Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's comfortable and friendly kitchen...

(1001 Posts)
soop Thu 28-Jun-18 16:41:24

Here we are again
Happy as can be
All good pals and jolly good company.
Never mind the weather
Never mind the rain?
As long as we're together
Here we go again...
Welcome and please feel free to open the Bubbly and tuck into a virtual Magnum choc ice. smile

Menopaws Sat 30-Jun-18 11:57:18

It's that attitude that will get you through Maw, bless you

annsixty Sat 30-Jun-18 12:03:05

5/6 isn't bad at all Maw I'm sure you have some contented and happy days ahead.
My neighbour who was widowed 14 months ago is never at home.
It helps that she was left very comfortably off but she is certainly making the most of her life.

Charleygirl Sat 30-Jun-18 12:30:42

Flynn will keep you on your toes and Hattie hiding no doubt! What a lovely day ahead for you. I agree. 5/6 aint bad.

Greyduster Sat 30-Jun-18 12:54:35

I will try and keep up with the galloping kitchen today. We are having a quiet one, trying to ignore the remains of the strawberry flan and Belgian chocolate cheese cake left over from yesterday’s lunch, which was very nice, even if there was a lot of emphasis on salad, which everyone likes except me! We have just been doing some garden tidying and there was an almighty roar and a Lancaster bomber flew over very low! I say ‘a’ Lancaster - it is ‘the’ Lancaster, as I think it is the only one still flying now. It was a wonderful sight and took my mind off the untidy state of my garden - for about a minute and a half! I had forgotten that today is Armed Forces day. I wondered if it was on its way to Derwent to fly over the dam. DD is there today running in a ten mile race around the reservoir so she will have had a good view if so.
Soop I love the photos of you and MacS, but I was sorry to hear you had had sad news concerning your friends. ‘In the midst of life......’.
Ann no-one will ever ignore your posts. We will ride the rollercoaster with you, all the while wishing that there could be practical help to give. Sorry to hear you are not able to fall back on your son at the moment - I hope that situation improves.
Maw glad you can take the ‘five out of six’ slice of life with a smile. I’m sure the little chap’s presence will put the icing on the day’s cake. Will he be bringing his new motor, do you think?
Panache what a scary moment that would have been. I’m glad things are a little more settled today. Hope the viewings go well.
Charley I would give a lot to be feeling the cold at the moment, but it is obviously not good for you to be. I hope you manage to sort yourself out a decent brunch. There is plenty of salad ? left here if you want some, and a large piece of quiche! I am trying to ignore both, but I am quietly losing out to the quiche!
I have to go and finish my gardening now, so I will look in later.

soop Sat 30-Jun-18 13:10:02

A bright, warm and cheerful good afternoon to you lovely lot.

Ann PLEASE do not apologise for sharing your feelings - good, bad or indifferent with your mates in the kitchen. We understand. Your feelings matter and we are here for you come rain or shine. flowers

Panache That was one very scary experience for both you and your husband. I'm relieved to hear that your husband has no nasty side-effects.

Maw Your post is lovely. I also hope that you are enjoying a wonderful day with our wee pin-up, Flynn.

Charleyg keep up with the good work. You are on the road to a full recovery. You need to nourish your body in order to appreciate a new beginning. A gentle pat on the back. smile

MawBroon Sat 30-Jun-18 13:53:48

Flynn's new "Beep beep" lives here and is waiting for him on the patio as I write!
What if he doesn't like it? ????

annsixty Sat 30-Jun-18 13:56:14

He will love it, all my GC did, but be prepared for an aching back until he learns to do the pedals himself.

Greyduster Sat 30-Jun-18 14:08:27

what if he doesn’t like it. Fat chance, Maw - you just wait and see! He will be like a dog with two tails!

NonnaW Sat 30-Jun-18 14:47:12

After dropping DH at the station this morning for his week in Scotland, I decided to do a bit of baking. Therefore, please help me out with cinnamon & raisin loaf and rhubarb & pistachio cake. I hope they’ll be ok.
I’m not usually one to post family photos here, it may I make an exception please for this one of DS1 and DGD, raedyfor her prom?

Doodle Sat 30-Jun-18 14:47:31

Flynn will love his beep beep Maw. Seeing it reminded me of when we bought one for our DGD. At the time she was really ill and in lots of pain. It was the only thing that brought a smile to her little face. Fortunately within 2 weeks she had surgery, recovered well and was fine and her beep beep was much treasured and used. ?

Doodle Sat 30-Jun-18 14:48:49

Lovely photo nona. Amazing how quickly they grow up isn't it.

soop Sat 30-Jun-18 15:06:23

Nonna Your granddaughter is beautiful.

Maw I guarantee that Flynn will be cock-a-hoop. I would lurve it.

I'm working on a portrait of a ram. A way to go before it's completed. The colour in reality is a lot more subtle.

soop Sat 30-Jun-18 17:03:56

It's been a glorious day. Far too hot to sit for too long in the sunshine.

My best wishes to you lot for a pleasant evening. I shall log off until tomorrow. smile moon

Greyduster Sat 30-Jun-18 17:27:02

Nonna your GD is a very pretty girl. She looks a picture. As Doodle says, where does the time go?

Panache Sat 30-Jun-18 17:47:04

Another quickie as I am just about totally wiped out.............yesterday`s near thing has truly given me much to think about.......... and believe you me , I read posts from dear folk like our Ann,Maw and the several whom have or having a real struggle and I have learnt to simply count each and every blessing.............today may not be perfect and life has its ups and downs .....but we try simply to get on with life and be thankful for each new day.....although still feeling very shaken by yesterday`s expperience.

Thank you all for your kind comments.......much appreciated let me tell you.

The roads to the beaches beyond have been horrendously busy this past week.....almost day and night .......in fact in all our almost 15 years living here, it has never been one half this busy.
So we had written off our viewers completely.
NOT counting our chickens at this very early stage but must add it was the most complimentary threesome we have ever had the joy to meet. ......clearly spoken from the heart.....
In fact they were so full of praises for both our decor,presentation inside and the multitude of well filled garden areas, we just are totally stunned............all this with cars of every description passing nearby making plenty of noise!!!
Of course it probably will lead to nothing,but they exchange this week..........but at least we have had the pleasure of meeting some delightful people who truly understood and felt for me ..... having no choice but move ..........after the obvious hard work we both have put in here.
Now a repeat performance perhaps tomorrow morning...............yet another viewing from Bristol.
Exhausting work this viewing lark....................we dare not think further afield!

As for the "Beep Beep" if your Flynn is not tickled pink and fallen completely in love with this Maw...........I promise to eat my hat!! One little lad will be tickled pink.

Desperate for some "quiet time" so I am sure you will understand if I say Night Night early,trusting that you all enjoy some peace and pleasant moments.........plus a good night.

MawBroon Sat 30-Jun-18 21:28:53

Oh dear, Janny got it wrong, no longer a “beep beep” as of this morning, apparently a “car”. Silly Janny!
Loves it though and also his new “watch”, DD had told me last week he is obsessed with them so..... of course Janny obliged.
DD and SIL have gone off to their party and I have two canine companions to look after me.
We’re very chilled here!

Charleygirl Sat 30-Jun-18 21:39:13

Hattie does like her sofa. Pleased to hear that you have enjoyed the day and you are being well care for this evening. No doubt everybody is asleep except yourself!

I have had a surfeit of football so I am joining Tara within the next few minutes. She was quite sick when she came home this evening but that is nothing new. She has been resting upstairs since she came home and had her cuddles.

I had half a melt in your mouth sirloin steak for supper with some mushrooms. I am getting there. I did appreciate the nagging vibes but as I now feel hungry on occasions I think I am well on my way to the land of the living. Thanks.

annodomini Sat 30-Jun-18 22:38:38

Glad to hear that Flynn is teaching you English, Maw. Beep-beep indeed! When my DS2 was 2, our car was 'taptin' because we said 'Let's get you strapped in'. Logically therefore, Grandpa's car was 'Gampa's taptin'. Luckily, by the time he went to school he could speak reasonable English.
ann, I am so sorry to hear that you have had a breakdown in communication with DS. You are in so much need of support.

grannyqueenie Sat 30-Jun-18 23:12:00

Another new kitchen.....where did that time go.....?? I’m glad there’s air conditioning, it’ll counteract the effects of the kettle simmering on the aga!
Those look to be 2 very chilled out dogs maw, I notice the visitor hasn’t attempted to commandeer the sofa yetYour contented sort of day is a real blessing to have and a memory tohold onto. I’m glad to hear that you’re on the mend at last charley, I hope Tara is feeling better too.

panache here’s hoping you get some positive results from your house viewings, that in between in limbo period in a relocation process is very unsettling. You’re so right these “near misses* do bring us up with a jolt. Dd2 texted earlier on today, she was upset about a serious accident in her locality which resulted in 4 very young men losing their lives and several others being seriously injured. Neither of us know any of the families involved but just the thought of what had happened made her need to get in touch for a hug, albeit a virtual one.

Soop as always your artwork is stunning, what a talented woman you are....maybe I should have said “lady”.. I seem to recall seeing another very elegant photo of you both recently! Sad news is always hard to hear x

What a lovely photo, Nonna, no wonder you couldn’t resist sharing it. Mmm the rhubarb cake does sound very tempting! As in fact do your leftovers greyduster, I froze my leftover cheesecake it was the only way to avoid temptation I’m afraid.

Ann no wonder you were feeling upset about family matters. You’ve had such a roller coaster of a time, lately no one here will think any less of you for being honest about you were feeling at the time. Good news on the respite plan but the last few weeks especially will have taken their toll on you, making it much harder for you to keep your sense of equilibrium. Families, however loved or lovely they may be, don’t always “get it”. Please be as kind to yourself as you would to a friend in your situation. x

corner I hope your difficulties are now resolving, no doubt due to your persistence. But oh how frustrating for you it’s been.

I’ve been busy helping at a Flower Festival locally. The theme was based around a hymn, “Who put the colours in the rainbow?” As well as the floral displays local primary schools and childrens groups had been invited to make trays, using any medium, in a rainbow colour. When laid out up the length of the aisle they looked stunning.

Well bed is calling, a busy day tomorrow - church, followed by watching gds x2 play in a footie gala organised by their dad and hopefully the chance of a natter with dd2. Then off to spend the evening with dd4, with a sleepover thrown in.

grannyqueenie Sat 30-Jun-18 23:13:57

anno, that made me smile!

Charleygirl Sun 01-Jul-18 09:25:46

grannyqueenie those flowers are just gorgeous.

Another glorious day here- I may sit outside a bit later and watch my washing dry.

I lazed in bed longer than usual today, 8am, Tara did not think that I was ever going to have a shower and eventually let her out.

More fabulous football today but I am waiting for the big one on Tuesday evening.

I could chill out like Hattie and her mate any day of the week. I hope that Flynn behaved- his English is much improved- look out Maw, I have not forgotten what your previous job was- beep beep indeed.

Greyduster Sun 01-Jul-18 10:01:08

Good morning the kitchen! We are supposed to be going for a walk this morning, so I keep hiding in the hope that by the time I surface again, DH will have gone off the idea! I walked down to the supermarket yesterday - ten minutes there, ten minutes back - and felt like a limp rag when I got home! DD put me to shame by taking part in the Dambusters 10 which is a super fast ten mile running race around the Derwent valley reservoirs. She said it was “tough but fun”. Fishing is fun, and you get to stand still!
Gq your photographs are truly lovely - especially the one of the aisle. It brought to mind the amount of work that goes into the Derbyshire well dressings, and the results. I was also very sad to hear about the horrendous accident you spoke about. What a dreadful waste of life and potential. It happens too often and I wish there was something that could be done about it.
Charley keep it up with the steak and mushrooms, and enjoy the footie!
I will look in later! I have now been ordered to put on my walking shoes. I am just going outside - I may be a little while.......

Charleygirl Sun 01-Jul-18 10:43:19

Greyduster if you do not fancy going out you should say so. It seems to be very hot outside although I have my cardigan on as usual.

I cannot be bothered doing much but that is nothing new here.

grannyqueenie Sun 01-Jul-18 12:42:26

Thought you might like a closer look to see a closer look at few of the children’s trays

grannyqueenie Sun 01-Jul-18 12:46:06

And at the risk of completely boring you the amazing weaving done by a grown up, sadly not me as I’m not that clever!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion