Gransnet forums

Chat

Sorry but I am so sad

(212 Posts)
Anniebach Tue 15-May-18 22:13:00

Elder granddaughter preparing to move to the West Country in June. Today the youngest, my precious little one viewed an apartment with her boyfriend 60 miles to the north. I am happy for them but selfishly unhappy for me. The first time in my life there will be no one to care for hands on. Helped with my three younger sisters and brother, then married and had my darling daughters, plus seven nephews and two nieces, now ? No one , first time in my life no family near me. I didn’t think the two granddaughters would leave here the same time. I will be so lost. Sorry to moan yet again.

Anniebach Thu 31-May-18 13:11:30

He is from Lincolnshire, my daughter is most certaintly Welsh, I think his problem is he wants life to be just him and my daughter , his offer of financial support is really for my daughter , no reason for her to want to come home more often . He wouldn’t be happy if I moved there. I have accepted it. And he is a Tory ?,

What is fen-ish Nfk? ?

Cross country is impossible , Tenby is lovely , town gets overcrowded in Summer but so much beautiful countryside. Hope you are able to have a holiday there .

oldbatty Thu 31-May-18 14:03:26

isnt " he doesnt like the Welsh" racism?

Anniebach Thu 31-May-18 14:14:59

I don’t think it is batty, perhaps because of years of Wales being disregarded as a country, if he were racist he wouldn’t have married a welsh girl ? his work takes him to many parts of the world, I have a photograph of him dining with sheiks and he wearing the same robes and head gear. He visits friends in Africa who run a animal reserve for endangered species.

oldbatty Thu 31-May-18 14:23:36

I'm not just saying this but I think its brilliant that Wales has hung onto its culture , heritage and language.

Anniebach Thu 31-May-18 14:48:35

Me too , but it has been a very long fight. I was so amused when working for Anglesey archives to learn how much of a fight every generation had. My g g grandparents lived in a village on the coast, a favourite pastime was , putting it politely , salvaging goods from sunken vessels,England sent English coast guards there, Welshmen not permitted to work as coast guards, the coast guards married local girls and the favourite pastime continued , suppose stopping you in laws would have caused problems ?. When trains arrived on the island only English men were employed , silly because they couldn’t speak Welsh and passengers couldn’t /wouldn’t speak English

NfkDumpling Thu 31-May-18 16:17:26

Fen-ish? The Fens. A large flat area mostly in Lincolnshire interspersed with tiny hamlets with very poor communication between them. Rumour has it that many inhabitants have webbed feet and look strangely alike. I’m sure there are hidden Welsh valleys that have similar peoples. (Although not with webbed feet obviously). Yes, I was being rude and I’m sure your SiL is not at all Fen-ish!

Anniebach Thu 31-May-18 16:26:34

So funny, wish I could forward it to my younger daughter , yes they bought an old farmhouse on the fens, no houses near, she loves the isolation, walks her four dogs across the fens every morning . Didn’t notice web feet , he was born in Lincoln so not a fen person, they chose the old farmhouse because it is isolated and has very large gardens ?

NfkDumpling Thu 31-May-18 16:37:56

I’m glad the Welsh are still Welsh. I remember going into that pub in Bwlch and the locals all starting to talk in Welsh. I thought it was great - that I’d finally managed to go Abroad!

The English Ruling Class do have a lot to answer for. And so do the rest of us for believing them and doing as they told us for so long. We carry the guilt. Why should the World and it’s mother follow what they dictated? The Welsh, Scots and Irish are all proud of who they are but us English are always apologising for being English. I think things are slowly changing and I do now sometimes feel proud of my Englishness. But I suppose that’s why when asked, I say I’m Norfolk born and bred. Other regions are specific too. We need an identity to be proud of.

NfkDumpling Thu 31-May-18 16:39:14

You do get a lot of fen for your money!! Lincoln is lovely, but a bit too steep in parts for my liking.

Anniebach Thu 31-May-18 18:04:56

Nfk, I think the English should be proud of being English, probably it isn’t guilt but the fact England didn’t have to battle for recognition as part of the U.K , we still hear of the Queen of England, and when there was a tv series of elderly celebs visiting India they often said - back in England not back in the U.K. but I think English people have suffered from such groups as the English defence league , so unfair for the majority of English to have their country linked to such a group. I was annoyed when the Welsh nationalist went too far but they didn’t get the media attention the EDL had. Be proud my English friend ?

That is suppose to be the English rose , ooops ?

NfkDumpling Thu 31-May-18 20:56:06

smile