Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's comfortable and friendly kitchen...

(1001 Posts)
soop Thu 28-Jun-18 16:41:24

Here we are again
Happy as can be
All good pals and jolly good company.
Never mind the weather
Never mind the rain?
As long as we're together
Here we go again...
Welcome and please feel free to open the Bubbly and tuck into a virtual Magnum choc ice. smile

MawBroon Fri 10-Aug-18 09:43:06

Sorry to hear that greyduster I hope it is not as serious as it sounds...but not convinced.

Oh dear, I shall be happy to hunker down in the kitchen, much of what I read elsewhere saddens me and makes me uncomfortable.

Isn’t it good though when a short break (o longer one) “sets you up” and recharges your batteries? I am sure the drop in temperature has helped too.
Not wishing the sun away but so sorry to have to jettison at least 2 of my large and (I think) beautiful hanging baskets which have not survived 5 days without water sad

kittylester Fri 10-Aug-18 09:58:33

Hello kitcheners. Just popped in whilst in the midst of preparing for DD2 and daughters. I changed, washed, mostly ironed and put away the bedding for 2 kingsized beds and two single beds over the course of this week so I'm very glad the weather has changed!

Callgirl, I'm so sorry you have been upset by that incident. I'm sure you are as much upset about the lack of decency of the man who found your money as the loss of it. flowers

We love Wells too!! How could anyone not! We prefer Suffolk to Norfolk, which always seems muddy when we are there, but there are some super places to visit. We are trying to work out dates to go to out favourite hotel in Suffolk but kittens, upcoming (!?) babies, childcare and volunteering responsibilities seem to be in the way at the moment.

GD, I hope your son has some sort of resolution to his knee problem soon. And, the answer to your question is - never! sad

Good luck with your EA reports on viewings Panache and be thankful that the cows stayed put for the your potential purchasers.

Hope you've recovered from the birthday celebrations soop. cafe

Welcome back Maw, just sit quietly for a while with brew.

How are things going topsy - stressed yet! brew

I hope both you and DH enjoyed yesterday , Ann*, it might take your DH a while to settle but he will.

Nonna, I hope things will work out for you - uncertainty is a real drain isn't it.

corner, if the problem is too much money, I will gladly help, otherwise I'm afraid you are on your own.

Congratulations gaga. Let us know which hotel you choose!

Great photo N&G.

With apologies to anyone I've missed.

Please leave the usual cake crumbs, empty bottles and corks to mark the way to the new kitchen if you move before I return.

Gagagran Fri 10-Aug-18 10:07:04

I did my knee in rushing to get back to the carpark as my ticket was almost up and as I went down an unexpectedly deep kerb ny knee collapsed under me. It turned out to be damage to the mensicus and took ages to heal. It is still not reliable and I try to avoid any twisting movements of it.

Hope your DS improves and the damage is not too serious Grey and no, we never do stop worrying about our children!

Gagagran Fri 10-Aug-18 10:10:43

Update on the competition win - we are going to the Isle of Wight for 2 days B&B +dinner the week after next. Couldn't choose the hotel but we are happy with the one allocated and it has wonderful sea views and excellent reviews. DH has booked the ferry. Thanks again GN! smile

Galen Fri 10-Aug-18 11:08:39

We’re still here I see!
It seems it’s the only peaceful place on the planet

Greyduster Fri 10-Aug-18 12:20:48

I went to put some laundry out this morning and all I could smell was smoke. I thought some inconsiderate person had lit a bonfire. It doesn’t seem to be going away. When DH came back from buying some paint, he said that he had heard on the radio that there was a large moorland fire in Staffordshire that was causing people for many miles around to be bothered by the smoke. We are a considerable distance from Staffordshire so if we can smell it this strongly on the wind, it must be pretty b****y awful for the poor people living nearer! What a summer, eh?

Nannytopsy Fri 10-Aug-18 13:12:09

My optician made a comment about my cataracts when I was in my 50s. “What cataracts?!” I said. Her reply was that everyone past their 30s has them to some degree.

annsixty Fri 10-Aug-18 13:16:00

So sorry to hear about your S and his knee Greyduster I hope it it fixable.
It is raining here and cold enough for me to put a thin cardigan on, it is "bin day" and my H gets obsessed by it, he heard one lorry and before I knew it he was at the bottom of the drive to check which one had been emptied.
He was wet and only in his slippers, he could have fallen on the sloping drive, I just stopped him trying to drag it to the top.
I'm afraid I really yelled at him and then felt awful, I now have the inside door key in my pocket.
I think he was ok yesterday, but to me the important thing is that I enjoyed the peace and I got a lot of jobs done so it will continue.
Panache I sympathise with your house saga, that is the reason I have no intention of moving unless it is forced on me.
N&G I hope this weather improves for your young visitors and also for you kitty , it is so ironic that children swelter at school and then the weather changes, it also makes for an expensive time trying to think of places to take them.
I am waiting for my food order to be delivered so will go and clear the kitchen now my lunch has settled.

Doodle Fri 10-Aug-18 13:38:27

I am sure your DH was fine yesterday ann and if he wasn't he will have forgotten about it by now. You really need these breaks otherwise you won't be able to cope.

grannyqueenie Fri 10-Aug-18 14:00:25

Welcome home maw you’re right this is indeed a good place for ”hunkering down”!
greyduster I think we’re all agreed that worrying about our children never stops. Does anyone remember those bounty packs, full of good advice for new mums, that used to be given out in maternity wards immediately post birth? I don’t think they mentioned that we’d be still worrying 40+ years later did they? hmm

What a nice surprise gagagran, enjoy and be sure to report back so we can all experience vicarious pleasure from your win.
Glad you made good use of your days respite, Ann, sounds like that arrangement will work better for you.

I’m another who likes that North Norfolk coastline, I’m hoping to entice the old boy back there for a mini break next year. It seems lots of kitchen folk have happy memories of the area.

Dull and showery here today so I’m glad I did the accumulated laundry yesterday. I know sometimes the heat has at times been a trial this summer but I must say I haven’t missed having to dry laundry indoors.
We had a group of 6 friends round to eat last night so I’d worked hard (in between processing laundry) to prepare food for us all, accommodating a few special dietary needs along the way. Everyone seemed to enjoy it, making it all feel worthwhile, leftovers are on the menu for today. Sounds like you’re having a busy few days too *kitty. I know exactly what you mean, how in retirement can it possibly be so difficult to organise a couple of days away?

We’re off to see the new Mamma Mia film later, I do love a bit of ABBA, although the old boy has threatened to disown me if I burst into song grin!
Wishing you all a pleasant rest of the day.

mcem Fri 10-Aug-18 14:09:48

Enjoy the film and watch out for the baby who is related to tanith!

Nannytopsy Fri 10-Aug-18 15:34:19

We all love N Norfolk too! Daughter off there after the wedding any we are taking family and friends in September.

soop Fri 10-Aug-18 16:43:28

Yet again I'm chasing my shadow...with the best will in the world, I'm unable to catch up. Have just come home from care home visit, celebratory lunch with pals, Tesco shop and goodness only knows what else. Gone 4:30 and I've yet to make the bed. Messy mare.

It's welcome back Maw and Galen (where've you been for so long?

Greyduster What has happened to your son will keep him home for as long as it takes to mend 100%. It will have been a very painful injury. And...you're so right...we never stop worrying about our "children. It's what we do.

Just need to make the bed, and take a long look at the dog portrait. Before I log off, I shall call in to say farewell until tomorrow after the art show duties. Keeping an eye on the kitchen . I refuse to allow it to close without a new one being open for you lot to crowd into. wink

NanaandGrampy Fri 10-Aug-18 17:23:59

Evening all !!

Busy start to the day as we had to stock up for our guests arrival next week. I take after my Mum and Nan and always over cater. So we now have enough to survive an extended siege !!

ouch ! Grey that sounds painful. Hope its something that can be easily fixed. rest will help of course ! I bet that wont go down well.

If you come to Norfolk Grannie pop in , you'll be most welcome !! You too Grey , in fact all come ...we'd love to see you all !!

Its been raining cats and dogs here so the laundry has been postponed for another day ---such a hardship ;-)

I feel your pain about the cost of new specs Panache . Not that it will help but on our recent holiday to Florida we got 4 pairs of glasses between us including reactalite coatings for £198 !!! How is it possible that they can do it and we cant ?

Wells is on our list to visit Callgirl and that little train is right up the boys street! I shall report back corner!

Right, its fish and chips for dinner so Id better give Grapy a shove- he is chef tonight !!

See you in the next kitchen !

Bellanonna Fri 10-Aug-18 17:26:35

The new kitchens are opening up apace. I’m sure they used to “last” longer after I first joined. I usually come in for a sit down and a look out across the sea, while enjoying everyone’s news. See you all soon. ☕️??

Panache Fri 10-Aug-18 17:38:44

Racing to get my half penny`s worth in before the kitchen door slams again........though fear not our Soop...... there are many of us who would cut off a finger before letting the Kitchen sail down the swanee!

Wanted to say I hope that your poor son will not be too incapicitated GreyD, but most of all that the knee can be repaired........your worries lessened and his pain eased.

On googling re the importance of `ops for cataracts there seems no hard and fast rule,though plainly if you have blurred vision(I call mine looking through a veil) and it stops you from following your enjoyments......in my case,reading,writing,computing,T.V......and affecting your walking.....then there is no doubt... an `op is needed.
I shall visit my GP next week.

That might save me one pair of specs N & G.......as I am unfortunately not off to Florida.......like some lucky people!!!

Mmmmm I can smell those Fish & chips and oh! boy they smell delicious! I am drooooooling!

Night friends and have a pleasant restful one

NonnaW Fri 10-Aug-18 17:47:18

A quick dash into the kitchen before it closes and I have to pick up the cake crumb trail to the next one.
We received today the proofs of the EA details they have put together. I must say, they’ve made it look very good, thanks heavens he came and took the photos while the sun was still shining! We still think it looks worth more than they suggest,, but I suppose they are the experts!
We took the dogs out yesterday afternoon thinking the rain was clearing up - wrong! We got absolutely soaked. Today we almost made it back home before it started again. I miss the sun already!

callgirl1 Fri 10-Aug-18 18:04:43

Just a quick visit to say to N&G, when we were in Florida we went into a large shop which was owned by a British man. He told us that they have to charge low prices because the Americans won`t pay high prices.

soop Fri 10-Aug-18 18:12:44

Ann Your husband won't have recall of the stern tone of voice. You were concerned for him. You feel responsible and us lot are in awe of your fortitude. flowers

soop Fri 10-Aug-18 18:16:01

Gaga The Isle of Wight is beautiful. When we lived at Lee on Solent we had a short break there. We went bed and breakfast and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

soop Fri 10-Aug-18 18:17:55

The sun is shining brightly. There is a gentle breeze. The sea is a beautiful shade of teal green. A perfect day in bonnie Kintyre.

soop Fri 10-Aug-18 18:19:15

kitty You are a trooper. I have made the bed and done a sweep round and flicked a duster hither and thither. Apart from which, I've done very else but enjoy myself. wink

soop Fri 10-Aug-18 18:21:15

Panache Norman's portrait has gone pear-shaped. I made the mistake of fiddling with it. Never mind, I have just this minute done a fresh sketch. Onwards and upwards...I shall not give in.

soop Fri 10-Aug-18 18:24:11

Panache Pretend I didn't address the above message to you. Ooooops! It is ChaosInc who is Mummy to Norman. A senior moment for which I apologise. blush

soop Fri 10-Aug-18 18:24:49

I shall now open our new kitchen. See you soon...

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion