Gransnet forums

Chat

Party buffet

(32 Posts)
Luckygirl Thu 14-Jun-18 21:47:23

I am organising a ceilidh for my 70th birthday and plan to have a finger buffet.

Has anyone ordered buffet food from M&S or any other supermarket?

Any advice or recommendations?

Lots of thanks.

seacliff Thu 14-Jun-18 21:58:32

We've ordered some party platters from Waitrose a couple of times, and they have been good. I am going to order again from them (they are nearest to me, I would also use M & S if closer)

Auntieflo Thu 14-Jun-18 22:03:29

Another recommendation for M&S party platters, if you have one near to you.

Maggiemaybe Thu 14-Jun-18 22:17:24

I haven't bought in myself, but I've been to a party with an M & S party platter buffet, and it was very impressive.

Luckygirl Thu 14-Jun-18 22:20:34

Ah - all good news. I will look into it now! M&S and Waitrose about the same distance away from us.

maryeliza54 Thu 14-Jun-18 22:44:30

M&S absolutely great

annsixty Thu 14-Jun-18 23:08:10

We had M&S for our Golden wedding garden party.
Expensive but a fraction of the cost of caterers.
We had canapes, hot and cold, and then salmon , ham, chicken and salads.
Desserts were great as we ordered large ones to cut up and trifles etc.
Nothing was left!!

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Jun-18 23:08:55

If you use M&S, I would recommend phoning them the day before to ensure that they haven't forgotten.
A friend used them for her DH's party and, when her DD went to collect the food, it had not arrived at their local shop. They had to rush around the shop and pick up what they could find.

Coolgran65 Thu 14-Jun-18 23:31:24

Jalina1108 this also happened to my dss when he went to pick up for a party. They knew nothing about it and fortunately he had his paperwork with him. He was told to go and take what he wanted/needed/could find, from the shelves -- at no cost.

muffinthemoo Thu 14-Jun-18 23:37:47

Make sure the band have a dance caller, the number of people who can dance even the basic ceilidh dances is vanishingly small these days sad

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Jun-18 23:39:15

Gosh, I thought my friend's must be a one-off Coolgran65; I don't think they were charged for the food they picked up either and our local M&S Food was most apologetic even though it wasn't their fault.

DB and SisIL have ordered party food at Christmas and never had a problem.

I am sure the food will be lovely Luckygirl - just make sure that the order has gone through smile

M0nica Thu 14-Jun-18 23:49:38

I used Waitrose for DGD;s christening. The food was good and my order awaited me when I went in to collect it!

jenpax Fri 15-Jun-18 09:35:16

muffinthemoo I am embarrassed to report that I don’t know a single ceilidh dance☺️ I will have to hope I don’t get invited to one.

shysal Fri 15-Jun-18 10:53:03

I helped to finish some left-overs from a friend's M & S buffet and would thoroughly recommend them, especially the mini desserts.

goldengirl Fri 15-Jun-18 12:23:41

What a great idea! I too reach the big 7-0 soon and DH wants a sort of party BUT he hasn't thought about who is going to prepare the food [it certainly ain't going to be me!!!]. Thanks for the ideas.

jane1956 Fri 15-Jun-18 17:28:42

Sainsburys are good too think 24 hours notice

Lazigirl Fri 15-Jun-18 17:42:06

I've had M&S party food and find it good quality and fresh with veggie options. What a good idea to have a ceilidh, hope you have a great time.

kittylester Fri 15-Jun-18 17:42:16

Ordering on line and getting it delivered is a good plan. Weve used m&s and Waitrose and found them both good but would go with Waitrose again as they delivered it to the kitchen.

annsixty Fri 15-Jun-18 18:00:32

I was in M&S today and picked up the latest brochure of Food to Order.
Lots of choice for finger and buffet food.
We have a Simply Food ten minutes away and no Waitrose for several miles which is how I made my choice.

Telly Fri 15-Jun-18 19:22:36

I have ordered Waitrose entertaining and I have to say takes the strain and the hard work out of catering. They do sandwiches, wraps and desserts. However for OH special birthday I did have a catering firm in to do it, and they charged 8.75 per head. That was a while ago though but I under ordered per head, and it worked out fine. Oh, waitrose do deliver but need 5 - 7 days notice.

Gagagran Fri 15-Jun-18 20:16:15

We have used M&S on several occasions for party food. Ordered it online - some items need a few days notice- and we picked up the order from the store. Everything has been delicious and generously sized. My days of slaving in the kitchen for entertaining, when I can buy this high quality food, are done. There are often some offers on which help with costs.

Jalima1108 Fri 15-Jun-18 20:32:22

A ceilidh sounds like great fun - will it be in a village hall?

I love a ceilidh in a village hall!!

Can we all come please (virtually, of course!)

Feelingmyage55 Fri 15-Jun-18 20:43:25

jenpax you should wis for an invite, easy to learn, and soooooo much fun.

Feelingmyage55 Fri 15-Jun-18 20:43:42

Wish

Jalima1108 Fri 15-Jun-18 21:37:02

jenpax there should be a 'caller' at a ceilidh and, by golly, we needed one at the last one I went to grin