Gransnet forums

Chat

"So" what's it all about?

(92 Posts)
sassenach512 Tue 15-May-18 22:24:37

I can't understand why so many people start a sentence with "so..." these days, I just don't get it at all, it drives me up the wall! whatever happened to "well..." at the start of a conversation?
Have I become a grumpy old bat (perish the thought, I'm only 60) or do other Grans feel the same?

oldbatty Wed 16-May-18 19:23:16

I hate the so thing and I hate get as in can I get a latte.

Oldwoman70 Wed 16-May-18 19:21:18

Heard something for the first time the other day (hope it's the last). When someone was told something unexpected he said "you're clowning me" instead of "your joking".

Wheniwasyourage Wed 16-May-18 18:42:19

What is it about North-Easts, lilypopbottle? In Aberdeen these questions to anyone, not just children, would be

You like that, do you?
You've got a doggy at home, have you?
You liked that, did you?

with the stress on 'do', 'have' and 'did' respectively. I would expect the questions to be 'You like that, don't you?' etc.

When I think about it, in Glasgow you hear the questions the way you have put them, with the double negative.

So many of these examples get my goat too, particularly 'so' at the beginning of sentences, less and fewer used wrongly and 'hubby' (which my MIL used to refer to my DH but only once!). grin

I love this kind of thread!

pollyperkins Wed 16-May-18 18:24:17

At this moment on time amuses me as do most of the things quoted. Something that does get me cross though is when they say 'really unique' on TV. Another one is using 'like' instead of 'as if'. For example ''it looks like it's going to rain' Like should only refer to a noun as in 'she looks like my sister' - not a verb. This is almost ubiquitous now and I expect no-one will use 'as if' in the future.
Another is confusing less and fewer. Packages now say things like 'with less calories' . NO. Fewer calories! !
Ok rant over.

formaq Wed 16-May-18 16:50:49

Warming up now ! Oh how I agree with Dogsmother - another is when people say "grab" instead of get/pick /up/have - it sounds so greedy and rude to me.

formaq Wed 16-May-18 16:46:43

My pet hates include people saying, "put some water in the bottom of a bucket" and/or "it's raining outside" etc.

Talk about stating the obvious !

dogsmother Wed 16-May-18 16:39:59

Ooh I have one that really bugs me.
Saying “Can I I get” instead of “Please may I have”
It’s been irritating me for a while, my pet peeve above all others, I don’t know why ?

Legs55 Wed 16-May-18 16:06:46

When we put our house on the market a few years ago two of the Estate Agents who came to value it referred to DH & myself as "you guys" Grrrr, they were both in their 30s!

My DD says "my bad", she does watch a lot of American tv. Another "Americanism" I hate is "do the math" no,no, it's "do the maths"hmm

grandtanteJE65 Wed 16-May-18 14:43:35

or to "such fun" or "so funny"?

Margs Wed 16-May-18 14:43:03

So......just don't get me started on the Aussie trend for 'Up-Speak', sassenach512!

We've been infested with that particular habit since the first episode of "Neighbours" way, way back.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 16-May-18 14:38:40

Any child who started a sentence with "Well" in my father's presence automatically received the reply, "Fairly, thank you, dear." So yes, well at the start of a sentence annoyed parents and teachers immensely when I was growing up. And I defy anyone to say that my use of "so" in the foregoing sentence was grammatically incorrect!

Those of us who said, "Well, well" were told "Add another one, dear. Three wells make a river!"

paperbackbutterfly Wed 16-May-18 14:33:27

'Like' is my pet hate. 'it was like too hot', no it was either too hot or it wasn't!

sarahellenwhitney Wed 16-May-18 14:06:37

Lilypops American tv Isn't that where most of these come from.?
I recently helped serve tea at our local old folks 'afternoon get together' club.
Average age 85, several in their nineties where a talk was to be given on forthcoming summer activities in the area..
The speaker commenced with 'listen up you guys'.
Needless to say the tea I had poured myself went down the wrong way.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 16-May-18 13:46:14

Chewbacca
Why does everything have to start with 'like'?
Watching tv news where a young man was interviewed on his sporting achievements ie' like when I kicked the ball not 'when I kicked the ball ' I began to count the 'likes'.
I gave up counting and went to put the kettle on in my kitchen along the hall. He was still 'liking' when I returned to the tv.

Witzend Wed 16-May-18 13:34:33

Amazing - except when something really is amazing.
It's so over-used.

Lilypops Wed 16-May-18 13:30:31

Fantastic!! When asked for my name , or, do you know your post code? Yes I say , fantastic,, I am not stupid I feel like saying, Also. When you ask how are you,? Am good, where did that come from , why don't they say ,,fine thanks ,

Katek Wed 16-May-18 12:46:19

My current pet hate is ‘so fun’. What happened to the ‘much’?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 16-May-18 12:43:14

It drives me up the wall too. On a quiz programme t'other day the conversation was a bit like this:
'What do you do up in Northern Town?'
'So, I'm doing a PHD in special subject.'
'What do you do in your spare time?'
'So, I collect teddy bears.'
Ugh! Maybe throttling would be going too far.

MamaCaz Wed 16-May-18 12:43:09

Starting a sentence with 'so' or 'well' can actually serve a useful purpose - it gives a hard-of-hearing listener time to mentally tune in to what is about to be said, making them much more likely to hear/understand what follows it. I know that is not why the people use it, but i think it's still worth bearing in mind before totally condemning this practice.

Bathsheba Wed 16-May-18 12:38:48

Check out the opening line of the late Seamus Heaney's translation of BEOWULF - starts with 'So...'

So it does lovebooks. I'm not about to argue with such a literary giant as he. But I doubt it'll stop all the naysayers, grin

EthelJ Wed 16-May-18 12:27:58

I don't mind most of the modern usage of words or phrases as language evolves. But I really hate it when people say ' I'm not being funny but ...'then they usually then go on to say something offensive or critical. How does saying I'm not being funny make it any less so? smile

sunseeker Wed 16-May-18 12:27:57

Yes, another who dislikes "hubby" - for some reason I picture a woman with tightly permed hair, wearing a pinny in the kitchen cooking for her man!

I am sure GNs who use this term to describe their husband are nothing like that

JanaNana Wed 16-May-18 12:21:43

I to dislike the term "hubby" it reminds me of a woman I used to work with who constantly referred to "her hubby" "your hubby" everyone's "hubby". I suppose it's a friendly abbreviation but not for me. I also get exasperated by some of today,s modern ways of speaking like a lot of the examples given on this thread, but equally by some people who you meet who use Latin words such as... ergo ( for therefore ) and trying to impress the average person with these words. Some Latin quotations are beautiful and I,m not meaning those but people who decide to throw in these random words for effect.

lizzypopbottle Wed 16-May-18 12:02:13

America started the hated 'Laters' (Lay-durrs) when saying goodbye. People here say it, slavishly, but with an English accent.

The worst one for me is the North East's (Northumberland anyway) double negative when talking down to children, usually in a baby voice:

You like that, don't you not?
You've got a doggy at home, haven't you not?
You liked that, didn't you not?
And so on.....

I'm not from the North East originally but I do love it here! ?

Milly Wed 16-May-18 12:01:34

I'm always amused by "then he turned round and said" which is then answered with "so I turned round and told him" These people must get quite dizzy!