Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's comfortable, cosy, friendly kitchen...

(1000 Posts)
soop Sun 20-May-18 14:53:36

Welcome.

Here we are again
Happy as can be
All good pals and jolly good company.
Never mind the weather
Never mind the rain
As long as we're together...
woops we go again.
grin sunshine flowers cupcake wine brew

Doodle Sun 20-May-18 16:01:46

Hello soop. I made sure I was on the lookout for a new kitchen as I could just do with some champers this afternoon (got in the mood yesterday watching the wedding). I have left some warm scones and jam and cream on the worktop and I am now going to sit outside the kitchen door and soak up some sunshine ☀️

soop Sun 20-May-18 16:30:00

I shall join you, Doodle as we are short on the sunshine hereabouts. I shall of course taste your tempting warm scones and jam and cream. Boy! I so wish that I could.

Doodle Sun 20-May-18 18:03:40

Just popped back to the old kitchen to see what I had missed.
Galen your poor arm ??. It looks so painful. Are you sure you are ok to go on your cruise.

ffinnochio Sun 20-May-18 18:04:17

Been waiting for the new thread to kick off, so I feel I can slide in afresh so to speak. Not a great natterer, as you know soop, but follow most days.
Been to the beach today, so have bought beautiful shells to sit in the kitchen window.
It’s good to be back in England!

Doodle Sun 20-May-18 18:04:44

I could always step in at the last minute if you'd like me to go instead -#everhopeful

callgirl1 Sun 20-May-18 20:08:25

Ouch Galen, that does look very sore, take care not to slip and aggravate things on your cruise. When do you go?
I love the new kitchen Soop, but I particularly love that view, those picture windows were a great idea.
Earlier this afternoon, Mia wanted to go out, so I opened the back door and she walked out, then stopped and stared in the direction of the blue recycling bin, a couple of feet from the door. Suddenly she made a fast dive towards the bin, I thought I was going to have to rescue another mouse or bird, but no, a large fat rat ran out and across the yard and through the gate, closely followed by Mia. I don`t know if she caught it, but I`m mightily glad the door wasn`t open earlier!

JaneD3 Sun 20-May-18 20:52:07

Imagine the scene -
A chicken has escaped from the run. It is being chased by a very excited puppy which is, in turn being chased by a loud and excited four year old. The whole lot are being followed by Nanny who is showing a surprising turn of speed. This is the third chicken the puppy has caught today - he is a quick learner - more than you can say for the chickens.

NanaandGrampy Sun 20-May-18 22:23:33

Afternoon all!

I have that picture in my head now Jane !!

I’ll have to go and find the old kitchen because I missed the end too!

News from Home is that Sam has a poorly eye again but they are bathing it , so hoping for an improvement or it’s off to the vet for them.

Sam has been introduced to Nibbles Sonic the new Bunny , both were surprised to meet the other ! Cooper bought Nibble Sonic ( let’s call him NS) a ball and is heartily disappointed that the bunny has not worked out how to play catch yet !! Luckily Sam has picked up the challenge and is proving to be the David Beckham of the dog world.

Hope all is well in the kitchen....I’m missing the cake !

lemongrove Sun 20-May-18 22:44:03

Jane grin I can certainly picture the scene.

A sparkling new kitchen, very nice, and I love the black marble worktops.

I am on holiday and have already eaten two cream teas so far blush so will leave those scones for others.

JaneD3 Sun 20-May-18 23:11:12

I deserve scones! Just don’t tell * Panache*.

kittylester Mon 21-May-18 06:35:43

Phew, I've managed to find you all at last!

jane, you could sell tickets for that show!

Galen, when do you go? Please be very careful.

I hate rats call - they terrify me! shock

I like new kitchens, there is not so much catching up to do. I've got a busy week so please all sit down as much as possible!

Panache Mon 21-May-18 09:35:12

I am now in a tamping bad mood.................having just lost the first decent "script" of the day.Ballyhoo I say!!!!I don`t do swearing!

Just as I was going to come on down hard on a certain Jane... you will NOT get away with anything with me shall I tell you,furthermore I strictly forbid you any jam or cream............ if you MUST add a few pounds to your figure by munching a scone!

Whilst I must say you gave me quite a chuckle with your tale, so of course, I forgive you all misdeeds!

Then Callgirl you go and frighten the living daylights out of me.I had to have a double take and yes, there it was in words of black........a rat had infiltrated your kitchen...........and yes my hair is still standing on end!! How I hate those creatures.As a child of some 3 years of age I opened a cupboard door and had a rat that looked as big as a cat to a small tot........jump right out at me........I have been scared ever since.Yes folk keep reminding me they live all around us...........but actually meeting one face to face is beyond the pale!!!
I hope Mia is big and strong and managed to do “the honours”.
When and where will the burial take place??

Nice to meet you Galen,so sorry to hear of your affliction and I wish you well.
We seem to be going down one after the other here.
It must be the hole in the ozone layer again!

Then more new faces to get to know........hello Ffin and Doodle.I am sure our paths will cross again as we congregate and make ourselves comfy in Soop`s large friendly kitchen.
I personally love the big windows which gives me a perfect viewing platform of whatever is happening..........inside or out.

As for the cakes,since I am NOT on a diet, I can keep my eye on you naughty but nice folk who tend to “pig out”

That would not include you Nanaandgrampy would it?

Lemongrove, you of course have special dispensation... being on holiday ......although obviously you are NOT watching your waistline if you have already devoured 2 cream teas!!!
You are truly making others jealous you know!

So Kitty glad you found us, because we were just about sending out a search party!!Hope today is another productive day for you.

I am sure Soop is making her way here as I write......... so without further ado I think its time I added my best wishes to you all...........have a great day and even better week.

cornergran Mon 21-May-18 12:03:56

A very good morning to the new kitchen .

Blimey galen, you do things properly. Please do heed others and be careful now. We don’t bounce as we get older.

Rats? Can I join the hate brigade? It’s not too strong a word for my reaction. I grew up on a farm where rats seemed to be a daily trial. Developed a major fear of them. Mia has done a stirling job callgirl, if you see another it might be a good idea to get the ‘rat man’ to have a look, perhaps see where they are coming from.

Good to hear from you n&g, you sound to be having a good time. Sam is doing a stirling job, even with a poorly eye.

Missing posts are a major pain panache, infuriates me too,

We’re minding Littlest today, so far we have walked what feels like miles, watched a tractor cutting grass, had the park all to ourselves and are now blessedly sitting down while he assembles his cars for a doubtlessly complex game. Wouldn’t miss it but roll on lunchtime smile

Heard that our poorly friend is poorly again, so we’ll be doing a bit of travelling again to help out. Ho, hum. Not what any of us wanted but can’t leave her to struggle.

Looks like I need to sort some lunch, apparently all this activity makes for hunger. Any chance of a nap then? Well, for me if not Littlest grin.

soop Mon 21-May-18 12:49:20

I have a teeny wee confession. Are you sitting comfortably? Then I shall begin...

Yesterday, for a moment or two, I wondered whether the kitchen may have outlived it's purpose. My heart sank. You lot make a huge difference to my day. I was mighty pleased to log on to discover a number of welcome visitors. Thank you. flowers sunshine

Welcome back dear ffinochio. Please pop in for a chat as often as you wish. I love sea shells. They are like works of art and cost nothing to collect.

callgirl1 We said hello to David as we motored past the camp site. It's very busy right now.
Mia was brave to chase after a rat. You most certainly do not want such a creature in your home. Well done, Mia.

JaneD3 Your puppy has spirit. He's a pointer...he's programmed to chase and capture. Bless his paddy paws.

N&G The tale of Sam and NS made me chuckle. I hope that Sam's eye infection is responding to treatment.

lemongrove Holidays and cream teas...I'm a tad envious. However, please feel free to enjoy. You deserve it.

Good morning kitty...asking this lot to sit down and conserve their energy is like asking a four year old to walk, not run, and talk quietly. Impossible! grin

Panache Thank you for yet another amusing post. Were you a scribe in an earlier life?
Although I've never met a rat, as a child, a boy chased me with a huge spider as big as a saucer trapped in its web on the end of a long stick. That memory still has the power to raise the hairs on my arms.

corner A gold star for you. Enjoy every moment of taking care of littlest...memories in the making. Precious times.

cornergran Mon 21-May-18 13:14:45

Breaking news. Littlest is asleep. Yawn, yawn - so will I be very soon grin.

annodomini Mon 21-May-18 13:38:18

soop, don't you dare to close the kitchen! It's an oasis of bonhomie. Even on days when I can't think of anything to contribute, I still seek it out and lurk quietly in the corner. A lovely day again today but the air is full of pollen. I need to plant my annuals in pots, so will see if a mask (bought some on Ebay) will protect me and hope none of the neighbours are looking.
Ffin, are you back in England for good? You have brought French weather back with you!

MawBroon Mon 21-May-18 13:42:19

Oh dear soop, I wonder what occasioned the wobble about the kitchen?
It is the one place where we can all be quite open and either share the good, or fling ourselves on everybody’s mercy for the bad things in our lives. There is always a shoulder, wise counsel and did I mention cake?
I may not post every day (but usually do) but without the kitchen which you so sensitively intuited needed setting up, I would have abandoned GN long ago.
Pic attached of older DGS “iFlying” on Saturday. The younger one rarely looked our way and although he pronounced it “Awesome” after his second “flight “ didn’t look up much or smile during it ?
My heart rate is gradually recovering thank you!

NanaandGrampy Mon 21-May-18 13:51:07

Morning all !

Cake? Moi? Panache........ maaaaybe ! ??? quite frankly, the are days when even thinking about watching my ever expanding waistline is just a step too far.... a little of what you fancy I reckon is the way forward !

Sorry to hear you are in the wars Galen ! Hope you heal quickly.

I think the kitchen will always have a place Soop . If you enjoy the cut and thrust out there that’s fine, but I like the mellow friendship I find here. Long may it last I say.

I hope Ann is doing well and I notice Charleygirl is missing too so hope she is doing ok. I do hate it when people are away incase something is wrong or they are poorly.

The weather continues to dessert us on our hols. It’s very warm but grey and overcast and I came for the sunshine , so instead have been doing quite some considerable retail therapy. Grampy is praying for sun!!

Gagagran Mon 21-May-18 14:03:00

I think the cake store needs replenishing in this new kitchen so I have been busy virtual baking this morning and come bearing:

Lemon drizzle cake
Carrot cake
Brownies and
Ginger biscuits.

Hope there is something to suit everyone there!

I am also a rat hater. When I was about 12 I saw a huge sewer rat in a cage in a zoo (it was an exhibit) and it scared the living daylights out of me so I have hated rodents of all kinds ever since. I'd get some poison down round your bins Callgirl and keep Mia indoors. Ugh - shuddering just thinking about it!

Sorry about the weather N&G - it's nice here but disappointing for you I know. Enjoy the shopping!

ffinnochio Mon 21-May-18 14:24:04

Thank you for the welcome back soop. I thought you’d appreciate the sea shells! As I no longer make cakes, virtual or otherwise, the kitchen will have to make do with arty twigs and suchlike.

anno - Yes, back for good after 15 years. Tried my best to bring the good weather back .. reasonably successful so far sunshine. All I need now is to move into our new home after months of no fixed address. Not long now ..

It’s brilliant to be closer to some of the grandchildren.

soop Mon 21-May-18 14:38:11

Thank you for putting my mind at rest. I would never wish to lose you lot you keep me sane grin

Gaga I shall sample one of each. I have a liking for cake. The pal who hosted a wee wedding party at her home on Saturday produced cake made with the same ingredients as the Royal wedding cake. It was heavenly. My waistband is a trifle tight. Can't think why. wink

ffinochio As you say...not long now. You are on the home straight with an end in view. Your grandchildren will LOVE having you back.

soop Mon 21-May-18 14:43:00

Maw That is a fabulous image. The ear to ear grin says it all.
My youngest son is about to embark on a hike/paraglide from one side of a distant mountain range to the other. It will take some time. He and his pal belong to a paragliding club. I do not fret. He is doing what he was meant to do - enjoying challenges.

soop Mon 21-May-18 14:48:52

I've just checked...my son and his mate will be vol-biv (can't think what that stands for) across the Pyrenees from the Atlantic to the Med. Yo!

JaneD3 Mon 21-May-18 15:23:11

Tears of frustration! The workmen who did our slabs left mess on the road, including fencing nails. Of course, there is one in one of my newish tyres - slow puncture. Went to get it fixed and I had the wheel nut key in my hand. Tyre out of stock, went back this afternoon and cannot find the key. Searched the car, handbag, Tesco car park. Not been anywhere else. I am sure it was on the reception desk at the tyre place but they deny it. Up to 10 days to replace it. ???

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion