Gransnet forums

Chat

Have we done the right thing by moving?

(89 Posts)
Judithc2 Sun 10-Jun-18 09:48:30

Moved from busy vibrant 'young' area to the country. We now find out the road we're on is a lot busier than anticipated. Heavy agriculteral vehicles rumble past far to frequently, crows and sheep wake us up at 3.30 and the flies!! We're concentrating on positives - views and a beautiful garden.

merlotgran Sun 10-Jun-18 13:32:40

Many a night I've drifted off to the gentle thrum of an irrigation pump situated in the corner of the field at the back of our house. I can't think of any agricultural machinery noises I dislike, even hedge cutters are preferable to somebody else's garden strimmer!

I lived by a busy main road many years ago and the traffic nearly drove me nuts. Give me countryside noise any time.

Telly Sun 10-Jun-18 13:57:44

We live in a rural area and love it. Nothing is ideal and you will adapt to the different environment. Nearly bought a house with horses at the bottom of the garden. Stood there admiring them, ended up getting buzzed by horse flies! Not an ideal world and there are always compromises.

Telly Sun 10-Jun-18 14:00:40

You can buy packets of 32 from behind the counter at Boots, you can buy 2 packs that that's 64 at a time. I would stock up when you get the chance, perhaps ask a friend to buy them when they are the chemist.

Moocow Sun 10-Jun-18 15:00:46

Thank you seacliff that looks like exactly the type I've been searching for. (I hope that's a random picture otherwise if it's your own house I'm quite envious as I love stone houses!)

Judithc2 On the subject of elder, mother nature is very good at providing natural ways to solve problems so maybe you could look into solutions for smelly times like growing scented roses and other scented flowers at the best spots for you to benefit from?

Oopsadaisy53 Sun 10-Jun-18 19:29:38

Telly packets of what?

Belgravian Sun 10-Jun-18 19:34:46

Today 19:29 Oopsadaisy53

Telly packets of what?

I think she was on the wrong thread and was meant to be on the Paracetamol one! grin

Telly Sun 10-Jun-18 19:44:53

packets of
Paracetemol - wrong post!

Jalima1108 Sun 10-Jun-18 19:46:43

Telly grin
thanks for the smile

cornergran Sun 10-Jun-18 20:07:36

If it’s a very new house move don’t forget it takes time to adjust to any change judith, even ones we choose. Transitions are never easy, I imagine you have fond memories of your previous home, give your new one time, as you adjust it will seem different.

paddyann Sun 10-Jun-18 20:22:13

we had a case loocallly of a couple who moved up from London to a beautiful glen.They complained about the cockerel at the nextdoor farm waking them every day.They even took it to court to try to get the bird destroyed.
Thankfully the sheriff was a sensible man who told them cockerels had lived in that area much longer than Londoners and they had to either get used to it ,buy earplugs or move on.
Thankfully these "white settler" types are quite rare in the area although we do get some who insist on No Trespassing signs ...Seems they dont do homework there is NO law of trespass in Scotland .

Jalima1108 Sun 10-Jun-18 20:24:09

the cockerel - and the church bells - and the sheep bleating - and the muck spreading grin
It's certainly not that peaceful in the countryside!

Luckygirl Sun 10-Jun-18 21:00:45

I have just been sitting outside and listening to a cuckoo in the wood behind our garden and a song thrush (wonderful!) on the roof of our neighbour's house. And, by my standards this new home feels a bit suburban (just 5 miles from the town) compared to the middle-of-nowhere we had to move from for health reasons.

OP I think you should give it a bit of time. Some people feel really themselves in the country (that would be me!) and others need cafes, theatres, buses (!?) etc around them.

Enjoy your beautiful views and lovely garden; and see if you can get used to the inevitable sounds and smells of the countryside.

Good luck!

MargaretX Sun 10-Jun-18 21:14:18

We live quite urban but there is one working farm near by. On the first sunny afternoon , warm enough to sit outside, the farmer has to cut his own firewood with a chain saw.
Then they have building projects and although they no longer have cows he has the land to grow feed for other farmers and the muck spreading starts.
On the other hand he could sell his land as it is designated building land but he and his son want to stay. Their family have farmed there for 200 years. But that is somethng you have to watch out for when buying a property in the country. You have no right to a view.

Your estate agent kept quiet about a few things and you could still sell up again and move back if it is really too bad.

hildajenniJ Mon 11-Jun-18 00:23:38

We live right on the edge of a small market town. We have fields behind our house in which there lives a donkey and two ponies. The dinky sounds like rusty hinges when he starts braying! There are sheep and cows in the fields at the bottom of the hill. The birds start to sing at about 3 am, and the wood pigeons coo from daybreak. I'm not far from a busy A road and hear the noise from the traffic.
I love it here. I am happy. I wouldn't change a thing.
I hope you soon get used to the sounds of the country judith

NfkDumpling Mon 11-Jun-18 06:41:55

Have a look at Tectake striped roller blinds. They adjust so you can either see out through them or close completely at night.

Sheep do attract flies, but when they get move on the flies will go with them. The dawn chorus is one of the wonders of the countryside, but if you’re close to a rookery I’m afraid you will have noisy neighbours. We have one near us and their antics are fascinating. Summer in the countryside is a noisy time. Cows being separated from their calves, combines running late into the night, sugar beet lorries on peace work racing through narrow lanes to the beet factory, lorries and chain saws taking out pines in the nearby plantation..... And it’ll soon be time for the shooting season, and the foxes mating..... The countryside is a food factory and a busy place, but it changes with the seasons. It’s worth giving it time.

PamelaJ1 Mon 11-Jun-18 06:52:32

We live in a village that isn’t too far from a small market town. There is a bus stop round the corner so if I can’t walk to that I can’t walk anywhere.
I was having a smile to myself on Saturday morning- I was strimming , DH was in the shed making a table, so using his machines. We have someone in now to help with the hedges, he was busy using the hedge cutter. R, next door was using some sort of equipment, C. Across the road was mowing her lawn.
The quiet of the country! Still we’d all finished by lunchtime and peace reigned again.

PamelaJ1 Mon 11-Jun-18 06:54:31

I was getting a bit excited about your blinds seacliff till I saw the photo.
Your windows open inwards. ? Mine don’t.

OldMeg Mon 11-Jun-18 07:12:25

I’ve lived all over. When in the countryside we lived next door to a pig farm once. The noise at feeding time! And the smell when the farmer opened the windows to vent! Not to mention the flies. But we got used to it and enjoyed our own 10 acres and our horses.

Another time we lived near a busy railway line and after a while didn’t notice the noise.

When we lived by the sea our cellar used to flood at high tide and sometimes the road outside.

Now we live within walking distance of a small market town and love that too.

My point is, you’ll learn to dismiss the country noises, find a way to cope with flies and tune out the tractors. Enjoy your new home.

Icyalittle Mon 11-Jun-18 09:41:00

Judith wherever you move, whatever your surroundings, it takes time to acclimatise. The birds all stop singing in September, then by next Spring you will be settled and won’t notice. Likewise, this is a busy tractor time of year. It will get better and there are so many advantages, honest. ?

ReadyMeals Mon 11-Jun-18 09:42:58

You hear so many people mistakenly thinking "the countryside" is peaceful. In fact it's one of our few remaining industries, and ploughs are no longer pulled by oxen gently lowing.

allule Mon 11-Jun-18 09:52:08

We had problems with a neighbour's invasive Bengal cat, and bought window screening from flatcats, and got our local double glazing firm to fit screen doors so that we could have the patio doors open.
They are black, and virtually invisible...don't affect the view at all. They keep out both the cat and all the flying insects, and we can enjoy this lovely weather.I
Pricey, but worth every penny

Gagagran Mon 11-Jun-18 09:54:36

We moved to the edge of a small town/large village in 2012 with a glorious open view of fields to the front. We saw deer and birds flying up from the coast, half a mile away, to feed. Lots of garden birds and even a fox now and then.Idyllic.

Then the farmer sold the field to a developer last year and now we have diggers and bulldozers and building activity ongoing from 7am until late afternoon. There will be 125 houses there so we have lost our peace and view forever. We would not have bought this house, despite loving it, had we known what would happen.

You just never know what is round the corner and as someone has said, you can't buy the view.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 11-Jun-18 10:08:59

What would you prefer noisy neighbours with their loud music ?Give me birdsong at the crack of dawn, bleating sheep mooing cows and anything else that comes with rural life.I know what I would choose, and did, twenty five years ago and never regretted..

GreenGran78 Mon 11-Jun-18 10:14:24

Gagagran. What a shame. You will feel hemmed-in after being used to the lovely open views.

I am lucky in having a large area of common land opposite my house, which can never be built on. I enjoy watching the wild flowers come and go throughout the year, and the trees are beautiful. We even have a few wild apple trees which produce nice free fruit every year.

I hope that the loss of your view will at least result in some new friends, once the houses are completed

Aepgirl Mon 11-Jun-18 10:27:06

Sorry to sound uncaring, but you have got exactly what happens in the country. Please don't be one of those townies (and yes, I am a townie) who expects the country to change.