Gransnet forums

Chat

Fathers day

(48 Posts)
Seaside22 Sat 16-Jun-18 08:25:28

Hi, I will be thinking about my wonderful, caring dad tomorrow, who loved me dearly, his face used to light up every time he saw me , he passed away 8 years ago, miss him every day.We are both looking forward to tomorrow though, our two boys will be dropping by with gifts for my husband , although he tells them not to , they still indulge him.It's lovely watching them together, they are both fantastic dads themselves, as is my husband , they had a good role model in him. Hope all Dad's have a lovely day tomorrow.

silverlining48 Sat 16-Jun-18 08:51:24

Seaside how lovely to have had a wonderful dad. You are so lucky to have happy memories of a good man.
Sadly my situation is different. He is not missed, he was not loved but was always feared.
Happily my dh has been a good dad to our children and we shall celebrate with him over lunch with family tomorrow.

Seaside22 Sat 16-Jun-18 09:12:35

Sorry to hear your story silverlining, so sad. At least you have a happy ending .Have a lovely day.

HAZBEEN Sat 16-Jun-18 09:16:21

This is my first Fathers Day without my Dad. It was only March when I lost him and its been really hard seeing all the adverts etc for cards, presents and such. But I will raise a glass to him tomorrow and am intending to wear the necklace he give me years ago to make me feel closer to him.
Best wishes to all the Fathers out there and love and hugs to anyone in the same situation as me. x

silverlining48 Sat 16-Jun-18 09:18:56

Thanks seaside, enjoy your day too, as we will.

Grandma70s Sat 16-Jun-18 09:24:01

There was no Father's Day when I was young. We never celebrated it or even knew about it, I don’t think. Anyway. my father was wonderful so we celebrated all the time. He died 17 years ago, aged 94. Still missed.

Seaside22 Sat 16-Jun-18 09:39:15

Aww Hazbeen, it's very early days for you, these first anniversary are the worst, I remember it well.Be prepared to be sad, but think about the happiest times you had together, and how lucky you were to have such a wonderful dad.Best wishes to you.

oldbatty Sat 16-Jun-18 11:32:13

It's an invention from America I think?

Greyduster Sat 16-Jun-18 12:15:34

We didn’t have Father’s Day when I was young either. I lost my father many years ago, but he was a lovely gentle man and a great influence on my early life. DD and SiL will be here for breakfast on Father’s Day, and as GS will be here already, he has asked if we can make a card for his Dad, so that is what we will be working on today. GS has a friend who lost his father this year, and I said that he should think about how sad the boy and his brother would be tommorrow, and think about how blessed he is to have such a good and giving dad himself and try not to take it for granted. But I suppose we all take our parents for granted when we are young. I certainly did ?.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 16-Jun-18 14:41:19

We didn't have Father's Day either, but our DC (usually) marked it for DH, and often still do! This year I have noticed a lot of advertising for it, and I have found myself thinking about my own father, still missed after over 7 years, so it's been an unexpected treat to have pleasant memories reviewed.

HAZBEEN flowers

BlueBelle Sat 16-Jun-18 14:49:37

Never had a Father’s Day until it got brought over some years back I definitely used to celebrate in my Dads later years I miss him SO much he was a lovely gentle man with a quiet exterior and a big heart, 6 years gone such a lovely man I wish I d have told him more how much I appreciated him I hope he knew. I sat with him as he died and felt so ashamed afterwards as I don’t think I held him I was in such shock Still bothers me x

lemongrove Sat 16-Jun-18 15:13:09

Anyone who had a good Father was extremely lucky, there are plenty of the other sort around.
I think that ‘Fathers Day’ became popular in the mid seventies onwards here?Certainly by the eighties.

oldbatty Sat 16-Jun-18 15:29:07

quite so, lemongrove

colournanny Sun 17-Jun-18 08:23:40

Hi this is my first Father’s Day without my lovely dad. He passed recently & to be honest still doesn’t seem real
I miss him c

MawBroon Sun 17-Jun-18 08:40:44

I have three special people to remember today
Mutti, my Mum Gerda Hanna whose birthday it would have been, born 99 years ago. Bless her she did not have an easy life, being brought up in Berlin in the 20’s and 30’s by a kind but authoritarian father and a stepmother who resented the fact that she had survived while her brother (Oma’s only baby) died in infancy. Life in post-war Scotland was an escape of a sort but still hard and I know she was often misunderstood and lonely.
My darling Dad, whom we lost in 2001. A natural raconteur, born and bred in the Borders, he was wise and knowledgeable especially on all things Scottish and historical or literary, and imbued in me a love of language and literature (and rugby!)
Finally, my darling Paw the father of my children.
The flooers o’ the Forest
Are a’ wede awa
flowers. flowers. flowers

muppett1 Sun 17-Jun-18 08:43:05

I lost my husband just over 7 years ago and my dad 3 months later. My mum died 2 months ago. I think I was numb when dad died and kept busy helping mum. Now mums gone I feel like I’ve been hit and can now grieve for them all. To add to that it would have been my husbands birthday today. I have remarried and am very happy but it has been an emotion filled start to the day.

jools1903 Sun 17-Jun-18 08:52:56

This is my second Fathers Day without my Dad and I feel.....nothing. My relationship with him was strained to say the least. He was highly critical of me and favoured my sister greatly (which has done her no favours whatsoever). I tried my best to care for him as he got older, visited him and his wife, showed compassion for him, visited him in hospitals when he was dying. But when he did pass away I felt......nothing.

Is that wrong of me?

ginny Sun 17-Jun-18 08:56:39

Lost my Dad just over 7 years ago. Very much still loved and missed by all the family.

Urmstongran Sun 17-Jun-18 09:00:51

Ah Hazbeen ?? My lovely mum died 3 months ago. So one week after her death it was Mother’s Day. That was hard too. Big hugs to everyone who needs them today. x

Diggingdoris Sun 17-Jun-18 09:01:57

Yes my thoughts this morning are of my wonderful Dad lost to cancer 27 years ago, and to a marvellous stepfather lost 3 years ago. Two very different but dearly loved special men. I miss them both but will ponder today on the happy times we shared.

GabriellaG Sun 17-Jun-18 09:06:39

My father died aged 44 when I was 17 and brothers were 15 and 5.
That was 56 years ago so it's pretty difficult to recall how we celebrated father's day or indeed, if it was even a celebration all those years ago.
There are so many celebratory days now, that hardly a week goes by without a reminder to buy a 'from our dog to your dog' card or one for your godmother etc. It can become very expensive if you let it.
I hope those of you with fathers have a wonderful day. roastchickenwinesmile

oldbatty Sun 17-Jun-18 09:06:45

Jools I get what you're saying. Totally.

peaches50 Sun 17-Jun-18 09:18:22

Jules not wrong understandable flowers. Seaside 22 know how you feel. My darling dad (and mum) told me, (and my sisters) everyday of my life how wonderful, clever, witty etc etc (love is blind!) I was and that confidence and loving comfort blanket has kept me buoyant through very tough times. But my DH was abused and mistreated by his stepfather with the complicity of his mother. They favored his half sister. As a result he is emotionally stunted - his estranged children don't see him except for a daughter who hasn't bothered to send a card today. His step family (my sons and their children) dote on him and he will get spoiled today but the hurt is for him - I feel so sorry he never had what I had. So to all of us who were loved, or those who were not - a big hug to you and cheers to the skies for loving and beloved Dads whether with us or gone but never ever forgotten!

Coconut Sun 17-Jun-18 09:35:26

Many of us feel a twinge on this day, something is missing. So I always send my 2 sons a card on Fathers Day saying how proud I am of the Fathers that they have become. Today is difficult for me too. My brother who has survived throat cancer and given the all clear last week, has now had a heart attack and it’s touch and go for him. Am just going to pick elderly Mum up to go and visit him in hospital, just in case....

Maggiemaybe Sun 17-Jun-18 09:41:09

Happy Father’s Day to all the good dads out there. We’re having a get-together later to celebrate the great fathers in our family, young and old. My own lovely dad died when I was 35, but we’ll raise a glass to him today. wine