Gransnet forums

Chat

I'm losing my job and I feel lost.

(80 Posts)
HotTamales Wed 16-May-18 18:53:20

I'm new here but very much a regular on MN.

As I had my children when I was young I am a young Grandma in my mid 40s.

I'm about to lose my job, although my employers can't say this ultimately, it's because I'm 'old' and expensive.
It's the same all over my type of career, I would like to begin another career but I have no idea where to start.

I feel bad at the loss of income, DH is fantastic but I feel like I'm letting him down and I feel lost and I've no idea what I could do next.

Our adult DCs are young, successful and gorgeous, obviously this is excellent but it also reminds me how old I am.
They are full of energy and optimism whereas I feel dragged down by age and responsibility.

Any useful advice for getting my mojo back would be appreciated.

HotTamales Tue 22-May-18 11:59:21

To be fair to the rep jen he argued my case well as their case has some <ahem> twists and turns.
The rep did argue that their way of dealing with things had been unacceptable all along, this was minuted but of course, they didn’t concede this.

I can’t go into greater detail as it would be too identifying but it’s a bloody mess.

MawBroon Tue 22-May-18 12:12:06

I do sympathise but ind it hard to accept that you are just lying down and rolling over.
A decent payout would perhaps tide you over until the next job, but I am frustrated (on your behalf) at your apparent passive acceptance.

HotTamales Tue 22-May-18 12:28:09

Again, Maw I’m not passively accepting it but to give more detail would out me.

I know for sure that they won’t offer a payout willingly.

annep Tue 29-May-18 12:18:38

HotTamales I wish you well. Sometimes unions don't get the result you hope for. But hopefully this time next year you will have a happy story to tell and it will all be behind you. ?