Gransnet forums

Chat

"So" what's it all about?

(92 Posts)
sassenach512 Tue 15-May-18 22:24:37

I can't understand why so many people start a sentence with "so..." these days, I just don't get it at all, it drives me up the wall! whatever happened to "well..." at the start of a conversation?
Have I become a grumpy old bat (perish the thought, I'm only 60) or do other Grans feel the same?

HannahLoisLuke Wed 16-May-18 21:56:18

Oh Grannybags you beat me to it! So he turned round and said, and then I turned round and said to him! Haven't actually heard that for quite a while thank goodness.

lemongrove Wed 16-May-18 22:13:33

Business speak is annoying as well, remember roll out?
The latest thing is cascade, as in ‘now we must cascade this to the members’ this was actually in a WI letter recently.

toscalily Wed 16-May-18 23:15:37

lemongrove, that was after the 'blue sky thinking' grin

Yorkshiregel Thu 17-May-18 08:09:19

I hate:
You guys
Blue sky thinking
Joined up conversation
Using 'large' wrongly when they mean 'big' or 'huge'
People using 'whom' when they should use 'who'.
'We will have to have a 'conversation' about this'.....
'Yes, no'
'Unsurprisingly' when they mean 'not surprising'

Call me old fashioned but I do not like Americanisms at all. Also my blood boils when people interrupt others because they think what they want to say is more important. Do not get me started on 'Sorry, I must take this call' when you are talking to someone. Am I that boring?

Yorkshiregel Thu 17-May-18 08:23:09

travelsafar Me too! Little girl voices drive me mad. It is an American thing I think. It seems to be getting worse. I cannot understand what American women say most of the time. Do they think men like bimbos or something? So affected. We would rather watch a Swedish/ Danish/ Norwegian film. OK we cannot understand the language completely but the subs help! :-) Amazing how many words you can understand though. Perhaps it is the Viking in me? They invaded Yorkshire didn't they?

Yorkshiregel Thu 17-May-18 08:35:52

GabriellaG talking about cooking, why do people say 'My flour', 'my pastry', 'my eggs'. As in 'So, my flour, my eggs and my milk go in to this bowl and I mix them together until smooth, then I roll them on my pastry board until I get the thickness I want.' ? Do I then cook 'my pies' and eat them myself because they are mine?

Bathsheba Thu 17-May-18 10:44:03

Although I'm not really easily irritated by a lot of the sayings mentioned here, I do so agree with you Yorkshiregel on the misuse of 'whom'. I've come across people who overuse this word, substituting it for 'who' at almost every opportunity. I find that grates with me more than 'who' being used when it should be whom grin

Gaggi3 Thu 17-May-18 12:43:05

I agree, Grannybags, about the turning round thing. Some people put it in before every comment by someone, and I have this ridiculous vision of whirling Dervishes trying to have a conversation.

fourormore Thu 17-May-18 19:10:26

My late Mum used to 'turn around ...' which always made us smile bless her!
Another phrase she often used which conjured up a wonderful picture in our heads was .... "I poked my nose out to see if it was raining!"
A real classic memory we have - though not really a saying was when she announced one day - "I unlocked the door then lay on my bed with my legs up waiting for the milkman" If only she realised the innuendo grin

Yorkshiregel Fri 18-May-18 09:14:16

Made my day! We don't realise what we are saying sometimes do we.

pollyperkins Fri 18-May-18 09:30:15

Ha ha fourormore!! My grandmother once told my parents she couldn't go somewhere as she was 'in bed with the doctor'!

Nvella Sat 19-May-18 08:05:28

I hate “play date” and “date night” and “hun” sets my teeth on edge!

hildajenniJ Sat 19-May-18 17:24:47

As wedding fever took hold, I was irritated by the number of "invites" people were getting. I kept shouting at the TV, "invitations".
I know that it's quite acceptable to use invite as a noun, but it really grated on me.

castle Sun 20-May-18 13:57:02

Everyone has started to say “To be honest”! I have started to say it? when I say it to my husband I then say “because I usually tell a lie!” And I am someone who never tells lies, only we white ones so I don’t upset people.

sassenach512 Sun 20-May-18 18:38:17

yes Castle, it's like they didn't intend to give an honest statement to start with then decided they would!

sodapop Sun 20-May-18 21:33:45

I have heard people say they are in bed under the doctor polly ?