Gransnet forums

Chat

Cycling at seventy

(30 Posts)
Silverlining47 Sun 17-Jun-18 08:47:17

Tanith and Greyduster thank you both for your replies. I will be hiring a bike. Do you mean a gel saddle or a gel saddle cover?
Just writing this post has made me think I should contact the cycle holiday company as I expect I'm not the first person to have this concern hmm!

loopyloo Sun 17-Jun-18 08:41:29

Some local authorities run cycling support services. Worth investigating and having some pre ski sessions. But be careful you may get hooked!

Greyduster Sun 17-Jun-18 08:37:22

Gel saddles are very good, but even with one I wouldn’t be persuaded onto a bike again. Depends what they mean by gentle cycling I suppose, but good on you! You can also get cycling shorts with padding in certain places hmm! I agree with tanith try hire a bike before you go just to get used to it again. There’s bound to be a bike trail near you that you test yourself on.

tanith Sun 17-Jun-18 08:15:50

I’m assuming you are hiring a bike? I was going to suggest breaking yourself in before you go but if your hiring, that won’t be possible. My husband bought a gel saddle which he finds very comfy.

Silverlining47 Sun 17-Jun-18 07:55:17

I have been persuaded to join some friends on a 'gentle' cycling holiday! I am fit but haven't sat on a bike for years and am most worried about a sore bottom! Can anyone recommend a good seat cover or give me any advice please.