Gransnet forums

Chat

Can't kid myself any longer!

(75 Posts)
sunseeker Sat 16-Jun-18 10:46:49

I have always thought that I didn't look too bad for my age - pushing 70. However I now have to renew my passport and the photos prove that I am completely wrong! I don't recall seeing all those lines and wrinkles when I look in the mirror!

I am now thinking I should not venture out as I may frighten small children!

Squiffy Sat 16-Jun-18 10:59:20

I've been putting off renewing my passport because I know, only too well, how awful the photo will be! I always look terrible in ordinary photos and hate being in them. My cousin, who I'm always told I look like, could wear a tatie sack and look elegant and chic, she's so photogenic. envy I know it's only going to be seen at Passport Control etc, but I still would like it to be a decent photo!

sunseeker Sat 16-Jun-18 11:02:38

Also why can't you smile in these photos? I think I look better when I smile and when going through passport control I always smile at the person checking it smile

OldMeg Sat 16-Jun-18 11:05:33

I think young children are over-protected these days sunseeker it will do them the world of good to have a fright ??

sunseeker Sat 16-Jun-18 11:08:05

Thanks OldMeg - I am now considering cutting holes in one of my bags and wearing it over my head grin

kittylester Sat 16-Jun-18 11:08:25

I'm 70 in January and am not looking forward to having a photo driving licence which I have managed to avoid up to now!

We went a social thingy last week for DH's volunteering where lots of photos were taken. The organiser very 'kindly' sent us some copies. I look just like my mum and, despite spending a fortune on highlights, look as though my hair is grey!

It's just not on!

Greyduster Sat 16-Jun-18 11:10:40

I was thinking the same thing myself while looking in the bathroom mirror. Then I was watching a programme about Anne Robinson, who is barely a year older than me, talking about having her face lifted. She still seems to have as many lines and wrinkles as I do, and it made me feel better. I never used to worry about my looks but aging is scary sometimes.

oldbatty Sat 16-Jun-18 11:30:15

Anne Robinson reminds me if Jim Carey in the mask.

Telly Sat 16-Jun-18 15:19:05

I know, I sometimes think of 'oh to see ourselves as others see us!'. I think I look OK for my age, as my mother did but now and then I catch an unposed reflection in a mirror and wonder when I became so aged. However I don't feel it so keeping on keeping on!

grannyqueenie Sat 16-Jun-18 17:27:34

I thought I looked decidedly “dodgy”, actually tbh totally criminal in my last passport photo. So when it needed to be renewed I thought needed all the help I could get so made sure I applied a bit of eye make up, something I seldom bother with. I probably do look a little less sinister in the new one but with no smile oh so stern. ?

Bathsheba Sat 16-Jun-18 18:30:23

Someone once said (can't remember who) "If I really looked like my passport photo, no country on earth would let me in". grin

Mine is hideous. We were in a bit of a rush to apply for new passports and I set the camera on a tripod, used a remote shutter release thingy and took some myself. I honestly didn't know what to do with my face, given that I couldn't smile, so my face is kind of frozen, staring, as if I'm doped up shock

janeainsworth Sat 16-Jun-18 18:45:27

My moment of truth is when I put a contact lens in instead of wearing my glasses ??

Willow500 Sat 16-Jun-18 19:16:36

The last time I renewed my passport the lady in the post office said my photo had changed so much from the last one the passport office might not believe it was me and reject it so I'd be better getting another done shock Luckily they didn't agree and sent the new one but I look like a ghost - so grey and pale I think I'm fading away like the photos in Harry Potter! Might be a good thing grin

Waterloosunset Sat 16-Jun-18 19:27:01

I hated my last passport photo - it was truly awful. I thought nothing could ever be as bad as that. Well here I am, ten years’ later, with my new passport, wishing I had the old one back! Moral of the story - appreciate what I have now!

cornergran Sat 16-Jun-18 19:40:11

Had our most recent passport photos taken in a camera shop, just to be sure they were OK. The pleasant young woman taking the photo advise me to look ‘soft’, then ‘not so soft’. Didn’t dare ask her what she meant grin. They we’re accepted so we didn’t need to go back for the free re-take they offered if the photos were rejected. I was sort of relieved. The outcome? Mr C’s is very good, looks like him. Mine? Definitely scary. Still, I don’t have to look at it. grin.

hildajenniJ Sat 16-Jun-18 19:49:34

I had my passport photo taken by the postmaster at our local post office. I had to take my glasses off. My photo is horrible, I don't look like myself ??. DH looks okay, but then he was always good looking, ( well I think so anyway).

NanKate Sat 16-Jun-18 19:52:08

I can confirm Kittylester does not have grey hair she has blonde hair in a rather nice bob, so don't believe a word she says. Oh and pretty pink nail varnish. I should know I met her for the first time on Thursday. ?
Signed Inspector Clouseau.

Feelingmyage55 Sat 16-Jun-18 19:59:55

Had my photos taken three times in an effort to get an acceptable one. The first one was the least worst (send me to pedants’ corner). And I could not face making a fourth attempt.

watermeadow Sat 16-Jun-18 20:41:45

Use an old photograph. The one on my bus pass is at least ten years old.

notanan2 Sat 16-Jun-18 21:38:51

Everyone looks awful in passport pics!

My kids look awful in theirs and I'm their mum & usually think they are the most gorgeous people on earth!

Mapleleaf Sat 16-Jun-18 22:20:26

I hate my passport photo, too! They're not flattering are they? You can't smile, you have to remove your glasses, the background has to be neutral ( so much so that I'm sure I almost disappear into it ?), your hair has to be off your face. No, they are definitely not great!! ?

M0nica Sat 16-Jun-18 22:57:02

I have just had a decent passport photograph taken at Timpsons. Nothing fancy I just stood against a wall in the open shop, assistant grabbed a camera and took the photo and a whizzy computer machine, cut it down to the right size, sent it to the passport people, printed four copies for me and gave me a code to put on my online passport form.

The resulting photo actually makes me look younger than in the photo taken 10 years ago, which to be honest was truly, truly dreadful, even passport officials used to do double takes and scrutinise me to work out whether there really was any resemblance between me and the photo.

One thing I did when the photo was taken was start the process of a closed mouth smile; tightened the muscles either side of the mouth, not enough to suggest I was smiling, but enough to get rid of the hang dog, down in the mouth look.

Nannykay Sat 16-Jun-18 23:25:02

Well I’m sorry, I know for a fact I don’t look my age, I’m the same as I was when I got married. It’s not my fault my clothes seem to keep shrinking, it’s that washing machine, and if I’m a little absent minded these days it’s because my house is haunted, there’s this old wrinkly lady watching me every time I look in the mirror.

gillybob Sat 16-Jun-18 23:39:41

Sunseeker do not despair . I’m 56 and I’ve looked like an old hag since I was 40. I’m used to it.

Synonymous Sat 16-Jun-18 23:44:22

It is when someone smiles sadly at you and says "well, we all like to think we look better than we do" as they hand your photos over that you really feel that you have become your grandmother! hmm