so hope it isn’t too hot or wet! or I’ll be carrying a mac and umbrella, as well as everything else.

pollyperkins Thu 17-May-18 12:57:48

I havent done jury service but Im sure smart casual would be fine. If you are not sure of the temperature go for layers that you can remove or put on!

Besstwishes Thu 17-May-18 12:54:39

I don’t want to hijack this thread, but this is a well timed thread for me. Advice needed please.

I have Jury Service in 2 weeks time, I have 2 dresses, one lacy for weddings and 1 black for funerals, I have smart black trousers, probably too wintery and hot, or I have smart white jeans and I have shorts.

Everything else I have is casual with some smart tops.

Whatever do I wear without having to spend a fortune for 2 weeks of sitting down in a hot or possibly cold, air conditioned, room?

Having been retired for some years, I go for smart casual, having read some of these posts, I might be toooo casual!

But I do wear a splodge of make up and I get my hair done regularly.

henetha Thu 17-May-18 10:09:20

I aways wear a litle light make up even when alone as I can't stand my face without it. I dress casually most days but just put on a pretty top maybe when eating out. The only time I really make an extra effort is for weddings (I've got a big one coming up this year, yippee!!)

Gerispringer Thu 17-May-18 07:21:10

I’m with the “any excuse to dress” up club, I have lots of dresses, jackets, skirts, etc ( many made by me) which need an airing. Nothing like my Italian Sis in law who has 2 enormous walk in wardrobes ( one for summer, one for winter) full of designer clothes, with matching bag and shoes for every outfit. She wears Balenciaga or Prada to pop out for coffeee.

kittylester Thu 17-May-18 06:19:49

Well, I wouldn't Jalima! It's a dinner, you'll be sitting down so only your top half will be visible!

janeainsworth Thu 17-May-18 00:39:22

You most certainly do, jalima!grin

Jalima1108 Wed 16-May-18 22:50:19

We're going to a special dinner on Saturday night and I keep asking myself if I have to wear a dress or skirt and, what I dislike most, tights!