Gransnet forums

Chat

Sorry but I am so sad

(212 Posts)
Anniebach Tue 15-May-18 22:13:00

Elder granddaughter preparing to move to the West Country in June. Today the youngest, my precious little one viewed an apartment with her boyfriend 60 miles to the north. I am happy for them but selfishly unhappy for me. The first time in my life there will be no one to care for hands on. Helped with my three younger sisters and brother, then married and had my darling daughters, plus seven nephews and two nieces, now ? No one , first time in my life no family near me. I didn’t think the two granddaughters would leave here the same time. I will be so lost. Sorry to moan yet again.

callgirl1 Fri 25-May-18 17:05:32

So true MawB, thank you.

TerriBull Fri 25-May-18 17:36:09

I've only just discovered this thread. It's hardly surprising you feel sad Annie given everything that you have had to go through during the past year. No comments other than to pass on kind thoughts and hope that you continue to post and that you draw some comfort from many of the good people on GN, especially from those who have been through recent bereavements themselves. Talking about overwhelming sadness is certainly not selfish and if that proves cathartic for you and anyone else, then post away flowers

Anniebach Fri 25-May-18 18:12:43

Thank you Terri x

Synonymous Sat 26-May-18 00:04:26

Dear Annie just as Terri says. flowers
Hope you are managing to enjoy the lovely sunshine atm. Sadly we had a fair bit of wind today which was blowing away so many petals. We haven't had enough of them yet so hope they will cling on for a while longer yet. smile

Anniebach Sat 26-May-18 08:45:50

Synonymous x

The Cherry Blossom has gone so quickly this year . Hope June will bring sunshine . Will miss daily chats with younger daughter for a month , her husband is home . Granddaughters moving this month too. I am going to try getting back to cross stitching , it’s relaxing .

Lovetopaint037 Sat 26-May-18 09:22:00

They will be missing you too. Grandparents are important in children’s lives. Luckily you can all use the phone on a regular basis and you might have the internet and Skype. Photos are easily sent this way. Then the West Country is a wonderful place for holidays.flowers

Anniebach Sat 26-May-18 09:51:48

Yes my son in law is looking forward to holidays in Cornwall ?

Synonymous Sat 26-May-18 23:09:29

Annie Our cherry blossom has gone too but it was really beautiful and I am hoping we may actually get some cherries this year. We have two morello cherry trees trained on a north facing fence and they have got some set fruit on them, more on one than the other. It has been a long held ambition to be able to make a cherry pudding from home grown fruit so you never know. Only one little cherry hung on to ripen last year but it was the first proper year as you are supposed to pick off the flowers the very first year following planting. My cousin helped me pick off all the flowers off those, and then the new apples and the pears last year - I thought she was going to cry! I felt like it too but the trees have grown very strongly and there is even more on them this year so hopefully we may have fruit coming out of our ears!
I love cross stitch and have done a few over the years but not been able to do it post stroke. I am going to keep trying but it is hard as my concentration just isn't there nowadays. What are you doing or is it a new one that you are starting? I have quite a big one that I haven't been able to finish but DD suggests I get a really tiny one to do before I go back to that one. She could have a point!
I am very happy today as our DD has arrived to stay for a few days during half term. Trying not to count down to when she goes again and to just relax and enjoy. So good for DH, he is grinning from ear to ear! wineroastchickensunshine

Anniebach Sun 27-May-18 10:23:51

Synon, how lovely to have your daughter visit, be good for you x

I really miss cross stitching, I just cannot watch tv without stitching. In the evenings I just play games on the iPad, boring.

I have done so many , always loved ‘All Our Yesterdays’ kits, but a lot of back stitching which I now find difficult because of low vision. The last work I completed was a Welsh sampler for younger daughter, ‘Cariad’ at the centre. Did two samplers for granddaughters, from Pooh Bear quotes,
“You are braver than you believe,etc”

I would do a small one to start again, when i was in a very dark place last winter I found a pattern on Etsy, I loved it. It It has BlueBells each side and at the centre “ In my garden I will dwell, with Dasies,Buttercups and Sweet Bluebells” ? it is so sweet. My three sisters are obsessed with housework, they always use to criticise me for putting my interests before dusting, so I stitched a small sampler for the hall “ a tidy house is a sign of an empty life” ? do try a small sampler , your daughter is right. You will get back to your larger work x

Synonymous Sun 27-May-18 13:47:27

Annie Love the "tidy house..." sampler. grin I hate dusting and am very blessed to have a lovely lass who comes every week to 'muck us out' so I tend to shut my eyes to it all. Our kitten makes more mess than we do as he has a big cardboard box,which he seems to love more than the cat tree which arrived in it, and he does everything in there. Hides himself and his toys, plays, bites holes in it and rips it to shreds and spreads the bits everywhere - and then we inevitably walk it everywhere! He also seems to have a new 'stash' somewhere in which he must have hidden all 5 of his foil balls because we cannot find them anywhere. DD has hunted on her hands and knees (which we can't do) and can't find them either and has given up for the moment. confused
As for the cross stitch I still have a Jo Verso book with tiny patterns suitable for cards etc so will have a look for something really simple.
Lovely sunshine again, hope you have some too. x .sunshine

Doodle Sun 27-May-18 19:17:37

annie I too have given up crosstitch due to poor eyesight so have taken up knitting instead. Just simple scarves or hats (give to charity when I have done them for all the family). Could you try that instead? X

Anniebach Sun 27-May-18 19:32:32

Doodle, my hands are badly twisted because of arthritis , it flared ferociously last winter . Must find something to do, not good just sitting doing nothing, so not use to it.

Thank you for the suggestion x

Doodle Sun 27-May-18 20:47:29

Oh annie I'm sorry. I have arthritis too but not bad yet just ache a bit.

Anniebach Sun 27-May-18 20:57:03

I am left handed and three fingers are bent into my palm , not helpful, I am trying to become right handed , difficult ?

Synonymous Sun 27-May-18 22:51:15

We should get together Annie as I am right handed! I have to say arthritis is a pain in every sense of the word, my immoveables are my thumbs and forefinger on both hands. I do a bit of simple knitting like that which has already been suggested. I use long needles which I hold under my arms and knit in a very 'original' manner! grin

Anniebach Mon 28-May-18 10:16:24

We should Synon, your left hand and my right hand we would be two handed ?

I have to cut right back on use of my iPad, this will be difficult, Siri has a problem with my accent ! And doesn’t seem able to spell Trewalchmai, Llanfrynach etc , can’t think why ?

Synonymous Mon 28-May-18 20:42:39

Spell it Annie? I can't even say those names! grin

Anniebach Mon 28-May-18 21:01:33

So much for voice recognition ?, my physiotherapist suggested voice recognition , she isn’t Welsh

Anniebach Mon 28-May-18 21:05:26

True last night Laugh cry and And Cathy

Trewalchmai. Llechfaen. Llanelli

good isn’t it ?

Synonymous Mon 28-May-18 23:01:51

Oh, my goodness that is brill! I always thought you said Llanelli as Chlanethli - but then I can't spell that either. grin I love to hear a Welsh lilt and as for the singing wow! FIL was drafted into a Welsh regiment and loved all that too.

Thinking about Siri our sat nav gives us the giggles with pronunciation too but then it is German made so we shouldn't be too surprised.

NfkDumpling Tue 29-May-18 09:31:40

When I was just 17 I went on a pony trekking holiday with a youth organisation. My first big adventure away from Norfolk! We camped in a field behind a pub in a place called Bwlch. I only ever learnt how to spell it! I had a wonderful time with a pony called Rainbow. It rained all week!

Anniebach Tue 29-May-18 10:32:17

Synon, so funny, the Welsh alphabet has L and LL, and C and CH, L is simply L, but LL even gets newsreaders mispronouncing , same with C and CH , really C is pronounced as K , no K in our alphabet ?

Nfk, there is a Bwlch just few miles from me, bet you had no problem with Bwl but the CH ?

When signposts were allowed to be in English and Welsh the Welsh Nationalists went around sawing off the English signs, caused problems for holiday makers and was unkind

Luckygirl Tue 29-May-18 16:05:33

We drove through Bwlch on Saturday on the way to our holiday in St Davids. I always feel one should say "pardon" after pronouncing it!!

NfkDumpling Tue 29-May-18 16:34:26

With a Norfolk accent I had a problem with all of it!

Anniebach Tue 29-May-18 16:53:31

Luckygirl , do you pronounce the CH as in belch ??