Gransnet forums

Chat

Drinking water in Menorca

(16 Posts)
Newquay Sun 10-Jun-18 19:39:58

We're off for our annual family jolly to Menorca end of August. I am teetotal, don't like fizzy drinks either. Does anyone know about asking for a jug/glass bottle of tap water? I don't speak Spanish and my feeble attempts cause great amusement all round-humph! Of course I don't want plastic bottles either! Don't care about the taste of the water as long as it's clean of course.

Belgravian Sun 10-Jun-18 19:43:42

' If you want a (free!) glass of tap water, ask for un vaso de agua del grifo. If you're eating at a typical Spanish restaurant, this glass of water won't come with ice.'

Newquay Mon 11-Jun-18 00:32:02

Thanks Belgravian-I'll give it a go!

Newquay Mon 11-Jun-18 00:35:01

And I don't like ice either! Perfect!

Lisalou Mon 11-Jun-18 07:46:49

Belgravian is spot on! The only thing is, you may find the water is not very pleasant to drink. Bottled water may be a better option, but you will almost certainly find it is a plastic bottle.

Newquay Wed 13-Jun-18 19:34:08

Thanks Lisa-sigh-what's a woman to do?

shysal Wed 13-Jun-18 20:08:10

I have about idea that their water is full of minerals which can upset some stomachs. Have a great holiday.

Menopaws Wed 13-Jun-18 20:23:35

If you have a broad sense of humour then YouTube Micky Flanagan and his sketch called The Shits Abroad, that may make your mind up about drinking local water!

Maggiemaybe Wed 13-Jun-18 20:33:00

I once drank rather too much of the local beer in an Eastern European town blush, woke up in the night with a raging thirst, and downed several glasses of tap water, telling myself it'd be fine. When I checked in the morning, I was told in no uncertain terms not to drink the water, especially in the area we were in, close to the river. I survived, fortunately without TSA mentioned above!

annep Sat 16-Jun-18 03:46:29

We have stayed in Menorca frequently- Santa Tomas, love it. We always bought bottled water. It was a glass bottle. I never drink tapwater abroad. wouldnt risk it.

POGS Sat 16-Jun-18 09:48:21

Menopaws
You make me laugh!

Newquay
It might be perfectly safe to drink but there is another question to be asked, is it worth the ' possibility ' of spoiling a holiday for the sake of not buying bottled water?

Happy holiday whatever you decide.

annodomini Sat 16-Jun-18 10:03:04

Bottled water brought to the table in Europe and in this country will usually be in a glass bottle. If you get it from a shop, it will most likely be in plastic. I haven't had any problem drinking tap water in Southern Europe, including Menorca.

Liz46 Sat 16-Jun-18 10:19:04

Menopaws, my OH nearly choked laughing at Micky Flanagan 'The Shits' and it was the third time he had seen it! We were in bed and he had to get up as he was really struggling to breathe. (We have had many holidays in India.) Not for someone easily offended though.

Menopaws Sat 16-Jun-18 19:21:05

Glad you enjoyed it but notice he didn't use any swear words which is rare these days, other than the obvious. He does make me laugh especially with a ring of truth to his stories!

grannyticktock Sat 16-Jun-18 20:35:06

Tap water in Spain sometimes tastes awful, so we've always drunk bottled water there. I don't know whether they will always serve tap water in restaurants - they may expect you to have bottled water (Agua mineral). The next question they'll ask is whether you want it "Con gas" (sparkling) or "Sin gas" (still). If you want to start asking what the bottle is made of, you'll need to learn a bit more Spanish!

jmoran92 Sun 07-Oct-18 15:44:29

Water is an absolute essential for a person's overall health. Our body is mainly composed of water and is dependent on water to be able to function properly. Hence, the more it is important for them to drink water more than the average.
theberkey.com/blogs/water-filter/are-your-kids-drinking-enough-water