Gransnet forums

Chat

Fire at Glasgow School of Art !

(27 Posts)
NanKate Sat 16-Jun-18 07:27:09

How very sad to see this iconic building in flames for the second time.

Marydoll Sat 16-Jun-18 07:37:23

Oh this is terrible. My son's partner and my friend studied there.?

OldMeg Sat 16-Jun-18 07:43:26

Oh no ?

mcem Sat 16-Jun-18 07:46:56

First news item I heard on waking!
Desperately sad. The painstaking restoration work lost.
A few weeks ago I was delighted to read that another Mackintosh icon (from Miss Cranston's tearoom) is being reconstructed as a focal point in Dundee's V&A and it was satisfying to think we'd soon be able to revisit the School of Art too.
I suggest that if you aren't familiar with the work of CR Mackintosh you might like to Google and see what we're losing.

Marydoll Sat 16-Jun-18 07:50:13

I love Mackintosh's work.

Agus Sat 16-Jun-18 07:51:54

Heartbreaking news. We will start over and restore the Mack again.

J52 Sat 16-Jun-18 08:11:53

So sad, tears in my eyes.

Grandma70s Sat 16-Jun-18 08:18:18

How on earth can this happen twice in four years? How awful.

grannyqueenie Sat 16-Jun-18 08:21:05

So sad to read this, an iconic building and Glasgow’s finest too.

MawBroon Sat 16-Jun-18 08:22:35

Devastating.
My dear late MIL studied there in the early 30’s and I have always had such an affection for it.
I wonder if the fire started because of work still being done? I don’t want to consider the possibility of arson.

Teetime Sat 16-Jun-18 08:51:53

I am so sorry about this. I was fortunate enough to see the building before the first fire and it was so beautiful. I love Mackintosh design. So sad for the students and tutors. sad

Brunette10 Sat 16-Jun-18 09:31:52

Sad, sad news for Glasgow and of course all those involved. Such devastation for those involved in the restoration. Just awful.

Maggiemaybe Sat 16-Jun-18 09:45:59

This is awful. My daughter studied there and will be so upset that it’s happened again.

varian Sat 16-Jun-18 10:27:06

I cannot believe this has happened again. I used to attend Saturday morning art classes there as a child in the 1950s. It is a unique building with such a powerful character- a dreadful loss to the city.

trisher Sat 16-Jun-18 11:00:39

Devastating news. I visited before the last fire and hoped to go again when it reopened. It was such a gem.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 16-Jun-18 14:11:17

Awful news. I do wonder how a modern restoration could be so un-fire-proofed as to allow the devastating fire we've seen in the pictures taken last night. Am I just being naive (or perhaps the work wasn't as far on as I thought)?

How must those who have been involved with the work feel today? I cannot imagine, but I do feel very sad for them. sad

lemongrove Sat 16-Jun-18 15:18:39

Fires often happen during ‘work’, remember the Windsor Castle fire?

Deedaa Sat 16-Jun-18 15:56:01

This is dreadful isn't it? It's one of the places I've always wanted to visit.

Cherrytree59 Sat 16-Jun-18 16:38:18

I also like Rennie McIntosh and also his wifes work.
(Their white room was beautiful)
This is the second fire.
The first was a few years ago just a few weeks after our last visit.sad

paddyann Sat 16-Jun-18 18:37:32

I cant believe how upset I was to hear this,we passed llast week and were saying how much we looked forward to seeing the restoration complete .CRM is a much loved part of Glasgow history and most of us are very proud of his work .

varian Sat 16-Jun-18 18:43:39

Only a month or so ago we went to Kelvingrove Gallery to see the fabulous Mackintosh exhibition. I hope it continues to inspire and perhaps the reconstruction can start again.

I am not a big fan of Nicola Sturgeon, but she said exactly what I was thinking. This week we have been thinking about the Grenfell tragedy, and we have to be glad that no lives were lost here in Glasgow- but I still feel a sense of bereavement.

Cherrytree59 Sat 16-Jun-18 19:08:18

Yikes just realised spell check on my phone!!!blush
Mackintosh

AlieOxon Sat 16-Jun-18 19:30:46

I wish I had seen it, it was a beautiful building.... very sad.

I do know my Irish grandmother visited the tearoom soon after it opened. She loved it.

varian Mon 18-Jun-18 10:26:11

Sadness over the fire that ravaged Glasgow School of Art’s Mackintosh building on Friday turned to anger last night, as experts warned the A-listed landmark could cost as much as £200 million to rebuild.

A clamour is now growing for answers on what sparked the blaze at the world-famous “Mack”, which was undergoing a £35m restoration following another fire that tore through the building in 2014.

But last night Kier Construction Scotland, which has day-to-day control of the site, refused to answer questions on whether sprinklers were in operation, amid reports a fire suppression system was in place but not ready for use.

Sources at the art school also said yesterday it may be up to six months before investigators can say officially what caused the disaster.

www.heraldscotland.com/news/16296885.Sadness_turns_to_anger_over_Glasgow_Art_School_disaster/

paddyann Mon 18-Jun-18 13:35:27

Keir must have had insurance on it ? If not, thats neglect and they must be liable for the rebuild .