Gransnet forums

Chat

Bottom drawer

(17 Posts)
Maybelle Wed 04-Jul-18 11:16:30

As I was baking this morning, raspberry Swiss roll in case anyone wants a slice, I started to think about how long I had had some of my kitchenware.
The two Pyrex mixing bowls and wooden rolling pin I brought before I was married, and they have been in constant use for 45 years this Autumn.
I wonder how many other people have things they brought as part of their bottom drawer?

yggdrasil Wed 04-Jul-18 11:21:09

Dunno about bottom drawer, but when I first started using a proper size spoon, (about age 3) my father scratched my initial on one that was just for me.
I still have it and use it for cereal every day. The H is still just visible.

kittylester Wed 04-Jul-18 11:21:17

I didn't buy stuff for my bottom drawer but I still use the remaining pan from a set we had as a wedding present. We still have, but don't use, some cut glass sherry and spirit glasses and the canteen of cutlery that seemed so grown upat the time.

fiorentina51 Wed 04-Jul-18 11:34:37

My Italian mum started my bottom drawer when I hit 13. She bought me an ottoman for the bed linen and blankets etc. I was horrified and told her flatly that I had no intention of getting married!
Less than 10 years later I did marry. The bed linen was very useful. Better still was the fact that my husband's Belgian granny had also been stashing away towels pillowcases and even pots and pans. Most of which, 45 years on, are still in use.
Pride of place is given to the large frying pan she gave us. Recently had the handle riveted back on but still going strong!

jusnoneed Wed 04-Jul-18 13:29:26

I'm still using Pyrex casserole dishes, my rolling pin and have a couple of my original glasses. I have a coffee set which I never use, one of the tall pots with cups and saucers, although it sits in the same cupboard as the everyday mugs.

ginny Wed 04-Jul-18 17:07:45

I have several items from my ‘bottom drawer’ and wedding gifts from 42 years ago. Cutlery, rolling pin, crockery amongst them.

ginny Wed 04-Jul-18 17:12:19

Also have tablecloths, Tupperware , cut glass dessert bowls and glasses. I have a special attachment to my Mums cake knife which is still in regular use and my Grandmothers Mother’s cake tins, still going strong after more than 80 years.

callgirl1 Wed 04-Jul-18 18:06:02

Not bottom drawer, but when we got married, my grandma gave me a large oval plate, willow pattern type design on it, a couple of tiny chips out of it. I know she`d had it for years, I`ve now had it for almost 55 years, use it every Sunday for carving meat, my lot will probably bin it when I kick the bucket!

MamaCaz Wed 04-Jul-18 18:15:18

No bottom drawer, but I still have quite a few kitchen items that I bought shortly after moving in with then DP, later (and current) DH. Two that bring back very strong memories every time I use them are a mixing bowl bought at Timothy White's in Worcester, and a cake tin that has seen a lot of action in its 39 years, but still does its job perfectly!

Happiyogi Wed 04-Jul-18 19:54:08

Ginny, 80 year old baking tins still in use must be some sort of record. That's amazing!

Deedaa Wed 04-Jul-18 20:25:38

I've got a holey spoon that was part of an engagement present, a set of Whitefriars whisky glasses that my boss gave me, and as a real antique, a bttle and can opener my grandfather bought when I was 10 which is still the best one I've ever found.

emmasnan Wed 04-Jul-18 20:35:00

I have a bread board that was a wedding present and is still in daily use. Also still use a cut glass vase although it has a chip in it now, it was bought for me by a favourite cousin who has since died so its very special to me.

ginny Wed 04-Jul-18 20:53:59

Happiyogi, my Grandmother was a professional cook and they were very good quality. A set of four square ones which have , among other things, been used for my parents and my wedding cake. One or other size is used for a number of Christmas cakes each year too.

Melanieeastanglia Wed 04-Jul-18 21:16:20

I still have a cheese grater that was in my mother-in-law's bottom drawer in 1954 and I am sure other people will still have things that their mothers and mothers-in-law had years ago.

Nannykay Wed 04-Jul-18 22:14:28

I have a lot of bottom draw things still in use, Pyrex dishes, and some baking tins. I inherited lots of my mums, and mil kitchen items, along with some of my grandma’s. I have a jelly mound which belonged to my great grandma, it isn’t used anymore but I have it out on display.

Chewbacca Wed 04-Jul-18 22:23:09

Most of my bottom drawer things disappeared years ago, one way or another, but there is one thing that I still have and continue to use occasionally and that Mrs Beeton's Everyday Cookery Recipe Book. Rather dog eared now and old fashioned. The pages on the different cuts of meat, and how to cook them, are still helpful but the vegetarian section is only 2 pages!

Auntieflo Wed 04-Jul-18 22:27:29

Amongst other things I have a bread board and knives, a set of cookery utensils, an addis brush, pyrex bowls, canteen of cutlery, a Good Housekeeping cookery book, oh and DH is wearing quite well also grin