Gransnet forums

Chat

Scam phone call followed by a WhatsApp

(15 Posts)
Bathsheba Thu 14-Jun-18 16:47:31

I had a phone call today on my mobile from a number a didn't recognise. Now I never answer such calls, unless of course I'm expecting, say, a delivery driver to ring ahead. But my DH said, 'go on answer it, doesn't matter.' WHY did I listen to the eejit? angry. I got a foreign sounding 'gentleman' telling me he'd had a missed call from my phone. Of course he hadn't! I ended the call, and immediately - I mean immediately, the instant I finished the call - I received a WhatsApp from someone called Riah, saying 'Who are you? I had a missed call from your number'. Needless to say I deleted the message without answering. And I blocked the number on my phone.
But my question is: how can someone WhatsApp me like that? I thought you could only WhatsApp people you knew? I tried afterwards to WhatsApp someone (who I know has the app on their phone) by simply keying in their mobile number. Couldn't do it. I got 'No results found'.
So what's going on here? And should I be worried?

Bathsheba Thu 14-Jun-18 16:48:50

...a number I didn't recognise. Ye Gods, I even previewed this one and still missed that!

NfkDumpling Thu 14-Jun-18 16:58:37

I too thought you had to set up a WhatsApp contact. It is worrying. I often get missed calls from numbers I don’t know and did phone back a couple of times as I was expecting a call. Both times the number wasn’t recognised. When I have answered a call it’s usually one of those “I hear you’ve had an accident” calls so had assumed it was them.

Greyduster Thu 14-Jun-18 17:06:37

I had a missed call from someone in Germany today. I don’t know anyone in Germany! Then DH got a message from someone purporting to be from EE asking him to update his payment details as they couldn’t take the payment for his last bill. It is, of course, a scam.

M0nica Thu 14-Jun-18 17:10:27

This is why I am very careful who I give my mobile number to. I only give it to delivery drivers in extremis. Otherwise I only give my landline number.

Of course it doesn't stop me getting a few nuisance calls, but if the call isn't from a name on my contacts list, it gets ignored.

Bathsheba Thu 14-Jun-18 17:23:21

Yes exactly Monica, I always ignore them too - I honestly have no idea why I listened to my idiot DH and answered it! One of those stupid senior moments hmm

M0nica Thu 14-Jun-18 17:45:27

DH's have a lot to answer for! Mine tends to answer every call, although when we get International calls on the landline now, he will, finally, do what I do, answer and immediately cut off so that they do not get the answerphone message which tells them it is a domestic and active number. All they here is couple of clicks that I hope suggests a dud number.

NanTheWiser Thu 14-Jun-18 18:15:00

There have been several threads on Mumsnet in the last few days about exactly the same problem. It appears that they are telemarketers, and it is "phone spoofing", so a bit like getting cold calls on your land line. Best to just ignore them.

NfkDumpling Thu 14-Jun-18 18:36:04

But how do they access WhatsApp?

Pittcity Thu 14-Jun-18 18:38:11

You only need a mobile number to Whatsapp anyone. Check your privacy settings are set to Contacts Only.

Bathsheba Thu 14-Jun-18 19:09:41

Pittcity I changed my privacy settings to contacts only straight away, after blocking this number. But since then I've had another random WhatsApp from an unknown number - and it's not one of the numbers that has tried to ring me, it's a different one. How? confused

Pittcity Thu 14-Jun-18 19:28:24

The Contacts Only setting controls who can see your personal data. You can't stop unknown messages except by blocking/reporting.

Bathsheba Thu 14-Jun-18 19:31:27

Yes I've just been asking Mr Google about this, and it seems that you can't stop ANYONE from WhatsApping you angry. So I'll probably be plagued with the ruddy things now and have to keep blocking and reporting them individually. How annoying. My DH is not flavour of the month. I know, I know, I didn't have to do as he said

BlueBelle Thu 14-Jun-18 19:40:50

Why not close down your what’s app for a few days ? Then when it’s all died down you can always make a new one

Bathsheba Thu 14-Jun-18 22:27:07

I have been considering that BlueBelle. Touch wood, though, I've not had any rogue calls or WhatsApps now for a few hours. So fingers crossed!