Gransnet forums

Chat

"So" what's it all about?

(91 Posts)
travelsafar Wed 16-May-18 08:05:20

I can't stand the way young women talk with a croaky voice. It's called 'vocal fry' i hate it and turn off the radio or silence the TV when it happens.
Also can not stand what i call, 'little girl voices', on grown women.

Oldwoman70 Wed 16-May-18 07:52:44

Thought I was the only one who disliked "hubby" but as Bellanonna says, it is a personal dislike. Live and let live.

Panache Wed 16-May-18 07:50:08

I am not too bothered by these usages of certain words however hearing young ones speak rather as Chewbacca says does rather rub me up the wrong way...........but yes I guess its a sign of the times.
I am trying not to show the full extent of my years I guess!

Bellanonna Wed 16-May-18 07:46:48

Before SueDomin wrote her post I was going to make a comment on hubby. Really dislike it but that’s just a personal dislike. “ So “ doesn’t bother me at all. There are all kinds of quirks of speech that come and go, and “So” seems pretty innocuous. “ At the end of the day “ was around for a long time but I hear it less now. Expressions come and go, don’t they?

Grandma70s Wed 16-May-18 07:14:49

I am not very bothered by “So...”. It isn’t very different from “Well....”.

I do agree with SueDonim about hubby. I didn’t know anyone really used it until I started reading posts online. I’ve never heard it in real life.

OldMeg Wed 16-May-18 07:13:18

Haven’t you anything more important to worry about?

Gerispringer Wed 16-May-18 07:01:53

I made an appointment with someone ( a young woman I hadn’t met) through a text message . Her reply:
“Seeya tomoz hun”
I suppose she was being friendly ...

seacliff Wed 16-May-18 06:55:37

Drives me mad. I want to yell "So ...so what?" at them. Only seems to have been around for the last 10 years or so. www.spectator.co.uk/2011/11/its-so-annoying/

I'm not mad on "hun" either.

I am a grumpy old (ish) woman today, feel entitled to be, as I have a tooth infection and painful swollen mouth. Off to take more pain killers.

BlueBelle Wed 16-May-18 05:35:10

I don’t mind rolling with the times but the ‘So’ has been truely irritating me for a few years now it only seems to be used by the more posh or accedemic people The less acedemic are the ‘hun’ and ‘babe’ brigade which are equally annoying and the ‘basically’ or ‘ obviously’ that appear at least 20 times every sentence
How are you to day? ‘Well obviously I m ok because obviously if I was not ok you would obviously know because obviously I d be looking really grumpy and obviously I m not looking grumpy so obviously you can see I m ok’ grrrrr

sassenach512 Wed 16-May-18 00:33:14

Absolutely SueDonim we have to roll with the times I suppose, each generation adds their take on our language.
Thanks Fourormore, I was beginning to think I was turning into my granny! grin

stella1949 Tue 15-May-18 23:58:21

I hate " No...yeah" or just for a change " Yeah...no "at the start of a sentence. I want to scream at them " which is it - yes or no ? " . The millenials seem to say this a lot - it sound so wish you washy !

SueDonim Tue 15-May-18 23:16:16

Language is a living thing, it's bound to change as time goes on, otherwise we'd still be thee-ing and thou-ing each other. One of my personal language bugbears is hubby, which I think is awful but I wouldn't want to stop Fourormore from using it! grin Live and let live, I reckon.

Bathsheba Tue 15-May-18 22:52:32

whatever happened to "well..." at the start of a conversation?

No doubt that usage irritated a whole bunch of people back in whichever year it became popular. Using 'well' or 'so' at the beginning of a sentence is just a filler, sometimes a means of indicating that you are about to answer the question but you perhaps haven't quite formulated your response yet. They both serve a similar function - why be irritated by one and not the other? confused

Chewbacca Tue 15-May-18 22:43:59

"And, you know, we went into town and there was, you know, a guy standing on the corner and he was like, you know, just standing there. Like just staring! You know? "

Aaaarrgghh!

fourormore Tue 15-May-18 22:35:57

You're not a grumpy old bat sassenach - we have had several threads on these weird sayings recently!
Like you hubby and I get irritated with the "So ...."
Can't think when that started or why!
Other irritations are the 'didn't he/she?'
for example "I went to town didn't I?"
or "She said ..... didn't she?"
And don't get me started on "You know" grin
What a tapestry of language life is these days!

sassenach512 Tue 15-May-18 22:24:37

I can't understand why so many people start a sentence with "so..." these days, I just don't get it at all, it drives me up the wall! whatever happened to "well..." at the start of a conversation?
Have I become a grumpy old bat (perish the thought, I'm only 60) or do other Grans feel the same?