Gransnet forums

Chat

Blimey John Lewis is rubbish!

(58 Posts)
oldbatty Fri 15-Jun-18 20:11:08

I went today , desperate for a handbag. The store was so hot. Eventually I managed to find about 6 possibles. No sign of a mirror to see what they looked like. No place to put things whilst I whittled down my selection. I lost the will to live and couldn't put the rejected ones back in the proper place.

Stood in a long queue and honestly thought I was going to keel over.
Exhausting.

OldMeg Fri 15-Jun-18 20:32:04

Oh dear oldbatty not a happy shopping experience.

Just curious.....you need a mirror to see what they look like ?

Deedaa Fri 15-Jun-18 20:37:44

OK here is my John Lewis story. DD moved house and needed a cooker. Because DH worked for Waitrose and gets discount from Waitrose and John Lewis we said we would buy her the cooker (saving £66) It meant a couple of days microwave meals but with JL what could go wrong? What could go wrong was that the wrong cooker was delivered! All electric instead of dual fuel and £100 more than the one she wanted. The delivery men said they couldn't take it back so it was dumped in the conservatory. This was Saturday and the gas fitter was booked for Tuesday morning. Then John Lewis told her it would be at least a week before they could get her a replacement so we cancelled the order and she had one delivered the next day by Currys.

It is now two weeks on. For a while JL hadn't realised they hadn't got the cooker back. Now they do know they are supposed to be arranging collection but haven't come up with a date yet. They will not refund the money to DH's credit card until they have it back so we are currently paying for two cookers. Many emails have left our computer - not so many have come back!

Deedaa Fri 15-Jun-18 20:39:41

OldMeg I always like to see what a bag looks like in a mirror. They sometimes look much bigger or smaller than you thought they would.

Auntieflo Fri 15-Jun-18 20:53:21

I am tending to agree that John Lewis is not as it was. Progress??

Versavisa Fri 15-Jun-18 21:04:48

Time was that JLP was our go-to store for so many things. We could be confident that staff knew what they were talking about, prices were good and delivery was acceptable. I first noticed changes about 10 years ago; staff aggressive and lying, quality of goods declined, extremely poor and uncaring customer service, and a generally unpleasant shopping experience. Now we rarely go through the door - why would we? There are other ways to shop.

Elrel Fri 15-Jun-18 21:06:19

TK Max is good for handbags imho, and has mirrors!

oldbatty Fri 15-Jun-18 21:11:31

I find there are no staff! Apart from some frazzled looking ones at the tills.

TK Max, I always forget about them somehow.

NotAGran55 Fri 15-Jun-18 21:19:06

Just for balance .
When 3D TVs were launched we bought one from JL - it cost £2k and came with their 5 year warranty . 4 years and 5 months in it developed a minor fault - slight loss of colour intermittently on one edge .
We called for advice and they sent a 3rd party company to remove and test it and instal a replacement .
3 days later we received a call to say that in their view it was not repairable due to the advancement in technology , and JL would call us .
The following day we were offered all our money back !
In my view this is incredible customer service and I would never shop anywhere else .

Jalima1108 Fri 15-Jun-18 21:20:58

Whenever I go into JL I seem to have hot flushes, even though I should be well past that age.
Perhaps it's them, not me.

littleflo Sat 16-Jun-18 09:00:50

I agree about the demise of John Lewis. There are no staff, few mirrors and their returns policy for damaged goods is appalling.

Liz46 Sat 16-Jun-18 09:09:02

A friend was telling me that she had bought a couple of sofas from John Lewis. The day before they were due to be delivered, a charity collected her old suite. Several weeks later she is still waiting for her new furniture. It is not clear what happened but one of the staff thinks that her furniture was sold to someone else.

J52 Sat 16-Jun-18 09:48:51

Just for balance, as well.
We bought a new sofa bed from JL last week. Delivered direct, 3 days later, exactly when they said and taken to the upstairs room.
The delivery men were very courteous and put shoe covers on when they entered the house.
It’s still our go to shop.

GrandmaMoira Sat 16-Jun-18 10:12:20

I don't often shop in JL but have to agree with the OP about overheating in most shops. Debenhams is one of the worst. I think this is largely why I get so exhausted shopping.

MawBroon Sat 16-Jun-18 10:22:50

Well I still like the John Lewis Partnership but like all “national treasures”(like M&S) it is bound to come in for some stick if it falls short of its previous high standards.

Franbern Sat 16-Jun-18 10:43:46

A couple of weeks ago, I returned home mid-aftternoon to find my dropped kerb entry to my off=street parking in front of my house completely blocked by a JL van. I live in a small cul-de-sac, and we are all very tolerant about such things. I waited in my car for a few minutes until the van driver returned, then asked him if he could just move his van forward to let me get onto my driveway, then - as i was going to be in for the rest of the day - he could reverse back in front of my driveway again.
Must to my astonishment, he was put out at my request, asked if I could give him 20 minutes or more. I was sitting in my car in the middle of the road. I said, NO, I need to park my car on my own driveway and he does need to move for a few minutes to let me do so. with great reluctance he got into his van, and, still muttering at me - moved the van further down the cul-de-sac.
I sent an email to JL's Customer service department as I was really upset at his behaviour (found myself looking out the front window as I feared he may damage my car).
My first email, after having received the automated reply telling me I would have a reply within 48 hours, was ignored. Two weeks later re-sent it. Did eventually get a reply apologising and saying they were looking into the matter.
NOT John Lewis as I always knew them!!!!

wildswan16 Sat 16-Jun-18 11:18:54

Whilst acknowledging other people have had "not so good" experiences, I have to say that I have had sofas delivered on time by helpful drivers, washing machines delivered and installed on time by cheerful guys, and a hob efficiently installed and demonstrated.

I hope my impression isn't going to change as I love to shop in my local John Lewis, it is one of the few nice places to shop that are left on the high street.

eazybee Sat 16-Jun-18 12:16:01

My experience of John Lewis has always been good: sofa, washing machine, Dyson, bespoke curtains, (which did not fit, so the assistant came round immediately after the store had closed and spent an hour adjusting them until they did .) I visited another JL recently which was well-staffed and stocked; I was able to buy everything I needed and several things which I didn't, and consider it to be the epitome of a good department store.
I can't believe Franbern wasted time sending TWO emails because a delivery man was initially reluctant to move his van; he did move it so what was the problem?

TerriBull Sat 16-Jun-18 12:58:08

John Lewis' halo slipped for me a few months ago when we ordered a new mattress for our bed and at the same time paid to have the old one taken away. When the delivery arrived the driver had no note of the additional cost of removal and said he couldn't take the old one away as he didn't have room on the lorry. We had to manhandle as best we could, the old mattress into the spare bedroom, It was quite a difficult task anyway as it was King size. At the time my husband was suffering from a virus and wasn't very well, all in all we weren't very happy. However, I wrote them a strong email and we did have one of their troubleshooters ring us with a grovelling apology offering a £40 voucher, which was quite welcome as we were looking for new kitchen stools so we were able to set that offering against our bill for those.

I still love them though and they remain one of my favourite stores.

callgirl1 Sat 16-Jun-18 23:28:06

I`ve never been into a John Lewis shop, as we don`t have one in Boston. However, a couple of years ago I tried to order a fridge freezer from them online, but got a bit befuddled. I rang JL, the nice young(?) lady I spoke to talked me through what I`d done wrong, then she said "Tell you what, I`ll do the order for you shall I?", which she proceeded to do, the item was delivered on the day specified, and the old one taken away as requested. That has so far been my only experience with JL, but it did make me think that I wouldn`t mind shopping with them again if need be.

BlueBelle Sun 17-Jun-18 05:09:32

I m like you Callgirl I ve never been in a John Lewis shop but I don’t think you can rubbish a whole chain of shops because you were hot and befuddled and couldn’t see a mirror
Who needs a mirror to look at a handbag?

NfkDumpling Sun 17-Jun-18 05:43:01

In our Norwich store it very much depends on the department. We’ve bought a TV, cameras, mobile phones and an iPad with good advise and service and been very pleased with what we choose. The assistants approach and ask if they can help. This doesn’t happen in a lot of the other departments. Assistants chat in groups and turn their backs, or vanish as we approach, or just ignore us completely. We obviously don’t dress to the correct standard.

Baggs Sun 17-Jun-18 08:12:29

Why didn't you go into a fitting room to try on the handbags?

oldbatty Sun 17-Jun-18 08:43:04

I was too hot for the fitting room. I would like to check if a bag looks right and 'suits' me.
Why do people have to be so rude and unpleasant?

I see now there are several main players on this site and its not nice at all.

Bathsheba Sun 17-Jun-18 09:23:39

I have read through every post on this thread and I honestly can’t see any rudeness or unpleasantness. This is a genuine observation, not in any way an attempt to be argumentative or rude. I am simply surprised that you feel this way oldbatty. I’m sure no rudeness or unpleasantness has been intended smile you should see some of the threads shock