Gransnet forums

Chat

The Peace of Wild Things

(13 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 15-May-18 08:26:09

I have just sent this poem to my DD who is having a very rough patch and thought I would share it with folk on here. It is by Wendell Berry:

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with
forethought of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

Panache Tue 15-May-18 08:36:05

Absolutelybeautiful Luckygirl,it reaches all those inner parts that sometimes we fail to find an ease from our troubles.......be they real physical pains or mental stresses incorporating all those nearest and dearest..... or just ourselves..

We all get our troubles,be they all in various forms...... and we seek this haven of peace,an oasis where tranquility reigns supreme.It feeds the soul and we feel the benefit.
We feel this inner contentment washing over us and yes once again all is well in our little world.
Wendell Berry has truly captured the magic of it all.

Thank you for sharing,that has given my morning a welcome boost.smile

Luckygirl Tue 15-May-18 08:40:55

I have booked this for my funeral - the last line in particular would I hope give comfort to others.

ffinnochio Tue 15-May-18 08:51:22

It’s been a firm favourite of mine for many years.

Panache Tue 15-May-18 08:54:42

A dear friend is arranging the funeral for her 47 year old son,and like myself has a love of poetry.
So yes this will be very appropriate to send her so that she can add it to her arrangements,hoping that it will also speak to her broken and suffering heart.

Another thank you.

shysal Tue 15-May-18 09:22:56

Don't really know why, but it moved me to tears! Thank you for sharing.

Luckygirl Tue 15-May-18 09:42:08

It does me too - every time. I am hoping my DD has taken on board its restful message.

Squiffy Tue 15-May-18 10:07:15

Me, too. The power of words, eh?

lemongrove Tue 15-May-18 10:16:35

Never heard this poem before, but it makes sense to me and is lovely.I would say more important to our everyday lives though, rather than at a funeral.

goldengirl Tue 15-May-18 12:09:17

What a lovely poem. I've never heard it before either. I've just been sitting out in the garden listening to the birds - it's calming as I've been on my own at night recently and as the poem says I too wake at the least sound. Thanks for sharing Luckygirl

Luckygirl Tue 15-May-18 13:00:37

I have just realised that this is the second time I have posted this poem - well I do really love it and I am starting to get on a bit!!! grin

Grannyknot Tue 15-May-18 13:08:24

I thought I recognised it! But then thought it was me getting confused and I'd read it somewhere else! grin grin grin

It bears reposting on a regular basis smile

Cherrytree59 Tue 15-May-18 13:17:10

Luckygirl
Thank you for sharing.
I am trying hard to live in the moment When the dark clouds loom in the early hours or the the worry takes over rational thoughts I will think of your lovely poem and its calming words.
I hope the words reach out to your DD and bring her solace.sunshine