Gransnet forums

Chat

How many men does it take..........?

(11 Posts)
trisher Tue 26-Jun-18 17:00:38

......to fix an escalator. There were 7 men working on the escalator in my local metro station. I say 'working' but one was on his phone, one had a laptop.one was very young and looked like an apprentice and the others just seemed to be standing either side watching. It's only a little escalator and I don't think they were all needed. But I wondered what other things GNers have spotted with too many men for the job.

Nanabilly Tue 26-Jun-18 17:03:07

Council workers of any sort, any job! 3 gardeners doing landscaping tidying up , one spraying assembled and 2 sat reading papers in the van.

jusnoneed Tue 26-Jun-18 18:01:26

We had similar last week, men repairing a pothole (which they had 'repaired' about a month ago) - 1 large van used by the boss who lives a hundred yards around the corner, 2 flat bed trucks parked up with a chap sat in each of the driver seats, two men stood looking at the hole and one chap actually working on it! Boss stood watching. No wonder the roads are in such a state, they could of each been doing one of the many holes.

JustALaugh Tue 26-Jun-18 18:23:50

The council "workers" seem to take ages to do any job. At a sheltered housing scheme I know, the door entry buzzer broke last August, so that anyone wanting to gain access (carers, doctors, delivery men, etc.) had to press the "on call" button to summon the Manager, who more often than not wasn't available. The council had been "working" on it all this time, and finally fixed it 6 weeks ago!

annep Tue 26-Jun-18 18:29:16

Four men discussing how to get the hearth from the display fireplace in the showroom as the wrong one had been sent to my house. Not council workers. I think its a man thing. Women just do it!

Davidhs Tue 26-Jun-18 20:01:06

Easy explanation " Work expands to fill the time available" - empire building. Have you visited a hospital recently, just count he number of staff around then count the number actually helping patients.

gillybob Tue 26-Jun-18 20:22:57

I agree with nanability and Justalaugh . There are always council “workers “ vans hiding at the end of my dads small close (avoiding work) . They send 3 men to do a one man job and nothing ever seems to be straightforward. No wonder our LA are using subcontractors more and more it must save them a fortune .

stella1949 Wed 27-Jun-18 05:52:01

Yesterday I saw two council workers walking along spraying the pavement for weeds. The pavement was not wide, but they walked abreast, chatting to each other and taking turns to spray a little bit here and a little bit there. Nice "work" if you can get it !

Luckygirl Wed 27-Jun-18 09:58:14

Six men to mow a small playground when we were in France. Only the one mower!!!

trisher Wed 27-Jun-18 10:01:09

It's nice to know that this is international and not just us Brits!

kittylester Wed 27-Jun-18 10:32:19

On the other hand - it should have taken two men to move the very large and very full pot from the back garden to the front but DH did it himself. He is now walking with a limp and is seeing the GP on Monday! angry