Gransnet forums

Chat

The sounds of Summer!

(56 Posts)
phoenix Sun 20-May-18 15:00:02

Ah, Summer, it feels like it's finally here!

Looking forward to sitting in the garden, with a glass of something, wine (if it's fizzy, Mr P refers to it as a "glass of something restorative" grin) listening to the sounds that only this time of the year seem to bring.

The gentle buzz of the bees as they forage for nectar among the flowers, the ewes in the field at the bottom of the garden, calling to their wayward lambs, even the monotonous call of the collared doves, almost drowning out the melodious songs of the other garden birds. Sometimes even the quintessentially English sound of leather on willow.

But instead, what do we get?

Power washers, power tools, lawnmowers and the worst of all, bloody strimmers!

I know that we have to make the most of good weather, to get those jobs done that just can't be achieved when it's raining, but on some days it seems relentless.

I have a particular hatred of strimmers, probably because knobheadmy ex husband liked to do the whole of the paddock with a strimmer, rather than a mower. (Stripped to the waist of course, I think he saw himself as a modern day Ross Poldark, but with an updated version of a scythe!)

phoenix Tue 22-May-18 23:34:03

Love your question oldbatty smile

Juggernaut Mon 28-May-18 19:12:30

oldbatty
The 'fact' may be significant to those with teeny tiny brains!
To the normal folk amongst us, it has no significance at all smile

GrannyGravy13 Mon 28-May-18 19:42:43

Unfortunately we have scheduled building work both inside and out from mid-August until October/November. Whilst I appreciate the birds and peace and quiet, I try to be mindful that jobs have to be done. As a Granny of 6 (5 of whom we have contact with) (3 of which we have on a regular basis) I ask them to be respectful of my neighbours and get them out of the hot tub by 8pm. I do have exceptional neighbours one side, the other side, well the least said the better.

Did have a good old grumble to myself on Saturday morning when someone was using a petrol hedge trimmer 6.30am, very antisocial in my opinion.

Unless you live in the middle of nowhere I think you just have to be very patient and try to remember all the times over the years when you have been the 'noisy neighbour'.

Nothin will stop me enjoying the sounds and smells of summer.

Daynoh Tue 14-Jan-20 08:27:11

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

NanTheWiser Tue 14-Jan-20 12:47:25

Reported